PDA

View Full Version : texture layer editor the old way?

preludian
08-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi,

just working myself through the great tutorials from Softimage, which are really great and extreamely helpful. Had two XSI crashes though, funny, good to know that even XSI only cooks with water, too.

But now to my question, the tutorial II called Render Tree & Textures (Adding Texture Layers with the Texture Layer Editor ), which I downloaded with all the documentation and files and so on, nice move Softimage:thumbsup: let me work directly without having to wait for ups.
Any idea how I can do this with the Foundation version?? Is there a tutorial for this??

The remark from the tut doesn't help very much ;)

Before You Continue...

The final sections of this tutorial show you how to work with the texture layer editor. However, depending on the licensing options for your copy of XSI, this feature may not be available to you. If this is the case, please skip to the end of the tutorial and read the exciting conclusion. Thx again and CUsoon

ThE_JacO
08-12-2004, 01:15 AM
foundation has no TLE.
an equivalent setup can be achieved with mixer nodes, TLE only makes it easier on those used to stacked material editing ala max/lw

preludian
08-12-2004, 01:21 AM
foundation has no TLE.I know I know, but my question was how to continue the tut with no TLE, see I like tuts, but I like tuts which I can follow even more, so it would have been nicer from XSI to have provided a Foundation way and not simply say 'Bad luck for you'. Don't forget I'm a total XSI newbie and even the easiest task has to be learned first.

ThE_JacO
08-12-2004, 01:29 AM
I haven't seen the tutorial, but what TLE does is allowing you to stack textures (any node actually, but the explanation is simplier with textures) one on top of the other and choose blending and masking modes.
the basic use is very much like photoshop layers, taking several inputs and turning them out in one single output.

you will find that this kind of thing can be done with mixer nodes (mix2colors and mix8colors) chained to each other in creative ways and eventually some color nodes (color basic, color boolean and so on) to supply the color maths side.

just get a grid, a couple of textures and start playing, when you get the hang of how to reproduce the most common situations move up to more mixing or just apply what you found out to the tutorial.

preludian
08-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks, I' start digging into mixers, if XSI lets me... :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.