PDA

View Full Version : Question about Maya specularity and reflection

AdriaticSong
08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Hello CGTalkers

can anyone tell me in which slot is one to put the painted specularity
map in Maya? (my previous 3D package had a spec map slot) I looked in the manuals
but can't find anything on this specific issue.
For example Blinn has "Eccentricity", "Specular Roll Off", "Specular Color".
In which slot should I put my specular texture? I suspect it's specular color but then
how do I change the specular tint since the speculat texture is black/white?

Also there is something I do not get about Maya reflections. It doesn't seem to work
unless I enable specularity, they are not independant as in other packages.
Can anyone suggest settings for Blin/PhongE for reflections (turn down speculars
to 0.1%?)?

I hope some of you can answer as I am new to Maya and manuals aren't clear
on some of these things. Thank You.

augustus
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Maya shaders don't have a separate specular map channel you mention, you need to put your texture to specular color. If you don't want to change the actual color of your texture, you can always use a ramp or blend colors node to do that. For example:

-Create a blend colors node
-Connect outAlpha (or one of the rgb channels) to blend attr. of blend colors
-Set two colors of blend colors as you want.
-Connect output of blend colors to specular color

To make a blinn reflective but not specular, you can set eccentricity to 0. Similarly, to make phongE reflective but not specular, set hilight size to 0. Since specularty is a fake reflection of light source, dependence of reflectivity to specularity makes sense, but I would prefer independant reflectivity too (PhongE gives you an extra parameter to control specularity: whiteness)

AdriaticSong
08-09-2004, 01:25 PM
That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot mate.

Cheers :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.