PDA

View Full Version : Solid modelling and booleans

dvornik
08-03-2002, 04:48 AM
I work in max, but from what I know in most surface modellers booleans are hardly used for serious modelling. I've come across this thread in the gallery
this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15604)
where the car is built in electric image, I think.

I went to the author's (Cristóbal Vila) website and he has a very impressive modelling tutorial that relies heavily on solids and booleans (and he's doing it on a mac, of all things). I really liked the methodology.

Tutorial (http://www.etereaestudios.com/sentinel_tutorial/sentinel_tutorial.htm)

So basically my question is which modeller lets you do it on a PC? And how do you get started? I don't mean CAD mechanical desktop or something like that. Just for visual design purposes.

mohh
08-06-2002, 03:12 AM
You can do it in LightWave. As far as to how to get started, what do you mean? How do you start modeling? There are different styles for different folks. LightWave's manual will get you started. There are also many tutorials online to help get you on your way.

WarlockXKZ
08-06-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by dvornik
So basically my question is which modeller lets you do it on a PC? And how do you get started? I don't mean CAD mechanical desktop or something like that. Just for visual design purposes.

Hi, maybe you should give Rhinoceros 3D a try, it's a NURBS modeller with that performs very well the solid/boolean modelling, and has very nice NURBS tools as well. You can download a trial version at http://www.rhino3d.com

It runs on windows platforms.

dvornik
08-06-2002, 07:28 AM
Yes, I've done some reading and Rhino seems to be good for it. I got the trial version, thanks. By getting started I meant getting the software and tutorials to try it first - Rhino comes with tutorials.

dvornik
08-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Is there a way in Rhino to rotate the view around selected object rather than the camera? I end up panning too much. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in Help.

Hmm, I guess I have to set camera targets for this.

Grey
08-06-2002, 08:06 PM
the command to rotate the object is ROTATE

the command to rotate an object on a 3Daxis is ROTATE3D

Help for these commands is in the Command List.

dvornik
08-06-2002, 10:27 PM
I mean rotating the view. "Arc-rotate selected" in max. Rotate the camera around the object, basically. Like if I want to look at it from all sides. What I do now is manually set the camera target.

Grey
08-06-2002, 11:10 PM
right-mouse button rotates the camera around the center of the world.

dvornik
08-06-2002, 11:17 PM
OK. I know. I guess it's time to install the spaceball drivers. :)

[edit] And they work well, as opposed to max. No plugins required. Cool.

dvornik
08-07-2002, 02:27 AM
Thanks a lot for your advice, guys. Just what I was interested in. Works really well.

bigGnomon
08-07-2002, 03:05 AM
Electric Image Universe is available on the PC also. (And apparently runs better than it does on the mac.)

It includes EI's modeler application which was used to model that car. As far as solid's modeling packages go, it's a great application. Modeling with solids takes a slightly different mindset than with normal polys, or standard nurbs modeling, but can be very powerful in the right hands.

I believe there is a demo version of EIU on their website you can download. Then you can follow that car tutorial step by step. :D

www.electricimage.com

-jh

dvornik
08-07-2002, 04:08 AM
Thanks. I downloaded this as well. This will keep me busy for awile. Damn, they disabled save and export. Oh well.

d3v1n
08-08-2002, 02:38 PM
I dont use boolean in maya very often..because sometimes i find a problem on the model when i smooth it. just wondering if other people find the same prob

playmesumch00ns
08-08-2002, 03:44 PM
That's a problem with booleans rather than with Maya. Booleans are generally a Bad Thing.

dvornik
08-08-2002, 06:08 PM
I think industrial design would be impossible without the use of booleans. Like I said I know little about it, but it seems to be a surface modellers' problem.

Grey
08-08-2002, 11:40 PM
if you're doing NURBS booleans in Rhino, the're fine.

I don't know what the issue is with Maya and booleans, but if it treats them the same way that Cinema4D does, then I can see why that would be a huge issue.

Rhino treats booleans completely different than most 3Dsoftware, which is why it becomes so powerful a tool in Rhino.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.