PDA

View Full Version : Slight warning about the 6.0.1 update!

Jozvex
08-10-2004, 01:15 AM
I just installed the 6.0.1 update and then went to install the new mix8layers Mental Ray shader, only to discover that the update replaced my Maya.rayrc file with the default one!!

:sad:

So make a copy of your finely crafted file so you can re-replace it when you upgrade!

Pixero
08-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the warning.

Jozvex
08-10-2004, 07:56 AM
No problem Pixero, I submitted it as a bug to Alias so hopefully they see it soon and add a warning or backup procedure.

djx
08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
With regards to this maya.rayrc...
In version 6 they added the mentalray shader manager.
(window:render-editors:mental-ray:shader-manager)

I thought it may make maya.rayrc redundant, but that doesnt seem to be true. What is the intention of this shader-manager?

grafix
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the warning, Jozvex!

Unfortunately, I read it too late... :banghead:

slipknot66
08-10-2004, 03:32 PM
loll.. me too...#$$%#@#$%!!!!:rolleyes:

Jozvex
08-10-2004, 11:31 PM
I thought it may make maya.rayrc redundant, but that doesnt seem to be true. What is the intention of this shader-manager?

Well, here's what the help file says:

"The Shader Manager lets you interactively load and unload mental ray shader libraries and work with them during a Maya session. (You no longer need to shut down first, and you no longer need to set the environment variable MI_CUSTOM_SHADER_PATH.)"

So I guess maybe for instance, if you didn't need all the Lume shaders in your scene, you could unload them and it would remove all the tons of Lume shader icons from the Hypershade etc?

And I suppose if you're a shader developer, you could keep loading/unloading your work-in-progress shader while testing and fixing it, without having to restart Maya each time. I'm totally guessing though!!

And in case it helps any of you, I've attached my re-built Maya.rayrc file!

:thumbsup:

Dr. Ira Kane
08-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi Jozvex,

Thanks for the warning, wasn't too late for me fortunately :D I have less shaders in my file but i have one question what is that skin shader ? could you give a link to this one, i could use some skin shader that's for sure :D ( i have one but it doesn't work with mr well).Thanks.

Jozvex
08-11-2004, 01:38 AM
It's a skin shader from this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157170

:)

Dr. Ira Kane
08-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks, looks like a very nice shader !

mattwood
08-11-2004, 01:41 PM
You can keep your maya.rayrc file in your prefs directory to keep it from getting overwritten by new installations. This copy of the file will override the installed version. It often makes more sense to do that anyway; it's not usually desirable to be hacking installation files.

Jozvex
08-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Really? I didn't know it looked in your prefs folder first for the Maya.rayrc file! There's no mention of that anywhere that I've seen.

Thanks for the info!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.