PDA

View Full Version : Intergration with After Effects

kevin3d
08-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I am curious about XSI/Foundation's ability to create output for use with After Effects (and perhaps other compositing apps).

I have a chance to upgrade an educational copy Cinema 4D to R9 Professional version for the exact price as purchasing Foundation. Foundation has alot of great features that C4D core doesn't have. However, the one thing C4D seems to have over Foundation is that it has great multi-pass output AND will create After Effect project files, complete with 3D camera information.

Does Foundation have any compatibility similar to this? Even as 3rd party plugin?

chesterjoe
08-12-2004, 06:06 PM
None of xsi's flavors have a "converting to aftereffects cam" option, but there is a script ( standalone ) that can convert .3ds cams to ascii data and aftereffects and combustion cams, so you could export your scene to 3ds format and have that script get the cam xyz position info into aftereffects. ( don't remember where it is on the internet, I had it once and never used it. I'll try to find it but my memory is not helping right now, maybe try a google search about that)

But most of the time working with passes just gives you the control you need, because even having the 3d cam info you would only be able to use it to place 2d objects "in your scene" in aftereffects since you can not do real 3d cam moves and get your 3d objects to behave like 3d.

I'm not sure about this but I bet foundation has passes as any other xsi version, so you can render specular, reflection, ambient,. diffuse, shadow, and so on seperatelly and composite for further control. By the way aftereffects reads .zpic files rendered from softimage so you could do depth of field and distance "fog" ( don't remember how they call it in aftereffects) with that channel, though zpic might not be the best way to get those effects since you get aliased borders. Better go for a depth pass and use that as a matte for bluring or even better if you have acces to a license of image lounge plugin you can use your depth map with its realdepth of field plugin.

Hope this helps

kevin3d
08-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Chesterjoe,

Yes, that helps alot! Thank you.

I read that XSI/Foundation can do RLA files, so I'm correct in that a single RLA can include ambient, diffuse, specular as seperate layers or channels (haven't worked much with RLA)?

chesterjoe
08-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Are you sure it can render rla's?? I'm on 3.5.1 maybe for version 4 xsi can do that. Anyway if it can rla has several channels, I've used it in the past in 3dsmax, not sure wich channels could xsi render in it, but in 3dsmax you had ambient, diffuse, specular, reflection, object ids, and something similar to zpic for depth fading, and maybe a few more channels that can't remember now. Combustion works a lot better with rla's than aftereffects.

EDIT: well I had it in front of me and never noticed it,hehe 3.5.1 does render rla's too :) but It seems to render in that format without giving you options for channels or anything alike, so maybe it just uses the rgb info and writes it down in rla format, not sure about that

kevin3d
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
maybe I'll have to do a test render with the demo...I'd think/hope that it would have some way of working with Compositing/Editing apps given that XSI is a AVID product.

thorn3d
08-12-2004, 07:19 PM
If XSI can output render in RPF format, that will contain camera data similar to what you're getting from C4D. The only difference will be that you'll have to click a couple buttons in AE to finish the task.

Don't know if RPF is a format option for XSI tho...

thorn

kevin3d
08-12-2004, 07:26 PM
I just found this...hmmmm....

http://www.mindthink.de/ohm/aftereffectsxsi

Can any current XSI users tell us if this is any good?

JohnnyRandom
08-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I am curious about XSI/Foundation's ability to create output for use with After Effects (and perhaps other compositing apps).
From XSIv4.0 documentation:

Select a format for the image files from the Image Format list. The default is the PIC format.

The following is a list of the formats supported by XSI:

.pic (Softimage)

.rla (Wavefront)

.bmp (Microsoft Bitmap)

.jpg (Jpeg with maximum quality)

.tif (TIFF)

.yuv (Quantel)

.tga (TARGA)

.ct (Mental Images)

.sgi (SGI)

.map (Memory Mapped Texture)

.als (Alias)

thorn3d
08-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Arg.

Thanks for the list, tho.

thorn

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.