PDA

View Full Version : Vast Landscape

Shawshank
08-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi there!

Landscape==> http://www.allthegoodness.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=500

This is a matte painting for my final year university animation project. It is designed to sit in the background, with a 2D animated character walking in the foreground. The setting is Nepal, and the character is going to be a young Nepali boy. I am aiming to create a sense of huge distance and atmosphere. I'm going to be posting this in the Evocative forum as well, so please post comments there too!! :) ==> http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1501839

I would like feedback on several technical points:

*What do you think of the overall colour scheme?

*As far as the level of detail goes, i am aiming to create focused areas where the detail is higher, in order to draw the eye. The other less important areas are going to be 'gestured' ...think of the impressionist painters.... ---- What do you think of this approach? Is it happening in the right areas??

*Currently i am working on the foreground area, I realise it has to be a bit lighter.

*All done in Photoshop with Wacom tablet...

Any comments will be very much appreciated, as i will be working on this piece over the next couple of days- updating regularly.

Word out to the CG Talk Massif!!! Cheers...

Tim-Gibson
08-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Colour's great, and i think the detailing is working OK.

Couple of comment thou: I think the little houses stand out/come forward too much from the hill, either pull back that blue on the roof or maybe chuck some more in.

U could lighten the outside edge of that path the boys walking on to bring it forward more, and generaly lighten that foreground area. (u mentioned u were gonna do that anyway)

Also, my eye is drawn a to the bottom left corner of the picture, maybe due to the angled line running down the stepped hills. u could either up the detail or possibly drop it back even further - it could be the trees or the trees colour thats contributing. Also once there's movement in the foreground with the boy, attention will be drawn to him, so may be unimportant.

The angle line from the top of the stepped terraces 'starts' a bit funky at the top of hill.

clouds are fantastic! overall really cool though, and a nice laid back kinda vibe, an peacefull early morning walk thru a wartorn country. ahhhhhhh

TG (feel free to disagree)

TimMurphy
08-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I think that the highlights on the wheat work really well, and the same technique could be used in the rest of the foreground.
This would really clear up the question of light dirrection.
Also maybe a little more defenition on the mid-ground.

billy the kid
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock:
Cool. Keep up the good work!

:drool:

pha3z
08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
great overall feeling. i love the piece very much!

crit: this might not matter mcuh as it might not show up in your animation but it depends on how long the image is displayed on the screen. But i see some detail problems with the clouds. It looks like you rushed to throw the back layers of the sky down real fast. This creates some Focus issues since the sharp cheap lines stand out and look like they're in focus when they shouldn't be. Can you smudge those lines around or something and blur htem out just a little? or maybe remove some of them to clean it up in all together.

Tim-Gibson
08-19-2004, 10:37 PM
word.

I think pha3z is right about clouds. its kinda a crazy detail in all areas but the mid-ground thing which can throw you off. It means you expect that detail throughout.

Outie, TG

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.