PDA

View Full Version : Complex tutorials

swampthing
08-10-2004, 06:52 PM
I know XSI is great for doing organic models, it's got all the tools needed for that. What i'm wondering is if anyone knows of any tutorials showing the workflow in XSI for building a complex mechanical object, ie. planes, cars etc. or anything more advanced? I've checked ed's site and I didn't see anything that really fit the bill. I know other apps tutorials can be made to work in XSI but for an XSI beginner who doesn't really know all the tools yet this can be a frustrating task. Is there anything like this out there?

I dunno if you guys from 3dtutorial frequent here or not but i'm sure there's gotta be a demand for this as well as the awesome organic video you put out.

3dtutorial
08-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Hi Swampthing,

Yes, I agree with you 100%.

It's on my to-do list trust me. I've got a tonne of new training material in production at the moment and as you know, tutorials of the detail and complexity that we produce take a lot of time to make. Still, I am aware that people would like this and I am working on something along these lines :-)

I can't say much more than that at the moment, but stay tuned.

And thanks for your suggestion !

Cheers mate,

Joe

swampthing
08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
That's great to hear. I love your guy's stuff, high quality and awesome price, thanks for putting in the time to do the great work!

EDDIEthePIRATE
08-19-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree I bought a few of you xsi products for my crew and it helped them a lot. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Eddie

preludian
08-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Joe,

I am new to XSI, so your company is new to me too, so please excuse any silly questions.

I didn't quite understand your pricing system, for example the course XSI-Adv. SubD Surface Modelling
has a content of 5 cd's which I could download, what would be the total price, $50.00 ?? for all or for one module?

I have the choice between download or cd, how much is the delivery cost for Germany?

I have the XSI4 Fond version, do you plan to redo some of your stuff for XSI4 and if yes when?

Thanks

ThE_JacO
08-20-2004, 12:05 AM
if you are on broadband and don't pay per minute go the download way.
Joe is well known for being quite picky about the serving, it won't be too painful even on a 640Kbit line.

preludian
08-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Don't you ever sleep ThE_JacO :) So is it $50.00 for the complete module set of 5 cd's downloaded, $50.00 for 16 h tutorial?? Really :eek:

3dtutorial
08-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Hi Joe,

I am new to XSI, so your company is new to me too, so please excuse any silly questions.

I didn't quite understand your pricing system, for example the course XSI-Adv. SubD Surface Modelling
has a content of 5 cd's which I could download, what would be the total price, $50.00 ?? for all or for one module?

I have the choice between download or cd, how much is the delivery cost for Germany?

I have the XSI4 Fond version, do you plan to redo some of your stuff for XSI4 and if yes when?

Thanks
Hi,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply -- I've been out of the office and I've only just seen your post this minute. Ok, you've got my attention now, let's see if I can answer your questions.

Regarding the Advanced SubD Surface Modelling Series by Reinhard (Ray) Claus, yes, that is a 5 CD set and the TOTAL cost is: US$49.99 (by download) or US$59.99 + shipping on CD-ROM. And Yes, you get ALL 5 CD's for that price :-)

Regarding delivery, well that depends on how fast you need them. The best deal we offer on shipping is via USPS priority airmail service, that cost's 9 dollars and should get them there within a week or so. We can ship by FedEx but the prices are much higher. I don't know exactly how much for FedEx off the top of my head but you can calculate that cost in our on-line store if you desire. BTW -- between you and I, for delivery to Germany and Western Europe in general the $9.00 USPS delivery is your best value for money option.

Nope, we don't plan on re-doing any of the material we produced so far for v4 as there is NO reason on earth to do this. We always produce our tutorials with the current version of the software at the time they are produced, so at the moment we are using v4 and our future tutorials will reflect this. The fact is that v4 isn't that different from ver 3.x in most respects. Yeah there are certain differences, but nothing that is going to stop you from learning. We also maintain a forum where you can ask direct questions of the authors of our training, so if you get stuck or don't understand something, you can always ask for advice.

So don't worry, I do have v4 based material on the way as well as some v3.x based stuff that I've been working on for more than a year. Our material is VERY comprehensive and takes a LONG time to produce.

Lastly, the reason that we will not redo any of our prior matieral is because it is simply impossible to do so because of the time it would take to do so - like a shark 3dtutorial must keep moving forward.

:-)

I hope this will help to answer some of your questions, if you have others, feel free to ask. I am always happy to help.

Cheers,

Joe

3dtutorial
08-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Don't you ever sleep ThE_JacO :) So is it $50.00 for the complete module set of 5 cd's downloaded, $50.00 for 16 h tutorial?? Really :eek:
Yup really -- I can confirm that this is correct :-)

Cheers,

Joe

preludian
08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
hope this will help to answer some of your questions, if you have others, feel free to ask. I am always happy to help.
only one more :) as the new fond users will receive the dvd set, which 3dtutorial would you advise being the best one so to not have double infos, or is the set not comparable to your tutorials?
oh, one more :) do you plan on having a tut on box modelling??

BTW I just looked the demo tut from r. claus, this guy is absolutely freakin' amazing. And we both live in Bonn, funny heh?

francescaluce
08-20-2004, 12:52 AM
ehy.. he's our 'rray' here at cgtalk.softimage.. I agree for the ' freakin' amazing ' guy. :)
he's also the author of the rctools. to get a bit of xsi culture..

ciao
francesca

preludian
08-20-2004, 01:11 AM
it's always nice to have a little bit of culture :wise: btw, why do you call him 'rray' I did a search for him ( you know, culture and so on, hehe) you always call him 'rray' not 'ray' something we shouldn't know <bg>

francescaluce
08-20-2004, 01:19 AM
oh.. when I fell in love.. it was the old days of the xsibase..

ciao
francesca

preludian
08-20-2004, 01:25 AM
the god ol' days ;) , it'll never be the same again with all this mass of curious, constantly questioning new XSI Fond users :twisted:

3dtutorial
08-20-2004, 01:28 AM
only one more :) as the new fond users will receive the dvd set, which 3dtutorial would you advise being the best one so to not have double infos, or is the set not comparable to your tutorials?
oh, one more :) do you plan on having a tut on box modelling??

BTW I just looked the demo tut from r. claus, this guy is absolutely freakin' amazing. And we both live in Bonn, funny heh?
Hi Again,

I'm just about to sign-off for the evening but let me answer your questions quickly.

Regarding possible redundancy between the Softimage DVD set and 3dtutorial.com products....

Well, to be honest, while we may cover similar topics at times we take an entirely different approach then those produced by Softimage. Our tutorials are for the most part, project based. Our lessons are developed around the completion of an actual project, in the case of the series by Reinhard Claus (Advanced SubD Modelling) Ray builds a bust of the Greek Hero AJAX -- step by step from beginning to end. So you get to see the workflow and how things are done -- we are not simply telling you this tool does this, this tool does that (not that I am saying that the Softimage DVD's do).

Rather the point that I am trying to make is that I think the lessons that 3dtutorial.com produce work well with all the other types of training on offer and because of the way we've constructed them I don't think there is much redundancy in the training on offer.

I think our training is pretty unique in what it offers and I think really can't help learn something from it.

To be fair, this is perhaps a topic that is better answered by some of the people who have purchased our training, but I feel confident that this is a fair overview nonetheless.

Are we going to offer a tutorial on Box Modelling -- Yup.

I've got something really, really great coming next month on just this topic -- stay tuned.

Ok, it's been a long day for me -- time to punch out ;-)

I hope this will help answer some of your questions.

Cheers,

Joe

preludian
08-20-2004, 01:33 AM
no more questions :) only a big thank you :thumbsup: You just found a new customer :deal:

2:30 AM here in Germany, I'll force myself into bed...

comanche
08-20-2004, 09:15 AM
I purchased the XSI-Modelling 1 training (while waiting for the DVD set) and it gets me started quickly. Really well done - and the price is a no brainer.

ub52
08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
I just wanted to say as new XSI user that I purchased the download version of the XSI - Adv. Sud-Modeling and it is well worth the money. The main thing which interested me in this particular tutorial is he outlines a method for using a single three quarter view backgroud rotoscope image as the only reference for modeling a 3D object. It's going to take me a while to grok all this content though, as there is just a ton of it.

Cheers,
ub52

3dtutorial
08-20-2004, 05:15 PM
I just wanted to say as new XSI user that I purchased the download version of the XSI - Adv. Sud-Modeling and it is well worth the money. The main thing which interested me in this particular tutorial is he outlines a method for using a single three quarter view backgroud rotoscope image as the only reference for modeling a 3D object. It's going to take me a while to grok all this content though, as there is just a ton of it.

Cheers,
ub52 Hi ub52,

Firstly, thanks for your support !!!

Secondly, I agree the technique of getting 3d data from a single 3/4 view is worth the price of this tutorial alone. I can't begin to tell you what a useful technique this is especially if you do 3D portrait work, like I do. As I'm sure you are aware finding profile shot (left or right view dead on) can be a very difficult task. Over the years I have worked with many well known actors and celebs and I can tell you it's even harder to find good profile shots of those types of individuals. You can always find a good front reference, but a dead on side ref, well that's another story...he..he...

The technique demonstrated in our tutorial allows you to use a single 3/4 view and derive useful 3D data from that, so you don't really need a front or side view (although it can be helpful). Trust me, this is a technique you will come to use often :-)

Please enjoy the lessons and thanks you again for your custom and support.

Cheers,

Joe

preludian
08-20-2004, 07:34 PM
just wanted to say as new XSI user that I purchased the download version of the XSI - Adv. Sud-Modeling and it is well worth the money.
That's the one I bought too, together with the first two volumes of character rigging, I need to grasp rigging pretty quickly. Wanted to do my short-movie with LW, but after a few days with XSI I found it wiser to do it in XSI, LW8 seems very old in comparison :sad: And with the FBX plugins it's no problem to get my models over.

BTW an advanced texturing tut would come very handy too :) it's a pitty Bodypaint 2 has no direct connection with XSI :sad: which would make my life easier.

BTW2, I appreciate very much the clear prononciation of the tut narrators, if only I could see the tuts on my laptop (1024x768) I could watch them outside in the garden ;)

3dtutorial
08-20-2004, 07:54 PM
That's the one I bought too, together with the first two volumes of character rigging, I need to grasp rigging pretty quickly. Wanted to do my short-movie with LW, but after a few days with XSI I found it wiser to do it in XSI, LW8 seems very old in comparison :sad: And with the FBX plugins it's no problem to get my models over.

BTW an advanced texturing tut would come very handy too :) it's a pitty Bodypaint 2 has no direct connection with XSI :sad: which would make my life easier.

BTW2, I appreciate very much the clear prononciation of the tut narrators, if only I could see the tuts on my laptop (1024x768) I could watch them outside in the garden ;) Hi !

Yes, I fully agree and we do have an advanced texturing tutorial in the pipeline "PST - Series II by Bernard Lebel" will cover just these types of topics in great detail. The truth is that I had hoped that 3dtutorial would have been able to publish it by now, however, Bernard Lebel the author was offered a job in France as a Technical Director and well, the tutorial had to be put on the backburner for a little while. That said, Bernard will return from Europe soon and we will get back to work on this :-)) I feel confident in saying it will be well worth the wait.

Thanks again for your support -- I'm sure you will get a lot of knowldege from our rigging series -- there is a tonne of valuable info packed into it.

Cheers mate,

Joe

ub52
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
snip...
Secondly, I agree the technique of getting 3d data from a single 3/4 view is worth the price of this tutorial alone. I can't begin to tell you what a useful technique this is especially if you do 3D portrait work, like I do.
...snip

Joe,

Portrait work is one of the things I love doing the most in 3D. You can see a sample of a few of the ones I've done in Lightwave in the GALLERY section of my web site at http://www.TinyColoredSquares.com. I agree that finding good reference can be very difficult. I've had pretty good success though grabbing frames from DVD movies. With this technique, however, things just got a whole lot better.

Thanks again, and I'll definitely be looking forward to anything you produce on advanced texturing for XSI.

Regards.
- ub52

KurtLawson
08-21-2004, 03:01 AM
i have both the new soft training vids and some of joes companies tut's. the overlap in a nice way so far i have not found to much redundencies.

man i so cant wait for more rendertree and texture tuts joe. crack the wip and i'll give you another 50 bucks with a smile. box modeling would be wicked too.

also you got to love joe when you read his post on pirate forums where yell's at them for trying to steal his stuff and then coresponds with out of country guys on ways for them legally buy the stuff.

eagerly waiting for advanced render tree vol 2 and 3 and 4 and however many it takes.

kurt

3dtutorial
08-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi ub52,

I had a look at your website -- cool stuff, keep up the great work !!

I've also used DVD's for grabbing frames for reference images and this can be an excellent way off gathering hard to find images.

Thanks again for all your comments, I will keep you posted regarding future texturing stuff.

:-)

Cheers mate,

Joe

3dtutorial
08-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi KurtLawson,

Thanks for your comments.

(LONG POST)

Yeah, I really want to finish the Rendertree series as well. I wanted to have the next few volumes out already, however, the author Alan Jones and his wife have recently had a new baby to deal with so things got pushed back a bit -- sadly. To make matters even more complex, he has just moved his whole family from Australia to the UK, so he needs a bit of time to re-establish himself -- so of course, this has put the brakes on the project.

Still, I know he has been working on it and trust me, his outline for this series is outstanding and it will be WELL worth the wait for these next few volumes. But yeah, it is a bit of shame that we have not been able to get them published as quickly as we should have done.

But I am trying -- I promise you !!!!

(BEGIN RANT)

Regarding my comments to people on warez forums -- yeah, I do give them a shout from time to time. But look, here is where I am coming from on this.....

I work really hard to produce this material. It is no lie when I say that I have devoted at least 18 hours a day for nearly the past 10 years to create this stuff, and I take my mission to provide the community with great tutorials and training at a reasonable price very seriously.

I know that certain group of people will always want to get hold of my things without paying for them -- that's human nature. I can't stop piracy and I am fully aware of that fact.

I simply ask people to please support our products and not to steal them or distribute them on warez forums or p2p newtworks.

Why?

Well, it's not out of greed I assure you -- it's simply because if people don't support my efforts by buying copies of our training for themselves then I will NO longer be able to produce this kind of training at all -- it's as simple as that.

The truth is that it costs me a lot of time and money to produce these tutorials for our community. For example, the Advanced Character Rigging (ACR) series by Adam Sale took me nearly a year to produce -- A YEAR. Remember, this tutorial is more then 27 hours in length !!!

I will spare you all the details but the issue here is that I have to work on this material full time and support myself while I do so. My costs are high because I have to run a small office, pay an accountant, taxes,......well, you get the idea -- it all costs money.

One other intersting aspect of 3dtutorial is that I PAY all the authors who produce material for us, so when you support 3dtutorial you are directly supporting the artist, not some fat-cat company.

Since I started 3dtutorial I have been devoted to providing affordable training, most of our products sell for below US$50.00 which is the cost of a good 3d book. I don't think any reasonable person thinks that 50 bucks is a lot of money (although, I know it can be in some countries). The fact is that I sell our products FAR below thier actual cost because I want to them to be available to most people who want to learn.

I am aware that some people live in places where US$50.00 is a lot of money. I often help people in such situations on a case by case basis and I have provided MANY people with FREE material over the years, so I do what I can to help.

The upshot is this....our community is small and I don't sell these tutorials in great numbers. Your support is important because it allows me to continue my work and to produce the best training possible.

So at the end of the day it comes down to this.....

Support 3dtutorial by purchasing our products and there will be more.

Support the prirates or download stuff off p2p networks and well, I will go out of business and that will be the end of all my efforts to help our community.

It really is up to YOU guys :-))

(/RANT)

Cheers,

Joe

KurtLawson
08-21-2004, 03:29 PM
thanx for fighting the good fight.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the series i bought and thought they way worth the money.

i hope all these people including my self that saved a thousand by xsi now will spend some well justified dough on some training vids so you can get some new ones published.

kurt

francescaluce
08-21-2004, 06:31 PM
ehy big joe.. I don't believe you !!

ciao
francesca

3dtutorial
08-21-2004, 06:48 PM

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.