PDA

View Full Version : Just Joined The XSI World - Officially!

Signal2Noise
08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey SI'ers!

Thought I'd drop in and say "Hi!"

It's been a while since I participated in the Softimage forum. I was using EXP off and on for the last couple of years but ended up buying LightWave because at the time the price was right and I couldn't pass up the Digital Fusion bundle deal. XSI is extremely nice but the pricetag wasn't.

But thanks to the recent XSI price cuts I've just placed my order for Foundation! One day perhaps I can upgrade to Essentials (or to dream - Advanced). Hope to get the parcel in a couple of weeks but apparently I can download the licensed version upon authorization from Avid. Can't wait to get into it and all those DVDs!

I plan to continue to use LW and incorporate XSI into my workflow. Hopefully DFX+ can be used w/ XSI for compositing.

yog
08-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Welcome aboard mate :thumbsup:

Don't forget to leave time to go through those DVD's. I've been watching them for what seems like days, and I've only just got onto the second one :D

ThE_JacO
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
you know the sound your mouse made when you clicked on the checkout button?
that was the sound of inevitability.

welcome.

tachy0n
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey welcome dude (officially and all heh !) We need more signal here anyway... :D

Atyss
08-10-2004, 08:51 PM
you know the sound your mouse made when you clicked on the checkout button?
You crack me up Raffaele :)

Cheers
Bernard

grendizer
08-10-2004, 10:20 PM
welcome my friend :deal:

powerwave3d
08-10-2004, 11:21 PM
It's going to take weeks for you to get your package? Was there an option for like 3 day service or something? Just curious, cause I want to get it but I don't feel like waiting weeks...

What's this download thing you mention? Full version?

Ziah
08-10-2004, 11:24 PM
power where are you mines only took a week after ordering

SevenString
08-10-2004, 11:27 PM
according to the Avid site, they aren't starting shipping until August 16th

Signal2Noise
08-10-2004, 11:34 PM
It's going to take weeks for you to get your package? Was there an option for like 3 day service or something? Just curious, cause I want to get it but I don't feel like waiting weeks...

What's this download thing you mention? Full version?
From the Softimage Store page:

"Please Note: This product will only start shipping the week of August 16th, 2004. Upon purchase, you can download, install, register and start using XSI Foundation immediately!"

leigh
08-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Welcome, yet another LightWave user adding XSI to their toolset :)

Hmm interesting that you can download and run a version already... I wonder how they set that up without the dongle.

Ric535
08-10-2004, 11:42 PM
i was gonna buy it - but then i realised i dont have a credit card and they dont accept paypal :(

tachy0n
08-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Welcome, yet another LightWave user adding XSI to their toolset :)

Hmm interesting that you can download and run a version already... I wonder how they set that up without the dongle.
AFIAK the new low price foundation version doesn't have a dongle, it only runs off a serial number. i guess that was one way to cut it's cost...:)

Ric535
08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
AFIAK the new low price foundation version doesn't have a dongle, it only runs off a serial number. i guess that was one way to cut it's cost...:)
its probably the same as the demo i just downloaded - when i started it up it asked me to enter a serial number or continue evaluation

Signal2Noise
08-11-2004, 04:23 AM
When I got home from work there was an email from Softimage waiting for me with my order confirmation and serial number. However when I got to download Foundation via the link provided in the email I get a message that I'm not authorized to do so. Maybe it takes a while for it to get all set?

[EDIT] After a bit of Doom III and near cardiac arrest I took a break to try downloading Foundation again. It worked! 178MB later and I'll be XSI'ing! :)

chesterjoe
08-11-2004, 05:13 AM
I`m glad to see more and more people changing to xsi latelly, since I started out as a softimage 3d user it is kind of frustrating to see maya and 3dsmax win terrain ( I`m a 3dsmax user too) but with so many cool stuff in latest realeases of xsi I`m sure we will see the community grow faster each day to come. I feel at hoome again :D Welcome bro....

By the way:
You crack me up Raffaele :)

Cheers
Bernard
is the_jaco raffaele from xsi base?? or just a coincidence in names ?? just curious.

chesterjoe
08-11-2004, 05:23 AM
When I got home from work there was an email from Softimage waiting for me with my order confirmation and serial number. However when I got to download Foundation via the link provided in the email I get a message that I'm not authorized to do so. Maybe it takes a while for it to get all set?

Did you registered as a user ( with your license) allready? in order to download anything from softimage you must have a valid user name and password,for the free stuff you can create a user name without any other requisite but to download the software or any other priced stuff you need to create a user with the license info, once you have that user name you can use it to download upgrades and so on ( until you need to pay for a mayor upgrade)

mattmos
08-11-2004, 10:12 AM
is the_jaco raffaele from xsi base?? or just a coincidence in names ?? just curious.
They are actually 2 guys with similar sounding names - Raffael Dickreuter who runs xsibase and Raffaele (note the 'e') Fragapane who's the_jaco here and on the base.

Although rumour has it no-one has ever seen them in the same room together ;)

StephanD
08-11-2004, 11:42 AM
He's superman ;)

Welcome Signal To Noise,hope you have as much fun using xsi as most of us do.

Obizzz
08-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Here's another new XSI'er :)

Can't wait til I get those DVD's

Signal2Noise
08-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and congrats to the other folk who've made the plunge as well.

Question: What is the best resource for XSI stuff these days? Since I & others have Foundation we will likely be relying on custom plugs and scripts to do stuff normally reserved for Essential/Advanced, if it all possible. I checked Highend3D but a lot of their stuff is dated 2002 and older. I visited Ed's site and he seems to have some recent stuff. I also signed up on XSI Base. Is there a site similar to Flay (for LightWave) for all our one stop downloading needs?

Also, will custom programs designed for XSI 3.0 (or older) work in 4.0?

TIA.

Infinity3d4life
08-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I am seriously considering jumping on XSI but i have to admit that i'm a little afraid of it.. I have been using lightwave, and i don't have a clue as to how good the modeling tools are in XSI.. I have considered Cinema 4d, 3d studio, and Maya, but for some reason i just keep looking at Softimage.. Oh what the hell i might as well get the demo and go for it..

Iysun
08-11-2004, 06:53 PM
heres some good XSI resource sites:

www.xsibase.com
www.edharriss.com
www.xsifiles.com
www.3dtutorial.com

and welcome to the XSI part of the globe :D

3DDave
08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
www.3Dbuzz.com (http://www.3dbuzz.com/)

There are some good video tutorials here as well!

Does any know of a Lightwave to XSI guide or keyboard mapping file for XSI?

DougNicola
08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Here's the LW to XSI Quickstart guide by Will Mendez http://www.xsibase.com/tutorials/beginner.php?detail=192

DougNicola
08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Also, will custom programs designed for XSI 3.0 (or older) work in 4.0?
I think most custom stuff works in XSI from XSI 2.0 onwards. Always play it safe (backup your scene) when experimenting with older plugs. Check out the Mindthink tools, including the Mindthink 2.01 (free) collection http://www.mindthink.de (http://www.mindthink.de/) for some good stuff.

chesterjoe
08-11-2004, 08:47 PM
They are actually 2 guys with similar sounding names - Raffael Dickreuter who runs xsibase and Raffaele (note the 'e') Fragapane who's the_jaco here and on the base.

Although rumour has it no-one has ever seen them in the same room together ;) hehe thanks for clarifying the mistery :eek: :)

I am seriously considering jumping on XSI but i have to admit that i'm a little afraid of it.. I have been using lightwave, and i don't have a clue as to how good the modeling tools are in XSI.. I have considered Cinema 4d, 3d studio, and Maya, but for some reason i just keep looking at Softimage.. Oh what the hell i might as well get the demo and go for it.. I used Lightwave for years to do my poly modelling stuff, and the only thing I missed from it was the knife tool but xsi 4 has something very similar ( I'm on 3.5.1 and when I read about it started to bug my boss to get into 4 :scream: :)). But you will get used to poly modelling in xsi very soon it is very straight foward and efficient. I now model everything in xsi. And yeap get the demo to check for your self but as for me I love modelling in xsi. The rendertree kind of scared me at first but I love it too right know. And animation is definatelly IMHO MUCH better than lightwave's "enveloping" scheme. I never got used to animating in lightwave so many things in so many different places to access, it looked like a not well organized workflow for me, but of course I came from a softimage 3d background so many things looked weird to me :D.

tachy0n
08-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Same here... i rarely do any modelling in LW anymore, mostly if i need to create some quick and dirty meshes for arch. work or hard modelling. For organics, and complex hard surfaces, like say a car i stick with XSI. Don't worry too much about it, XSi is pretty easy to get the hang of.

Also check this out:

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11659;start=0#msg77217

3DDave
08-11-2004, 09:40 PM
In Lightwave the default viewports zoom and pan together. XSI the viewports have independant zoom and pans. Is there a way to set XSI viewports to zoom and pan together? I also set the perspective viewport to independant zoom and pan.

ub52
08-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Since the pricing announcement, it seems a lot of Lightwave users, including ME, are tempted to give XSI a try. One of the things that has always frustrate me in LW is the stretching that occurs to image maps when using UV mapping coordinates. How does XSI fare in this department?

-ub52

Infinity3d4life
08-12-2004, 12:02 AM
EEEgadsss i just popped open the interface and man this things is scary.. I like a challenge though so i'm off to find some good beginners tutorials..

rayboy
08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Another XSI purchaser here too. Can't wait to get started. I downloaded my copy and got a license key. Unfortunately though I 've got some things to get out of the way before I can really start.

Glad to be here.

Felipe
08-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Just downloaded the free 30-days trial version. I´ve decided to give XSI a try and I´m buying foundation version. I couldn´t resist this great deal. One of the best 3D program around + 6 DVDs under $500. Too good to be true...
Now I have to get used to new shortkeys, I keep pressing alt to pan/rotate/zoom viewports lol

Obizzz
08-12-2004, 05:57 PM
hehe I know I do that all the time even in some 2d applications very frustrating :)

3DDave
08-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Use the "S" key instead of the alt key with the mouse buttons.

Obizzz
08-12-2004, 07:31 PM
yeah I just found the S key, nice

leigh
08-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Since the pricing announcement, it seems a lot of Lightwave users, including ME, are tempted to give XSI a try. One of the things that has always frustrate me in LW is the stretching that occurs to image maps when using UV mapping coordinates. How does XSI fare in this department?

-ub52

Well all programs will have a certain degree initially in their UV maps, but LightWave differs in that there is a bug in its sub-ds that causes distortion that you simply cannot get rid of. XSI has an excellent UV mapping toolset and you don't encounter any of that frustrating distortion :)

ub52
08-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, Leigh. That's great news. Just prior to reading your post I was on Softimage.com placing my order. The decision was just a no-brainer at this price. Looking forward to learning XSI and contributing to the community.

Best regards,
ub52

thedaemon
08-13-2004, 03:50 AM
I just ordered!! hip hip horray!! I welcome myself aboard!

MLMckenzie
08-13-2004, 06:03 PM
New XSI user signing in!

If someone would have told me last week that I would be getting a license of Softimage XSI 4, I would NOT have believed them. I once owned Softimage 3D awhile back, and would have upgraded to XSI but I couldn't afford it. IMHO the animation features alone are worth $495, but thats my opinion as a someday, wannabe, animator. :thumbsup: Adding the huge DVD training library was just too much for a 3d software junkie like me to take :bounce: Now I have no more excuses. :)

See ya around the forum

Mike

Infinity3d4life
08-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I really like the lightwave to XSI guide, but little things are missing such as the mirror tool, symmetry modes, ( which i think i found on my own).. I think i'm starting to like it though...

zen jehad
08-15-2004, 12:47 AM
New XSI user signing in!

If someone would have told me last week that I would be getting a license of Softimage XSI 4, I would NOT have believed them. I once owned Softimage 3D awhile back, and would have upgraded to XSI but I couldn't afford it.

I was just wondering this. I've also got a license for Soft 3D(Irix), but never took up the offer of XSI when it came out (couldn't afford to at the time). Are there any kind of upgrade deals for 3D users to XSI? I think I read a post by The_Jac0 that there was, can't find it now though.

JDex
08-15-2004, 12:52 AM
I was just wondering this. I've also got a license for Soft 3D(Irix), but never took up the offer of XSI when it came out (couldn't afford to at the time). Are there any kind of upgrade deals for 3D users to XSI? I think I read a post by The_Jac0 that there was, can't find it now though.
Best thing to do is contact your SI reseller...if a deal can be worked out, it will. Your reseller may be a bit bogged down, so give him/her a chance to respond.

zen jehad
08-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Best thing to do is contact your SI reseller...if a deal can be worked out, it will. Your reseller may be a bit bogged down, so give him/her a chance to respond.

Yeah, probably best to. Getting Foundation is a no-brainer, but... if I can somehow manage to wrangle Essentials by trade-in, then that's a plus.

ThE_JacO
08-15-2004, 01:03 AM
I was just wondering this. I've also got a license for Soft 3D(Irix), but never took up the offer of XSI when it came out (couldn't afford to at the time). Are there any kind of upgrade deals for 3D users to XSI? I think I read a post by The_Jac0 that there was, can't find it now though. there are.
I think I posted the info in the CGNews thread, and they are from a sales manager in Montreal, fairly reliable I'd say.

"if you have an old 3D Base or Extreme, you can upgrade to Essentials Windows for USD $995... and to Essentials All OS for USD $1195, and to Advanced for $2995...

edit: wrote general discussion... it really is CGNews sorry.

zen jehad
08-15-2004, 01:04 AM
there are.
I think I posted the info in the general discussions thread, and they are from a sales manager in Montreal, fairly reliable I'd say.

I thought I saw you post something along those lines. I'll go have a scout around.

Cheers.

Edit: Found it. Pretty good deal for Soft 3D users. From $995-$1195 for essentials; $2995 for advanced.

That is a sweet deal.
Choices choices :)

zen jehad
08-15-2004, 01:08 AM
there are.

edit: wrote general discussion... it really is CGNews sorry.

It's cool, I ended up in the news section, lol.

sketchfiend
08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Seems like im one of many who has just jumped on the XSI band wagon. Its actually kind of freaky for me as ive never really done any modelling for say animation, 3D characters etc. Ive always worked with parametric modellers because of the type of work that i do. So with that im am extremely excited about my latest venture into the world of 3D, and as a couple of you have said already how could you resist considering how great the Fundumentals package is esspecially for a bigginer like me, so even if things dont work out, its no big loss.

i look forward to hanging out in the XSI forums, and look forward to seeing a this place grow. Out of curiosity just wondering if there are any other potential Australian XSI users in the forums?

Obizzz
08-15-2004, 09:31 AM
You'll probably do fine with 3d, judging from your 2d sketches you already have the art part you'll just have to learn the technical bit and that's the least difficult one...

Proximus
08-16-2004, 03:25 AM
I got a license at Siggraph, too. To sweet deal to pass, even if I own other applications.

Signal2Noise
08-19-2004, 04:42 AM
For those still considering taking the plunge here's a pic of the package that arrived at my house yesterday (17 Aug.).

(click link since I tried attaching the photo but it didn't work)*

http://www.rapidcg.com/Photos.htm

http://www.rapidcg.com/images/XSI_FNDa.jpg

...and because someone asked, here's a detail pic of the 5 disc DVD set:

http://www.rapidcg.com/images/dvdx.JPG

(*)attaching pic ended up working!

SheepFactory
08-19-2004, 04:50 AM
niiice :D

How big is the box? is it bigger than the Lightwave box?

Signal2Noise
08-19-2004, 05:08 AM
Yup, XSI box is about 20% bigger than the LW box.

SevenString
08-19-2004, 05:51 AM
of course, I must hate you now, Signal to Noise!!! :P

Seriously, that is one sweet box of stuff and one sweeeeet piece of software for a mere $495.

Congratulations!

MLMckenzie
08-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Nice Signal to Noise!

What a deal at $495! My order got a little screwed up (my fault) and I spent yesterday trying to fix the problem. I got bounced around from Avid to Digidesign and then finally got a hold of the very nice, but frazzled woman in Montreal who has been inundated with orders. She said she was working on shipping out the orders recieved on the 12th. She said my order which was placed on the 13th should be out in a day or two. (That's what I get for waiting to order on Friday… THE 13th! :eek: ) Despite the runaround, everyone I spoke to was very nice and helpful.

MLM

raca
08-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Another switcher in the house

mamma watch me now

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.