PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp #9: Red Eyed Tree Frog - Spartan Hoplite

ElysiumGX
08-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I realize there is very little time left in the competition, for most people, but I thought I'd join anyway. Since this was my idea, and I am a judge, my entry will NOT be submitted at deadline :deal:
But I still can't pass up creating an interesting character based on my own idea.

A red eyed tree frog (they're so cool looking), as a Spartan Hoplite (geddit?)
concept in progress:
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/hoplite/hoplite.jpg

Hoplites were infantry men during Ancient Greece. Their main weapons were a shield, a spear, and usually a sword. The shield was mainly used to defend the soldier beside them, and to be protected by the soldier on the opposite side. They battled in tight formations, an innovation in military strategy.

ElysiumGX
08-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi again everyone. I'm evacuating as we speak to avoid the path of Hurricane Charley. Which means I'm taking the PC's with me. My crappy little trailer home may not stand a chance.:cry: I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, but if it comes to worst, I'll find an internet connection and finish up the comp as planned. This is the second hurricane I've had to run from during a game art comp. :banghead:

I was planning on modeling this character today.l

dubge
08-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Be safe man. good luck hope all turns out good.

Oldbean
08-14-2004, 03:58 PM
What bad luck, I hope you get to finish this.

DaemonMagus
08-14-2004, 04:37 PM
I was going to drive up to Disney, but the hurricane would've made it pointless. Hope you have time to get this piece done, looking forward to it.

LoTekK
08-14-2004, 04:41 PM
In an interesting bit of coincidence, this weeks Decisive Battles showcased the hoplites in the battle of Thermopylae. And what a showcase it was. 300 of them, with 700 Athenians playing a not-so-major role, held off almost a quarter-million Persians over the span of a couple days. :eek:

Hope everything turns out okay for you. Stay safe, man. Hoping to see your take on this one.

glynnsmith
08-14-2004, 04:59 PM
holy mother...there's a hurricane warning and he's still doing the comp !!!

talk about commitment... :p

G...

ElysiumGX
08-22-2004, 05:05 AM
I'm back.

Modeling half finished.

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/hoplite/hoplitewip1.jpg

ElysiumGX
08-22-2004, 06:40 PM
I work in quads, so here is a view without triangles.
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/hoplite/hoplitewip2.jpg

I believe the mesh is finished for now. I'd like to begin texturing soon. The deadline is approaching, so I'll need to find more judges. I have a mod project to work on as well, so I'm ready to move on.

vrapp
08-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Looking great, but I think that this model would benefit from some more stylising, since it's not a realistic character anyway.

Your mesh is done really well, now give the model some more shape and volume. :)

Keep it up/Vidar

ElysiumGX
08-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks. You're right. Taking a second look, it's kinda boring.
Added more detail to the head and armor. I'm at 3000 tris now.

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/hoplite/hoplitewip3.jpg

Oldbean
08-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Some webbed hands and feet wouldn't hurt.

glynnsmith
08-23-2004, 06:31 AM
just 2 quick questions :

are you looking at posing him in a "pre leap" position, like in your concept, or are you going for the bipedal human stance...?

and

how are you going to handle the tongue...?

looks pretty cool so far... :)

G...

Supervlieg
08-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Looks like a nice clean model. I'm not sure how those fingers and toes will deform though. They might need some extra polies in the joints.

ElysiumGX
08-23-2004, 02:44 PM
are you looking at posing him in a "pre leap" position, like in your concept, or are you going for the bipedal human stance...?

and

how are you going to handle the tongue...?

He's sitting down in the concept. I may simply pose it standing and holding the weapons. I don't have software for rigging characters.

and

the tongue will most likely be a texture inside the mouth. it's not important. i'll close the mouth once it's textured.

They might need some extra polies in the joints.You're right, I'll add a few more.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.