PDA

View Full Version : animators website / portfolio

telliott
08-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey all,

I've been a animator working on the fringes of the industry for quite some time now. I'm frustrated with diminishing budgets, miniscule time frames and lack of appreciation for the art. I'm trying to transition from 2d to the 3d world and have started grad school. I hope to transition to a junior position in a larger company.

Unfortunately, I think I've put up with about all that I can take from my current job. I'm looking to leave immediately. I would really appreciate any critique on my portfolio website, www.toddelliott.com (http://www.toddelliott.com/) . And please, don't worry about hurting my feelings. Honesty is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Todd Elliott
www.toddelliott.com (http://www.toddelliott.com)

Maximus Groff
08-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi telliot, just checked your web site and the 'look and feel' its good, but IMHO to rock
instead of just glowing your icones, the other frame could be with aggressive colour - looks
like you have leaved things with minimum effort (BTW when your email gets litted, its very
hard to see the actual address... i know, sounds dumb but IMHO its very unatractive (choose a dark greenish glow and it will be ok)..

The frogman - The head part its ok but the rest seems more like a 'fast test' - and rigging wise
the hand in the first 5 secs looks unaturally bended... really... if i were you, do very fast movements - not slow, or u will get lots more of time to anyone nitpick everything.

'My very first ...' - remove that, people that have money wanna see just your maximum performance.

The heads - thats its so boring to see on every site... its good quality, but u gotta jump over the mass websites of heads ... perhaps do hands or feets that will be more unique.

Kitchen Items - remove that also.... looks like very beginning 3d... make a comp with other
work to show these off.

Character design - i like your 'gorillaz' type of painting... looks like ur type of work is great for
storyboarding... group all these into a storyboard.

Layout - looks like your character design with more painting. Merge those two IMO.

Animation - this is your strong point. i cant crits these because its not my hobby-field..hehe

Hope this can help u out, im just being honest....
Groff

sgtsam
08-15-2004, 10:11 AM
other than those items already previously mentioned, I think its a good simple design. Very easy to navigate and gets your point across.

Giacomo_M
08-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Hey there-

Great work!

I'll just say what others have said at least a thousand times: don't promote yourself as a generalist. What job are you looking for: modeler, animator, rigger, or storyboard artist? Focus on ONE job description and put together a site with NOTHING BUT work that fits that description. And that will mean creating *additional* work: if you're not motivated to do that on your own, then take classes and build your portfolio.

Also, I'd recommend VASTLY simplifying your site (unless you're looking for a career in web design.) When I'm looking at people's online portfolios, I want to get to the work *as fast as possible* with an *absolute minimum* of navigational graphics. Look at CNN.com, Amazon.com, or Google, and do something as simple as that. Set it up so that the viewer can use the "back" button on the browser to navigate- you have your own ""back" button, which is disconcerting.

Include your resume as a PDF in the standard business format, rather than how you have it now. Don't include anything on your resume that suggests you were *anything other than delighted* with every other position you've held- it suggests you might be difficult to work with.

Best of luck. Be sure to post here and let everyone know how you're progressing.

GM

telliott
08-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the helpful advice/critiques. I really REALLY appreciate all the comments. I will attempt to update the site in the near future and post an announcement.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.