PDA

View Full Version : foundation installation problems

tredeger
08-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Anyone else having trouble installing their new copy of foundation?

Just downloaded it after purchase. Gets through all the file copying steps and i think is 98% complete when it hangs. I'm on XP Pro and the system just locks up sometime around the steps:

registering COM Dlls
and
registering SPDLs

can't seem to get past that point. Tried thrice. Not running anything else at the time. Very very frustrating. SOS!

thanks in advance,

cheers,
Jazz

MnFlojte
08-13-2004, 12:18 AM
I am having different problems. I start to download and it says it's a 168mb file, but stops downloading at around 114mb. I then try to install and it tells me my file is corrupt and that I should get a new copy. I am on my third try, so hopefully the third time's a charm.

Any ideas?

MnFlojte
08-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Well, the third time WAS a charm. Now to play with all the features! A bit different from C4D CE+

crgowo
08-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Does anyone get this error when trying to download.
Access Denied

Sorry, you do not have access to this file!

Could there be to many people downloading? Im tring to get the trial. Ive never used xsi and would like to see if i can get used to it.

3DDave
08-13-2004, 04:25 AM
downloaded and installed fine here.

Try downloading it again.

It's also not a zip, but an exe so your anti-virus software may be trying to scan it while downloading?

ngrava
08-13-2004, 04:51 AM
LOL! I just got back from Siggraph after seeing the XSI for $495 and "Try free for 30 days" thing. The first thing I did was download it. I installed it with no problems, went to launch it and then it says, "Your 30 day trial period has ended. Do you want to buy a license?" He he, if this is some kind of marketing ploy... You know, "I tried to get the demo to work but it didn't so I just paid for it anyway" kind of thing. :)

-=GB=-

crgowo
08-13-2004, 05:32 AM
i guess the server was just really busy or something because i finally was able to download it. :)

Signal2Noise
08-13-2004, 05:47 AM
tredeger: Are you aborting the installer (CTRL+ALT+DEL) when you think it's hanging? How long are you waiting for before determining the installer froze? Normally the install, once it reaches the COM DLLs and SPDLs, does take a while but eventuaally the install does complete itself. Try waiting 5 to 10 minutes for it. I believe when I installed Foundation my 2.8GHz desktop took about 2-4 minutes after that point and my 1.6 GHz laptop took 5 or so minutes. Both are running XP Pro. Not sure if there is any bearing on it when using XP Home although Soft state they do not support Home.

MnFlojte: Are you using a download manager (i.e. Gozilla) to get the file? Softimage only support Download Accelerator. Try that. Even better is to not use one at all. File size when fully downloaded is 172078 KB so of course you're getting a file corrupt message with a 114 MB file. Try right-clicking the file and choose "Save Target As...", sometimes that seems to work better. Also, make sure the folder/drive you're downloading to isn't full or near capacity.

crgowo: Yep, this happened for me too a couple of nights ago. I sent Soft an email about it but an hour after sending the email the download page worked. Not sure if Soft actually fixed it or it fixed itself. Make sure your Soft Profile is completely & accurately filled out and submitted. Disable any download manager utility (see my response to MnFlojte above). Could be a simple case of too many people accessing at the same time. Keep trying and send Softimage an email about it. [EDIT] Just read that you were able to DL XSI, crgowo. Excellent stuff!

Whew! That's it. Hope this all helps.

lots
08-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Heh i've got a problem with XSI EXP (hey i want to try it out .. err learn tools before i try the demo of foundations ;)) i can download it and all but it doesnt seem to want to install.. it just crashes after unpacking the installer..

possibly this could be due to WinXP SP2.. tho I am running the final release of the thing.. you know how those Service packs go... ;)

anyway any ideas on why that doesnt work?
i'm going to redownload the installer again and try that.. perhaps it got corrupt or something.. we'll see

Signal2Noise
08-13-2004, 06:15 AM
...possibly this could be due to WinXP SP2.. tho I am running the final release of the thing.. you know how those Service packs go...

Hmmm...didn't think SP2 was released yet.

DaliFan
08-13-2004, 06:22 AM
Heh i've got a problem with XSI EXP (hey i want to try it out .. err learn tools before i try the demo of foundations ;)) i can download it and all but it doesnt seem to want to install.. it just crashes after unpacking the installer..

possibly this could be due to WinXP SP2.. tho I am running the final release of the thing.. you know how those Service packs go... ;)

anyway any ideas on why that doesnt work?
i'm going to redownload the installer again and try that.. perhaps it got corrupt or something.. we'll see
No problems running XSI here with XP - SP2 final

Signal2Noise
08-13-2004, 06:27 AM
No problems running XSI here with XP - SP2 final
Where are you guys getting SP2 from???

lots
08-13-2004, 08:48 AM
microsoft's download site ;)

its not released on the automatic update site yet.. thats slated for the 16th.. but the network install is available here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en) its about 266 or so megs, larger than it will be for those downloading via windows update.. but this is the final release if you wanna grab it before the rush ;)

its pretty nice .. compared to previously... anyway i think im gonna start a thread of my own for my problem so as to not hijack this one :P

tredeger
08-13-2004, 01:08 PM
well, after several abortive attempts at installing the download, my whole system just started going spontaneously flaky. So i sacrificed a chicken to the computer gods and spend half a day reinstalling my OS. fun times.

but now i am the proud owner and successful operator of the coolest all around 3D program on the planet. now if i can just get past this tingly all over feeling and find some productivity in the euphoria.

thanks for the suggestions and help folks. good luck with all your XSI adventures.

Giant_Robo
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
I also download the 30 day trial, and once it was installed it said that 0 days were left.
I tried to contact softimage and seemed to get some sort of automated reply. If anybody has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.
-D

rgwarren
08-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Would have been nice to try out the demo. However, the app thinks I've already used it for 30 days.

The response from support didn't improve my desire to switch from C4D. Hopefully they get a working demo without the date issue.

SheepFactory
08-14-2004, 06:19 PM
the demo is working fine here , installed without a problem and the 30 day remains.

The problem I think is something with your computer and not the demo.

rgwarren
08-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Might be the Windows XP SP2 I installed. I'll try the demo on another machine that doesn't have SP2 on it.

Giant_Robo
08-14-2004, 09:33 PM
rgwarren,

I havent received a reply yet from support in regards to the trial period being expired. Can I ask what the response was?

-D

lots
08-27-2004, 05:05 AM
I just tried to install and run the demo for xsi 4 as well.. and now it seems that im suffering from the "0 of 30 days" thing that everyone else here is.. if anyone's got a solution to this .. i'd be great to know.. i'd really like to try out XSI before i really consider buying it ...

ngrava
08-27-2004, 07:36 AM
It's funny because I had the same problem but then I noticed that my clock was a year off. :D Anyway, I actually do still have this issue on my workstation at home but my laptop seems to be fine (The one that was a year off).-=GB=-

rgwarren
08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Open a command window in the XSI bin directory.

run setvars.bat

run xsi.bat <--which will start the app

and the 0 of 30 days problem seems to go away.

lots
08-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I was unable to find the "setvars.bat" file you refered to.. it doesnt seem to be installed anywhere within the xsi installation folder...

rgwarren
08-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Sorry. In the Application/bin directory there is a batch file named setenv.bat

I must have been thinking of another program when I typed the post.

1. Open a command window in the application/bin directory
2. run setenv.bat
3. run xsi.bat

This works for me. Running xsi.bat alone brings up the 0 days left message.

lots
08-27-2004, 09:14 PM
well it doesnt work for me .. heh :/

it still tells me that i've got 0 of 30 days left to use it.. On a side note i took a look at the xsi.bat file and discovered that it ran setenv.bat first and then xsi anyway.. so i dont think this will do it .. for me anyway :/

thanks for the help tho

rgwarren
08-28-2004, 02:57 AM
My machine might be really messed up. My demo is perma-locked at 30 days. It never seems to count down at all. Tech support has sent test programs and no one seems to be able to figure out why 1) I can't use the demo or 2) I can use it forever depending on running that batch file.

Just a tad scary in my opinion.

JDex
08-28-2004, 03:03 AM
Sorry to hear this folks... I would try not to think it reflective of SI... it is new tech to them (they have always used dongles to node lock) and it's impossinle to test every variable in every system configuration. Strange happenings I must admit tho. Patience.

Signal2Noise
08-28-2004, 03:52 AM
rgwarren, my advice would be to BACK UP everything you need on your system, wipe (i.e. format & fdisk) the drive and reinstall the o/s. Then reinstall everything else. Plan a good day or weekend to do it. Not the best solution perhaps but I think it might solve your troubles.

rgwarren
08-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Backup and re-install? Not a chance. Now that the "demo" will run forever I'm not changing anything until I've spent some time actually giving it a try. I've spent a week just trying to get it to just run.

Signal2Noise
08-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Backup and re-install? Not a chance. Now that the "demo" will run forever I'm not changing anything until I've spent some time actually giving it a try. I've spent a week just trying to get it to just run.
Whoops! Misread the part where you have an "unlimited run" demo. Never mind then. Have fun!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.