PDA

View Full Version : *Maya 6 Transfer Surface Question*

kmanning
08-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know, first of all, if Transfer Surface in maya 6 is an efficient Normal Map creation tool? Secondly does anyone know if the highres and lowres model need to be located at the origin? I have been getting some interesting results, and I wanted to make sure I have all the bases covered but unfortinatly there isnt much information avalible for this tool (that I have found) Lastly, Im worried about the time. In maya this pocess takes an unbelivably long time. I feel like im missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like me to explain my situation I will. thanks

sebast1an2
08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi, I also played around some minutes with this feature but can't see anything on my gf 5900xt, even if I activate hq-rendering and intercatice shading... would be nice if someone could post a testscene or something..

spacemunky
08-12-2004, 03:53 AM
attach the G=normal camera Y R=normal camera X B=normal camera Z......in the connection editor of the shader

kmanning
08-12-2004, 04:09 PM
ALRIGHT!! so I got it to work, Although there are still a few problems, and the calculation took FOREVER, but it looks nice, and considering these maps need to be generated only once, Ill live. Anyway, I thought that I would explain the method a little bit incase someone wants to try it. Sorry I cant post any Renders.

1.) import both models into the scene at the origin.
2.) load the plugin TransferSurfaceinfo.lib
3.) select your highRez
4.) shift select your lowRez
5.) make sure you are in the rendering toolset
6.) go to Lighting/Shading > Transfer Surface info (option box)

settings

transfer: alows you to set either tangent space normals (for animated objects)
or object space normals (non-animated objects)

map: I dont think I need to explain this do I?

Shading network: its pretty straight forward I think but I would sugest "Perserve Current Shading Network" this will not change your scene at all and back out the normal map in your specified location

Search Method: Im still testing this but I can say that if you have a very very higRez model nearest interesection seems to be much more precise than utmost. for more information on these 2 check maya help. like I said, im still testing. *note: Nearest intersection also adds a lot of time to the map generating process*

search depth: how deep into the model do you want the tool to check?

overscan: this its the best feature! it will smooth out the seams of your map (ateast it will try) giving you a much cleaner map compaired to, lets say Zbrush... keep in mind though, the more you overscan the longer this process will take.. and if your working with more than a million polys like me, get ready to wait all day.

k hope this helps even in the slightest, you can find all this information in the help file, and more.. so enjoy ill let ya know when I learn more

Artician
09-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Hi,
I've been able to successfully render my normal maps and apply them to my objects. Now I'm unable to get the normal maps to render in realtime on my objects in the viewport. I'm a Max user and I'm just now (re)learning the Maya platform, so I'm a bit behind. I have looked through the help and searched the forums to no avail. The best tip I was able to find was in this thread:

"attach the G=normal camera Y R=normal camera X B=normal camera Z......in the connection editor of the shader"

However I do not understand this completely. I've gotten as far as locating the Connection Editor but poking through the immense number of options I have after that just results in more confusion. I would appreciate it very much if someone could better explain this to me step by step.
To explain how far I was able to get at the moment: I was using the middle mouse button to drop the current shader into both sides of the Connection Manager, and then I attempted to connect the normal camera X, Y and Z to the R, G and B channels. This must be the wrong way to go, obviously, but that's why I'm asking for help. ;)

Many thanks in advance!

djtomservo
10-14-2004, 06:13 PM
This might be old news by now but:

To view normal maps in the viewport, load the normal map into a file, then middle click drag the file onto a material (lambert,phong,etc) and pull down to Other when the menu comes up. Then in the connection editor, select outcolor in the left side and normalcamera in the right side. To see it in the viewport, select high quality rendering under shading.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.