PDA

View Full Version : Softimage. its marketing and policies

Ziah
08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Hmmm...softimage nice but shady

Hey the recent price drop for softiamge seems pretty nice ...... a freaking no brainer

I aslo think they should not over look some of the students who t bought there app and extended some kind of up grade offer if there is any

I just think its fair buisness

JDex
08-10-2004, 10:28 PM
What are you talking about?

Student buys Advanced Version for $295...

Could have bought Foundations Version for $495, if they had waited. And that's being shady? I don't understand all these whiners.

:shrug:

Kyan
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
XSI Foundations at $495 is such a steal.

XSI Advanced at $295 just blows my mind.

I do wonder if Avid will compensate for the people who bought the program just recently though(not edu). Seriously, they did slash the price quite a bit (yes, that's an understatement).

Ziah
08-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Im saying they should not bar anyone off ...offer an upgrade to the students....cheesh they could have at least thrown in some dvds for a price cut

look at it this was foundation is really selling for like 300 bucks or so if you minus the dvds

XSI Foundations at $495 is such a steal.
I do wonder if Avid will compensate for the people who bought the program just recently though(not edu). Seriously, they did slash the price quite a bit (yes, that's an understatement).exactly my point ...i mean mail those people some dvd's at least or give up some free support

the people who bought first may not have been the rihest people but were loyal customers who used and always used xsi don't think they should b abandoned especailly if thy bought recently

SevenString
08-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Let me get this straight: you say that students who paid $295 for a product that CURRENTLY sells for $6995 aren't getting a fair deal from Avid?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ziah
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
im saying them offer them an upgrade not saying now but when they decide not to be a student anymore Bwahhahaa

Some people are faithful to there licensing agreement you know

if its possible for some people to pay say anywhere betwennn 200-300 for an upgrade to say foundation or more money according to the desired package ...whats wrong with that?

seems like a win win for everyone to me

I don't think its crazy just another buisness venture that benefits both:)

JDex
08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Guess that you're not aware that that has always been the SI policy. Is likely still the policy. When I purchased my Acad Version, it gave me the ability to buy Essentials Commercial license for the standard price, minus the money I spent on the Academic Version. Why don't you email SI and see if they are still doing that, before you start talking bad about them. Otherwise, who is being shady?

Ziah
08-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Im am just my way of being and american and lobbying first :D

what really is getting me is that...i was planing to buy the dvd set to get up to speed.....but now i could do that and get a licnesed version of the app to make some money hopefully but i don't have that money right now it sucks boy does it suck

thorn3d
08-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Bob and Tommy decide they might like to do 3D.

Bob is currently enrolled in community college and can buy a $7000 application for $300.

Tom has to work full-time and cannot afford college. Despite the fact he would also be a "student" of 3D, he doesn't get the $5700 discount and therefore have to make do with a limited PLE.

The Company decides to make the low-end version $500 instead of $2000. Now Tom can afford it, and learn just as effectively as Bob can.

And Bob complains because somehow he's getting screwed!?

My god, the gall some of you students have.

thorn

Ziah
08-10-2004, 11:35 PM
hey hey hey college time is the most broke period of ur life .....i just wanna see if i can make some money to buy getting and upgrade...but from what jdex sed if they give you a minus thats cool

bob isn't complaining about getting screwed just wants to see if he can get a small bone thrown his way

leave those mastercard commercails alone...funny little dialogue tho :applause:

SpeccySteve
08-10-2004, 11:36 PM
and this shit goes away in 30 days
Could someone clarify this please?

Is this offer time limited, ie "this month only!!"??

Ziah
08-10-2004, 11:38 PM
SpeccySteve.....nothing thats my mistake i read something wrong while flying through the softimage site

dread65
08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
does the student licence expire once they graduate?

zen jehad
08-10-2004, 11:41 PM
I can't believe that some people can find fault in regards to the academic version's cost/upgrade plan.

I'm over the moon at this, I treally am. I'm an older student just now and will finish my course by xmas. Now I can happily continue to use XSI, to afford it, and to be able to even makle some money while I scout around for jobs. Why? cause they've just gone and made a seamless transition for people like us who are in college, to be able to own the software in a realistic way after our studies finish.

yog
08-10-2004, 11:50 PM
I maybe able to shed some light on this. After talking to Ziah it looks as though it sn't the version of the software that he is sore about, more the inclusion, or lack of it of the tutorial DVD's. It seems a few months ago he could afford the student version (which didn't come with training material), but couldn't afford Foundation. Now Foundation is just a little more than the student version and comes with the DVD's.

In his best case Ziah would have liked to have afforded the Foundation version now, with the 5 DVD set, but can no longer afford it even at the reduced cost, and is afraid that the offer will end before he can afford it.

Perhaps a poor choice of words in the title and post, but I don't think it was meant as bad as it sounds.

But as a man I once knew would say .... that's the way the cuckoo crumbles :shrug: :)

SpeccySteve
08-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Cool, I am seriously tempted by this.

Support and upgrades or not, the chance to have a full legit licence of a decent 3D package for less than a high end video card seems too good to pass on, especially with a stack of training dvd's thrown in..

I'm impressed by this really, until this morning I had ruled out XSI freelancing as an option simply because of the pricetag, it has now become a very attractive option.

Cool

Ziah
08-10-2004, 11:54 PM
seccy it is a good fast easy to learn package go for it i would have if i could:sad:

Ziah
08-11-2004, 12:08 AM
what the hell it seems now that they are offering the 5 dvd set with the student versions AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH anger anger anger

http://store.softimage.com/store/products/family/educational/acad_st.asp?fam=true

am i reeading wrong?

dread65
08-11-2004, 12:25 AM
yah your right :) sucks for someone in your position

Ziah
08-11-2004, 12:29 AM
haha dread i wish you good fortune whereever you go:twisted:

uhh my heaart:sad:

hmm i bought my package about two weeks ago recieved it a week ago...how are the people at softimage?? Do you think they will allow me to be eligible?

Jaco? or sheep factory? not to call on you but maybe you would know ....I figure you guys have some hands here and there and may have come incontact with softimages team nore than anyone here.

i can't even do the pdf tuts right now ...my heart ..lol

dread65
08-11-2004, 12:33 AM
You might as well try, I am not sure on their policies but you defintely should give it a shot

dread65
08-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Ziah if you order the student version, thru their online website, where do you submit the forms etc. that you are a student? Do they email you the information of where to send it etc/

Thanks

Iysun
08-11-2004, 12:36 AM
yah I got foundation about a month ago for $3000 cnd, and now I see I could've gotten it for like $500 usd is kinda a piss off for me, or for the same price i could have gotten essentials, kinda a kick in the face to people who just bought it i guess, espeicaly when thats a hell of alot of money for me... but its good for those that havent thats for sure, I'm all for price drops but I wish I would have known, because I would have waited for sure...

Ziah
08-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Ziah if you order the student version, thru their online website, where do you submit the forms etc. that you are a student? Do they email you the information of where to send it etc/

Thankswell they ask you to fax them but you can just email them ..i email them jpegs of all the info they needed...i sent it to the licensing team..

hmmmm anotherehll i would be wrong for me to say i feel your pain becuase mine is no where near urs ......this is what i mean for someone in a situation like you i think you should be able to upgrade maybe minus what you paid at least something like that...we...well im at least all for price drops but not when you serious kick people in the arse like that .. i mean im here bitching for dvd's hopefully

cheesh u know how much pain some people had to go through explaining to there wifes and girlfriends why their broke and din't have enough time to chill alot anymore :shrug::)

dread65
08-11-2004, 02:10 AM
Ziah ahh ok thanks, and how fast did they send you the stuff?

Also it doesn't have to be an art school does it?

Thanks

dread65
08-11-2004, 02:15 AM
also I cant seem to find the page that tells the user what email to send the stuff to etc?

can you tell me what it is thanks.. on the pdf documentation it says to send it to your reseller?

Ziah
08-11-2004, 02:27 AM
k no art school..i got my stuff within a week umm the link for the pdf is here http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/educational/student-teacher_info.asp

i email the stuff to the licensing team click the contact button at the site to find the email addy

dread65
08-11-2004, 02:43 AM
ok thanks, one last question does the student edition come with a dongle ? thanks

Ziah
08-11-2004, 03:00 AM
yup...and 5 dvds arrrrghh so it seems

titaniumdave
08-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Actually it comes with 6 dvds but the principles dvd isn't much to get excited about.

Iysun
08-11-2004, 08:08 AM
I got this email from softimage:

As you may know, we announced our new pricing policy at Siggraph today. As a result we're happy to announced that we have upgrade your XSI license from XSI Foundation Windows v4.0 to XSI Essentials Windows v4.0.

all forgivin :D

yog
08-11-2004, 09:30 AM

As you may know, we announced our new pricing policy at Siggraph today. As a result we're happy to announced that we have upgrade your XSI license from XSI Foundation Windows v4.0 to XSI Essentials Windows v4.0.

Totally unbelievable :eek:
I wonder if this is a general policy, or whether it was because you made such a nucience of yourself (j/k):thumbsup:

I had a small hope of this, but didn't really think it would happen, and if I miss it, I still wont be too upset. It was a good price at the time, and that hasn't changed. Can't wait to get home and check me e-mail now :)

Ziah
08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
go another hell yeahhh yeah hurray for you..i wonder if they will be that nice to me about the dvd's and i also wondering about paying for upgrades i sent couple of emails ....im crossing my fingers

ThE_JacO
08-11-2004, 12:59 PM

very cool, but don't say a word in general discussion or you will be called a liar, because everybody knows that companies and corporations are evil and out there exclusively to milk you dry ;)

thorn3d
08-11-2004, 03:38 PM
It seems a few months ago he could afford the student version (which didn't come with training material), but couldn't afford Foundation. Now Foundation is just a little more than the student version and comes with the DVD's.

That's called "life".

When I bought my current software package, it didn't come with MentalRay. Now the package DOES come with MentalRay. If i'd just waited 10 months to purchase it, i would have gotten the new version of the software WITH MentalRay.

In any case, perhaps try emailing SI and see if they will trade your student license in for a copy of Foundations. You'll be getting DVDs and losing several high-end features, so make sure that's the choice you'd want in the first place.

And BTW, i had much more money in college than i do now. ;)

thorn

Sil3
08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
And BTW, i had much more money in college than i do now. ;)

Probably u had MUCH Less expenses while u were a student than u have now ;)

Iysun
08-11-2004, 07:22 PM
to be honest im still a little suprised myself that they did this, I think its a great move though as I know there would have been alot o unhappy customers, my hats of to softimage for the great move, and the great price drop :D

Conni
08-11-2004, 10:12 PM
I ordered a 1 year XSI advanced student licence some weeks ago at my local reseller. Until now I haven't received it and so I contacted him and asked if he can cancel my order and order instead a XSI foundation inkluding the DVDs.
However, he is currently at the Siggraph and will look into this matter next week but he sounds optimistic :).
The only issue I have with the Foundation version is that there won't be any updates available - even no small bugfixes :sad: That's what my reseller told me.

-Cornelius

Ziah
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
ARRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
they sed i can't get the dvd's i only bought like two weeks ago recieved it this weekkk... woah is me woah is me .....F.......F.....FFFF ...darn it darn it darn it

:sad:
hmmmm anyone interested in selling them reduced price as used?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.