PDA

View Full Version : Cracking concrete

Grey
08-02-2002, 07:44 PM
I'm trying to solve a problem.

I have to animate a solid peice of concrete cracking, showing a crack running from one side of the slab to the other.

I'm trying to do this with geometry, but it's not working very well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

FatAssasin
08-02-2002, 08:06 PM
Have you tried doing it using morph targets? Morp-O-Matic is a plugin from Digimation that lets you set progressive morph targets that the model has to go through before it reaches the final target. I think that would work. I also believe Max 5 does that.

Or you can just make an animated texture.

Grey
08-02-2002, 08:16 PM
I started doing that, and I think the morph target solution is probably going to be the best...

It only means that I have to go back and really plan out the geometries cracking so that I can morph down the crack over time... (gaw). then split it up into several pieces as it separates...

I'll also have to animate the textures as I'm morphing......

I was hoping someone had a simpler solution...

FatAssasin
08-02-2002, 08:28 PM
The only other thing I can think of is using an animated displacement map.

Grey
08-02-2002, 08:36 PM
the problem being that I have to crack it and separate it, so it's going to have to be several objects in the end.

The first which is morphed single object, and a set for the second broken up, but based on the first, UVMapped the same...

Jozvex
08-03-2002, 01:48 AM
Animated booleans perhaps?

sounds like a tough shot

Grey
08-04-2002, 04:47 AM
it kinda is... it's a closeup detail of concrete cracking...

I'm lucky in that I don't have to texture it (that's not my strongpoint) but I do have to UVMap it (which is my strongpoint). To UVMap it I have to build it optomized for the UVMap and animation both...

I'm almost there, fortunately they're making it worth my while... :D

E.T
08-08-2002, 09:36 AM
the problem being that I have to crack it and separate it, so it's going to have to be several objects in the end.

i was doing something similar the other day, not concrete though but i needed separate bits of debris falling from a character. I just detatched the polys inside of the main object, sort of glued them back into place so that no cracks were visible and then animated them. Worked for me. Its a quick & dirty, i know, and it wouldnt work with something too complex, but hey... maybe youll get some ideas from it.. :lightbulb ?

E.T

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.