PDA

View Full Version : Motion/Broadcast Design dissection

SpriteGF
08-10-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm in the process of deconstructing Troika's latest ESPN SportsCenter motion design so I can incorporate elements of them in my designs. One of them is the "Did You Know?" segment (attached), and perhaps some of you may know my questions to these:

How do you recreate the light-blue streaks? In Maya, I've tried using Paint Effects' Attach on Curve, and adjusting the blue glow brush, but it creates a uniform brush instead of a pressure-sensitive brush, so that parts of the curve are highlighted more. How can you specify pressures without having to use a tablet to paint the brush onto the curve?
How can I recreate the shader for the words? For example, I want the words to catch shadows on its outline; so far I've been doing that by creating ridges on the edges with Bevel Plus. Is there any other way to do that?
Does anyone do motion/broadcast design in Maya? Are there any more examples of this out there?
Thank you. :) Much appreciated!

SpriteGF
08-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Whoa. I think I posted this to the wrong subforum. Can moderators move this to the main Maya page? Thanks. :)

slipknot66
08-10-2004, 10:05 PM
do you want to recreate that logo?
well, the words are using a glass material, so you can see the inner reflections, and that glow it would be easy to recreate using a torus, with a simple shader so you can use the glow effects:shrug:

slipknot66
08-10-2004, 10:21 PM
here is a very..very simple example i did now, just to illustrate my idea, of course you can make this thing look better:D ...as i said was just to demonstrate my idea:thumbsup:
http://img59.exs.cx/img59/8458/teste.jpg

treedee
08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi,

This particular piece was created in Cinema 4D. I have read other forums were the creators lurk and they use that program for braodcast. Maya is very good at broadcast design as well. I use it all of the time on logos and cylinders, etc. Dont be fooled by thinking all of this was created in 3D. Sometimes designers are on certain deadlines and utilize after effects to help create nice glows, and elements overlayed in the backgrounds. Maya has a new DVD pertaining to Motion graphic artist and using maya from the guys at Turner Studios. Very good DVD! You should check it out. Hope that helps some, cheers

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.