PDA

View Full Version : mix8layer MR shader

Pixero
08-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Francesca has release a new MR shader called mix8layer.
Works like photoshop layers.
Get it here: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/shaders/?sort=dt_modified+desc#3058

Ive been beta testing it and its soooo nice with color correction and different blending modes. Its one of those shaders that Alias should have made years ago. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stahlberg
08-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Yes, I agree, I'm using it in my skinshader and teethshader now, and it speeds up rendering too! Francesca, we love you! :)

Digidim
08-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Great one ...thx a lot Francesca !

Dr. Ira Kane
08-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for this one, looks like it can be very handy :)

popol
08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
thanks francesca:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Jozvex
08-10-2004, 01:20 AM
Go Francesca go!!

Nice work once again!

Osaires
08-10-2004, 09:28 AM
So does this mean we finaly got a layered shader node for mentalray?

Can't wait to test it :)

MunCHeR
08-10-2004, 10:03 AM
WOOT WOOT WOOT, sounds cool, many thanks franchesca, apologies again for thinking you were a guy lol

MunCH

hs3d
08-10-2004, 02:02 PM
hi,

its working great!

does anyone know what each blend mode number means?
is it suppose to work with maya render too?

thanks francesca,

Haim

Pixero
08-10-2004, 02:52 PM
hs3d,
Its a MentalRay shader so it will only work with MR.
Install the AEmix8layerTemplate.mel in your C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My documents\maya\6.0\scripts and you will get the names of all the blend modes.

hs3d
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
tnx pixero!
it works.

Haim

slipknot66
08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Im having problem with this shader, the alpha channel its not working.I thought that it worked like the Maya layer shader, but no.. its different.What i want to create is a brick wall, and then a concrete wall with alpha channel above the brick wall, but the alpha its not working.:shrug:

francescaluce
08-14-2004, 12:05 PM
thanks guys !!

ciao
francesca

ps__ slipknot66: the alpha channel is working. you can apply alpha channel directly from your img if you saved from psd checking the alphachannel checkbox.. this will enable 'alphachannelling' on every blending modes.., or you can enable alphachannel by choosing the alpha blending mode.., or you can enable alphachannel by choosing normal.mix and plug the alpha into the o.factor.

slipknot66
08-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Obrigado=Thank you francesca:)

Zemorph
08-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks francesca for the XSI port :)

tripNfall
08-14-2004, 10:54 PM
This shader rocks. It's totally great that you made a shader that controls HSV. I have been waiting for a clean HSV implementation for a very long while. And layers too, sweet.

:thumbsup: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)[/url][url="http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#"] (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

KidderD
08-16-2004, 02:18 AM
So, is this a shader or something else?

There is no .mi file right? Am I missing something, I can't seem to get it to work. Where is the shader supposed to pop up so that I can access it?

Initially, I thought this was the problem,

Install the AEmix8layerTemplate.mel in your C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\My documents\maya\6.0\scripts and you will get the names of all the blend modes.

But, I checked and have it saved in that folder, and other AETemplates that are in that folder are working. So, I am not sure what is going on?

After trying to load the skintest02 file, I only get a part of the shading network, and the AE node for mix8 doesn't display much. Just some numbers and modes.

Thanks!

Pixero
08-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Kidder, Of cause there is a .mi file. Look in the right directory: mix8.layer_v1.0b\maya\mentalray

KidderD
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
That's screwedup man.... what was I on this weekend. Actually, for some reason, this dl looks different than the first 5 times I tried it, I did try dl from a different computer, maybe theres an issue there I should look into.

But, anyway, yeah makes perfect sense now, thanks.

dynamic duotone
08-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any luck getting it to work on Maya 6 for MAC...

We did the conversion with GCC, loaded it into the appropriate places and it looks like it loaded. But then when we went to render, all we get is a total black render (no alpha either) - we used the skintest02.mb file that was posted to test it the first time, but no luck.

Could there be something we missed - we tried doing the Mac conversion on 2 different computers here, same result on both. Anyone else had luck?

Conversion of francesca's BumpCombiner went without a hitch, so we figure that we may be missing a file or something.

Thanks
DD

MunCHeR
08-25-2004, 04:15 PM
OK cool, just got a transparent logo on my dielectric glass and this node is in the network, so I thought I would post a render and test scene, there's probably another way to do it, but after stuffing around for a day or so with different things I finally got it working.

http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/algorhythm/signageTest.jpg

scene file (http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/algorhythm/MR_Glass_Logo.rar)

have fun with it, any recommendations on something I've connected would be cool, just glad I got it looking OK finally:thumbsup:

Cheers

MunCH

Dr. Ira Kane
08-25-2004, 05:34 PM
That glass looks very good, i will take a look at the scene, thanks.

Blur1
08-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi, can someone please port this to Maya 6 OS X? A Mach-O compile would be easiest, I guess? I would love to try it out. :love:

Michael

Lee_cn
10-10-2004, 07:37 AM
See first Eh, try again

WhiteRabbitObj
12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks a lot for posting that scene file. I'd never have figured out how to get the decal-type thing going otherwise. Great shader Francesca.

lovisx
03-15-2005, 02:21 AM
I followed the installation readmes to a T, and I can't find the shader anywhere in Maya. The only reason I can think of is because I'm using version 6.0.1 of Maya. Or is there an extra step that doesn't come in the installation?

lovisx
03-15-2005, 02:30 AM
whoops sorry, false alarm, everyone back to their desks

ninus3d
03-16-2005, 07:29 AM
;)

Nice going fran

akewt
03-30-2005, 11:32 PM
i cant get my mix8layer to produce an alpha channel in any render. anyone had this?

its actually acting like a black hole!

tom_c
03-31-2005, 12:27 AM
dynamic duotone:

Did you actually get a completed frame or did it get stuck? I OSX compiled it, but I only have Maya 5.0.1...

With 5.0.1, MR shaders seem to have to be in pure C in order to work. mix8 uses some C++ calls so it gets stuck the first time it gets called in a render. If you enable 'detailed messages' you see it cant find the c++ function.

Maybe theyve fixed it with v6? That would be cool, if only I could afford the upgrade l-)

:banghead:

:-)
tom

francescaluce
03-31-2005, 01:21 AM
i cant get my mix8layer to produce an alpha channel in any render.
it's a problem for any custom mr shader.
you resolve that by checking 'Pass Custom Alpha Channel',
under renderGlobals->CustomEntities.
also be sure to use the mix8layer 1.1(highend3D->maya->shaders).

MR shaders seem to have to be in pure C in order to work.
all is 'pure C' in mentalray under any platform.
still it's strange that the bumpCombiner works,
until the mix2color included with that shader
is really a c&p from the mix8layer.
I forgot, what errors do you get from the verbose ?

ciao
francesca

akewt
03-31-2005, 02:28 AM
francescaluce..... i think i love you.

you have selflessly provided many good shaders for the community and also backup for the not so tuned in people like moi!

thx alot, i've been pulling my hair with this.

Kev

tom_c
03-31-2005, 07:38 AM
I forgot, what errors do you get from the verbose ?

"Call to undeclared function powf()"

where as there are no probs with pow(). I looked it up and powf is documented as a c++ only extension to pow(). I think i had the same prpblem with sign().

Maybe there are issues with my compile settings, but Im just using the ones from the MR devkit. Ive heard some else say this before too.

Like you say though, odd the bumpCombiner works ok...

cheers

tom

raudi
03-31-2005, 11:54 AM
!PROBLEM!

i have a polyobject, which should only be visible where the alpha_texture is white
and i did that with the mix8layer, an invisible_Lambert (transparency 100%) and finally a Glass Shader (Denfo Glass).

the problem is that the part that actually should be invisible, because of the Lambert that has a transparency of 100% is rendered black!

maybe i did sth. wrong! Please Help

look at the jpeg:

http://tinypic.com/2isxup

if you want to have the scene, write a PM!!

THX raudi

francescaluce
03-31-2005, 02:16 PM
francescaluce..... i think i love you.
you have selflessly provided many good shaders for the community...
:blush::cool:

you should thank mainly steven stalhberg,
he dropped an email to me asking why he
was having so much problems with the factory
layered shader.. I was so worried that an artist
like him was not so free to continue his wonderful
work also with mr, that after a whole night of
coding, the morning after I came up with the
mix8layer. I remember this every time I see that
someone uses my shader. all things considered,
it is by the community, for the community.

"Call to undeclared function powf()"
tom look at your emal. :)

ciao
francesca

tom_c
04-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

Francesca, many thanks for all the help.. :thumbsup:

mix8layer for OSX (http://www.tomcowland.com/mentalray)

Theres also compiles of Dirtmap and Diffusion up there too now for the mac crowd...

have fun,
TC

Vinc
04-02-2005, 10:04 AM
It's no clear on your web page.... what about the 6 and 6.5 compatibility of the all of that??
vinc

tom_c
04-02-2005, 10:14 AM
It shouldn't make any difference to compatibility with Maya 6+

As I only have Maya 5 then I cant tell you any more with certainly!

all the best,
Tom

Vinc
04-02-2005, 02:56 PM
ok.... mix8layer.so tested and working on maya 6 mac :thumbsup:
as it goes for tc_p_zDepth (really pleased with that :buttrock: ) ..... but not for madvelvet... "mr rendering aborded etc etc" ( just try once so it can be up to me )
anyway, big thanks from mac users ;-)
vinc

digones
04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Greetings!

it seems that mix8layer is working with 6.5 as well :)

Thanks again, Tom!

cheers

cgtriguy
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
mix8layer working fine on my OSX machine:applause: althogh I can't get the bumpCombiner from tom-'s site to render anything. :cry: Kudos to all working to enhance the Maya/MR experience for the MAC community.

onlooker
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
mix8layer working fine on my OSX machine:applause: althogh I can't get the bumpCombiner from tom-'s site to render anything. :cry: Kudos to all working to enhance the Maya/MR experience for the MAC community.

What version of Maya are you using?

I just compiled Puppet's shaders_p set for Maya 6.5 on my neighbors sons computer. They seemed to be working. I sent the shaders_p.so back to puppet.

cgtriguy
04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I am using 6.5.

digones
04-06-2005, 08:56 PM
cgtriguy,

Check your maya.rayrc file and change the following line:

mi "{MAYABASE}/bumpCombiner.mi"

to:

mi "{MAYABASE}/include/bumpCombiner.mi"

this should solve your problem... at least that solved my problem. Other than that you probably are missing some step in the installing process.

cheers

cgtriguy
04-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Digones - I'm not at my machine right now to check but I am almost positive that is how I have it written. Although, if the past is any predictor of the future I am probably wrong. Thanks for the tip.

There is a chance that I am not using it correctly and that is my issue as I installed the misx8layer and the Dirtmap shader at the same time and they both work perfectly. I have not tried to use the shader with much yet other than the sample scenes that were downloaded with the shader. I am still farily new to MR and am still trying to learn how to use everything. This is goig to sound lame but...how do you assign the bump combiner to geometry? Do I assign it to the bump of a maya material (lambert, phong...) or do I plug it into something else? or nothing at all? This is pretty humbling to a guy who has a degree in physics, engineering and medicine.

digones
04-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Digones - I'm not at my machine right now to check but I am almost positive that is how I have it written. Although, if the past is any predictor of the future I am probably wrong. Thanks for the tip.

There is a chance that I am not using it correctly and that is my issue as I installed the misx8layer and the Dirtmap shader at the same time and they both work perfectly. I have not tried to use the shader with much yet other than the sample scenes that were downloaded with the shader. I am still farily new to MR and am still trying to learn how to use everything. This is goig to sound lame but...how do you assign the bump combiner to geometry? Do I assign it to the bump of a maya material (lambert, phong...) or do I plug it into something else? or nothing at all? This is pretty humbling to a guy who has a degree in physics, engineering and medicine.

assign it to an object just like you do with any regular shader material (middle-drag over and release)....

middle-drag your regular material over bumpcombiner and choose "m_input" to assing a pre-existing material to the bumpcombiner.

if you wanna bump your baby, just choose any "m_bump" slot instead of "m_input" when you release the button...

cgtriguy
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
digones - Thank you so much. I figured it out, I think. I think that it was a problem with the example scene files and not with the shader itself. When I used it from scratch it worked great. I noticed the icons for the bump combiner that are used in the network in the scene file were different from the one in the material tab and when selected the attribite editor only shows a "node behavior" tab and an "extra att." tab. Anyway thank you so much for the help.

xenoid
06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Many thanx to francescaluce for the shader! :buttrock:

But can the bumpcombiner or mix8layer handle multiple UV sets bump mapping? I tried but can't seem to get it to work :shrug:

Throbberwocky
07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi,

is it possible to connect a misss_fast_simple_maya shader network to the base layer of a mix8layer node and if yes, how can I achieve it?

I tried several ways but none worked properly. When I simply connect the misss_fast_simple_maya node to the mix8layer for example, the lightmap_write node gets missed and the sss effect is gone.

So does anybody have a hint?
Thanks a lot ...

zkanal
07-06-2005, 08:28 AM
You must put the lightmap in the SG of mix8Layer as well.. :lightbulb

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 08:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.