PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Maya 6 render problems

jmerrill
08-10-2004, 05:42 PM
This same post with a graphic explaining things is here:

http://cmt.icfconsulting.com/temp/renderProb2.htm (http://cmt.icfconsulting.com/temp/renderProb2.htm)

I have a 900 frame animation I'm trying to render to .avi format - apparently Mental Ray does not support movie clip formats, so I'm using Maya Software. Anyway, my render globals are set to start at frame 1 and end at frame 900, - before I leave work for the day, I start a batch render to work overnight since it takes a while to render.

When I get into work the next morning, only 110 frames have been rendered and Maya is no longer rendering. I have turned off all screensavers and energy savers on my machine, which is a well-equipped Dell workstation running XP.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Also, if I could tack on another question, I'm not sure how to set up a sky properly in my scene, (my camera rotates 360 degrees around an object) so I made a huge sphere with a sky texture on it. Is this the "normal" way of doing this? This was rendering fine, but now there is some slight dark blurry areas which don't look right and are not in my photoshop file which I am importing onto the sphere. The dark smudges are in a pattern around the sphere, so its nothing to do with lighting as far as I can tell. I can post an image if it helps.

Dr. Ira Kane
08-10-2004, 06:34 PM
That was said so many times, you should get that good habit to render not to avi but single frames, if sth goes wrong ( and it will sooner or later ) you render the rest of the frames, much faster, then you composite then all together and tweak as you need.

djx
08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Definitely render to sequence of single frames.

Map sky texture to incandescence of black lambert.

Turn off shadow casting/receiving for sky surface. (If you are using a poly sky-surface, then it could also be a normals problem.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.