PDA

View Full Version : critique - mclaren f1

bmendoza
08-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Please critique my modelling and texturing of this car (mclaren f1). Im planning to use this on my demo reel (modelling and texturing). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://members.shaw.ca/bmendoza11/ben.jpg

madart
08-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Good modelling and texturing, but what is missing though, I feel, are reflections. Reflections would help make the lines in the texture, look right. I'm thinking of the lines going across the car, at the moment I can't see why the middle line all of a sudden swerves to the right. Or is there a reason for not having any reflections?

Otherwise very good.

Madeleine

Pumuckle
08-11-2004, 06:26 PM
nice model, definetly demo reel worthy in my opinion. and i agree with madart about the reflections, and specular highlights

bmendoza
08-12-2004, 07:09 AM
I avoided adding the reflections because I want to cut my render time. Mental Ray is a slow renderer so I decided not to put it in. I guess the car looks dull without the reflections. Thanks for the suggestions Madart, I'll keep that on mind when I work more on this car model.

madart
08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
You are using Maya aren't you? You can get reflections with the software renderer... can't you? You add an image under reflection color. Spec hilights would be good too, as Pumuckle said.

Pendrin2020
08-15-2004, 03:45 AM
more ambient light around the side skirts and quarter panel. Ditto on the reflections and specular light. Incredible model, man.

bmendoza
08-26-2004, 08:35 PM
so here's another render with reflections and specs...

i switched from maya to xsi... this is rendered on xsi with no final gather or global illumination.

http://members.shaw.ca/bmendoza11/ben1.jpg

ToddD
08-27-2004, 02:07 AM
The model looks great, the renders aren't doing it justice. I don't think you need to switch between software, just iron out your lighting and materials.
Your paint in the second 1 looks way too reflective, I would say you need some sort of falloff for reflections.
Mental ray can perform well, just take time to experiment with the settings. I mean if this is for your demo reel, it is worth making a hi quality render. Do some smaller size renders till you come up with something you like, then make a large render, can't take much more than an hour or 2 on even the slowest pc.

madart
08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
This render is much better, you can see the model clearer. The modelling is great by the way, as I have said before. The reflecion map looks like a black & white painted map. If so try a photo with suitable environment. The windows still look grey and matte, do you have a reflecions map on them? I don't know why you switched, but I have noticed that Maya demands more memory than XSI, you can do more in XSI than in Maya, when it comes to rendering. This is my personal experience. What is so good about XSI is that you so easily can make/change quality settings to the render and size, when you're testing. Don't forget reflections on the "navkapslarna", can't remember the word for it, in English, the middle of the wheels, shiny part....

Will be interesting to see the progress!

Designer2
08-30-2004, 08:25 AM
realy good.
i think you need to make more inhancements on glass shader, lower the value of the Eccentricity give it a very low value, and higher the Specular role off, lower also your diffuse and try black color for the color.

good so far, give your reflection a better environment and make your glass also a bit reflective..
i also recommend you go to highend3d site and figure out more metallic shaders try to see how chrome can be made to give it for your car's rims, try to use many lighting techniques until you are satisfied...

keep up

bmendoza
08-31-2004, 08:58 AM
here's another render, done in maya.
i switched back to maya! I dont know why i keep switching back and forth between maya and xsi, but this time i will stick to maya, even though maya's mental ray render is harder to configure.

here's the update: windows are now reflective (0.07 reflectivity), lighting is done with HDRI and a spotlight with intensity of 0.5 (i overlit the scene on purpose, but not too much though). reflections also coming from the HDRI. I also redone the textures.

im pretty much satisfied with this result/render_test so i might start rendering this project and move on to another...

any last word is much appreciated! Thanks!

http://members.shaw.ca/bmendoza11/ben2.jpg

JasonA
09-01-2004, 02:12 AM
The low poly cage looks nice and lite, and it smooths well. Overall its a clean model :) From a quick glance what I see is that it needs more hump over the front wheels. The vent ports need to have rounded corners, not square. Also its missing alot of little details, like the gas cap, door buttons, door hinges etc etc.

Designer2
09-01-2004, 05:45 AM
amazing work so far,
little more inhancements, i suggest you try to lower the diffuse of your glass and make it full transparent, i also liked the previouse render more it was givving more reflections that define car's surface, O.K go back to previose reflections & try just to enhance the glass and try a render, give the light little more touches.
good luck, the model is amazing...

BTW: you have many possibilities to go for and it is realy up to you, you may also make the car dirty not reflective one, just try your best to make it looks real and trust your eye...
:thumbsup:

ace4016
09-02-2004, 06:40 AM
I would have to go with JasonA about the details. With out the door handles/button or what ever it is makes the rear body looka bit akward like something is missing(maybe its only because I am tryin to model the McLaren myself, althought a concpet version, and I noticed every detail about the car). Looks a little empty without the gas pump(s) too. The visible hinges on the top of the car make the top look empty, they are just little black triangles. Also the rear wheel kind of comes out a bit more and a very small portion of it sticks out away from the protection of the body of the car while you have it under the car completely(you probably didnt understand that). The color of paint for the McLaren is different I think but maybe its te lighting that it seems different or maybe its just that you wanted the main color a little bit different, plus I havent seen a model with the perfect color match but I guess the color doesnt matter.

Theres an airvent near the rear tire that aren't there on the real McLaren, or from what I have seen, expect this toy which might be the F1 and not the F1 LM. Don't think thats on the LM model but I could be wrong. You model WAY better then me, good model overall.

bmendoza
09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
so here's another render... maya software renderer (no Final Gather or Global Illumination)
worked more on the lighting and added a few extra details eg. the push button for the door.

http://members.shaw.ca/bmendoza11/ben4.jpg

I'm ready to render a shot for this baby! :)

madart
09-07-2004, 06:27 AM
But I would still like to see some improvements to the glass. I suggest you follow Desiger2's suggestion, about the glass and lower the diffuse, make it transparent and add more reflectivity. The same goes for the the little glass where the head lights are.

Hub caps are maybe too white? Do about the same as I suggested you do for the glass. And add a blurry photo for reflection map.

I think the shadow is too sharp.

The tail lights are they lit? Will you make them light up their surrounding somewhat?

Really good work, can't wait to see the progress!

bmendoza
09-07-2004, 08:05 AM
this would definitely be my final render post for this car... im going to render 360 shots for this car and put it on my demo reel (by the way, im trying to get an internship as a modeler/texturer here in vancouver, canada. any advice to get myself into the industry would be great!) yes, i am still a newbie! im moving on to another projects. i will post new projects to this forum as well.

my final modification to this render are:

- lowered the diffuse a little bit, not too much (i did not notice any difference myself) and
made the shadow a little smoother. (thanks madart for reminding me)

- i did not blur the reflection map, instead i put a SamplerInfo node to the shader, connected
it to a Ramp which then i used to control the reflection map, i made the reflection map less
visible, instead of blurring it. (thanks Designer2 for the comments on reflections)

- as i said before, i added few extra details. (thumbs up for JasonA and ace4016 for pointing
that out!)

- render was done with Maya's Software Render. I DID NOT USE FINAL GATHER OR
GLOBAL ILLUMINATION! Although they give better results, the time it takes to render
one frame is just too looooonng!!! And besides, ever since i stopped using MentalRay,
my lighting skills improved 10x, because I have to make decisions on how i place lights,
setting up shadows, setting the proper value for each lights, etc, etc. instead of just
putting a big sphere with HDR Image and letting the computer do the rest. (wow, that was
a long sentence, with improper grammars and punctuations, i hope somebody
understands it :)

- thanks everyone for your helpful comments/suggestions.

http://members.shaw.ca/bmendoza11/ben5.jpg

madart
09-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Wow! I do like it now, but... I really would like to see a little bluish tint to the glass.. either as a reflction or in the colour itself.

But apart from that.. I do like your rendering, the soft look, the reflections on the car and the lighting set-up.

The modelling and texturing is, as I have said before, absolutely great!

You're right about the samplerInfo node. Know what you mean by the HDRI-set-up.

Well, good luck, on your internship hunt!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.