PDA

View Full Version : 2D Animation noob

kikaider
08-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi guys! I am new to 2D animation and would like to find out what is the easiest and fastest way to transfer my paper drawings to the computer? I find scanning a really slow and tedious job. Sometimes scanning few hundred sheets of paper can really be a pain!

Ilsoap
08-12-2004, 07:02 AM
I've heard several options on how to do this, but it's the same basic technique; get a webcam or a digital camera with motion capture, and attach it to a stand of some kind that is a few feet away from where you put your drawings. Open up a program like Adobe Premiere, go to Stop Motion (or a similar function), and capture your drawings that way.

It's not perfect, but I've done many line tests this way.

kikaider
08-20-2004, 02:37 PM
So if i use a digital camera i would be pasting my drawings on the wall??
How do the professionals transfer their drawings to the computer??

kevinw
08-20-2004, 05:02 PM
In school we set a camera up that sat above the pegboard pointing down. Then we just shot each page one at a time. It goes pretty quick but the quality is not as good as scanning. Sadly scanning one at a time is pretty much the industry standard. Bigger companies like dreamworks have auto feed scanners which make inserting the pages easier but it's still one page at a time. The guy sitting next to me right now worked at Disney Feature animation for a couple years and has just informed me that he would spend all day at a scanner going one drawing at a time with thousands of drawings. The only way to really speed up the process is to scan at a smaller resolution. Personally I'll stick to 3D

kikaider
08-22-2004, 01:17 PM
So after scanning in my drawings, what is the industry standard program to produce my line test??

dom93hatch
08-23-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know any industry standard program, but I just used Premiere to import a sequence of images that I took with my digicam.

javalicious
08-23-2004, 11:19 PM
CHeck the sticky thread here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=48137

I've been playing with the Tab and Mirage.

kikaider
08-25-2004, 07:32 AM
What is open source compositing?? The Tab does not only support flash style animation right?? If i would like to paint my own stuff and just put it in there to compose, thats possible too?

steveblake
08-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Tip: if / when you do get your stuff on computer you probebely be wanting to clean it up and colour it. If so there's a nice tip for 2d paint / fill gap detection on this thread HERE (http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009051)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.