PDA

View Full Version : Request for Video Tutorials by anyone good with XSI

ChaosCommand
08-08-2004, 04:32 PM
So many video tutorials out there are either old, or require money for them to be used.

If anyone is willing to make good Video tutorials for XSI, let me know, I can try and host them... I run my own webserver, I only have 256kb upload speed though... so i don't know how well it would be, but I'd try and host them.

I see much potential for XSI to be the best 3D application... actually IMHO it is the best 3d application, but it is lacking heavily in community

Or maybe there are others with faster servers willing to host video tutorials?

I think lots of people are good enough to make video tutorials, and hosting might be the only problem.

So if this is the case, we should try and help out!

:bounce:

titaniumdave
08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Check out http://www.3d-palace.com/

Atyss
08-09-2004, 07:22 AM
>>> So many video tutorials out there are either old, or require money for them to be used.

Duh? Good videos take time, man. I speak by experience. In fact, so much time that it's not interesting to produce one without a compensation. Thinking that these should all be free is an idealistic assumption. I don't know how you expect experts to make videos if they have to take time from their personal time with no other form of compensation than a slap in the back.

>>> I see much potential for XSI to be the best 3D application... actually IMHO it is the best 3d application, but it is lacking heavily in community

Yeah ok I see. For you, community should provide free videos, right? Actually there are many. Take a look at the videos from the Softimage website. Many of them are pretty advanced. Also check Mesmer. edharriss.com will also point you to several ones.

Cheers
Bernard

SheepFactory
08-09-2004, 07:52 AM
I agree with atyss. Quality and Free dont go together very well , if someone is spending their time doing those tutorials they should be compensated. there are a lot of free written tutorials on the net , going through the tutorials at ed harriss's site alone will take you close to five six months.

i recommend 3d tutorial and especially the XSI dvd's from softimage if you are serious about learning it.

pimeto
08-09-2004, 06:35 PM
theare is no free launch man.
im not going to be surprised if you want somebody to give you a pill with all the knowldge you need to make 3d :)
just drink it and, whooopeee, here i am, 3d master.
no no no, read, read, read. when you know stuff, start practising ;)

dwin
08-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I think you should check in http://www.edharriss.com you can find a lot of tutorial for XSI. I don't think everything it's an old stuff. There are video tutorial too in there.

MyAMeE
08-10-2004, 10:44 AM
So many video tutorials out there are either old, or require money for them to be used. If you invest money to get the soft ware then investment on learning should not be an issue. Then again you may have XSI|EXP so free tutorials may make sence. www.3d-palace.com is a good place, and old tutorials are not that bad.

olblue
09-03-2004, 01:26 PM
True enough. Also making tutorials is not just about cranking up a copy of camtasia and recording yourself for an hour, then opening the FTP and uploading your latest masterpiece, there are a lot of other aspects to take into account. Making a video tutorials leads to a lot of problems that people do not realise. Its a little off the scope of the post however this is everything that a video tutorial author or a video tutorial site owner really needs to consider;

Bandwidth. Considering that the average tutorial is 100 megs and the average tutorial pillage rate can get higher than 100 downloads an hour for a popular set, a home connection will not suffice if your end users want to get more than 0.5kps. Your alternative then is to move into hosted servers. I see a lot of people who are given space and bandwidth off a friend who has a large server running, great, however nothing spoils a friendship like running a site pulling about 500 gigs a week from their server and they find that kind of thing closes fast, leaving the only viable and real option being to buy or rent yourself.

So, you have your rented server, you put your files up and link them in? Bad move. Every unethical tutorials site around will direct link them, people will email each other the links and suddenly you have 20 days left in the month and your bandwidth allowance is gone. You are now paying by the gig or possibly even the meg on overuse. To get around this then you need a secured membership based downloads system or a redirection based free downloads system. You now have your site running and people are emailing you crap every day about links being broken, what codec you use, why your site is gay compared to 3dbuzz / 3dtotal...etc etc. Time to open a forum and link that to your downloads system then.

So, what does every nooby site owner do? They grab PHPnuke... bad start and welcome to hackerville. To run a tutorials site with a large content for high volumes of users you need a hand coded site with specific features built in like queues, statistics, ban systems, protection and so on. This usually means a php integration into a bulletin board like vbulletin or phpbb or whatever. Hell, we havent even discussed tutorials recording even...

Ok, so you have your site and your trusted moderator team and perhaps a spare admin in case you take a holiday or get sick. Whats next? Doh... tutorials.

Look at this list and see if this applies to you;

Amusing Nasal Voice
Darth Vader asthma
Un-tracable and indecipherable foreign accent
Some sort of facial paralisys.

You got any of those? Think honestly. To record a tutorial you NEED to record with audio, a visual medium is great, however its really like trying to read a comic strip without the speech bubbles. Can you talk to yourself for one hour without swearing, blaspheming, lighing one up or suddenly suffering from a 40 minute aural block? Its not as easy as you think, you are talking to a computer screen with a mic in the way and thinking all the time about the end user, at the same time trying not to be dull and repetative.

Ok, so your tutorial idea is great! You are going to build a full size Boing 747 with passengers and animate it! Cool... lets open camtasia and go...

Ok, reality. Here is how it goes really if you want to record a tutorial set of that kind of scope (I know what I speak of here);

Take a week to look at models, blueprints and concept sketches and familiarise yourself with the entire model selection you are building. Break each piece down into its modelling basics.

Do a complete dry run, model every part slowly and with care.

Delete

Repeat the modelling doing it faster and looking for ways to improve efficiency

Delete

You are now about ready. If you are working from home, have your study prepared and get a good mic. You can record on average about 4 hours per day on a good day. Each of those 4 hours will have to be checked by an editor for swearing or anything else you may not have noticed during recording time.

Ok, so you have recorded your epic tutorials set, now off to the compressor because at the moment its about the size of the FBI mainframe archive. Hope you have a good compression guru because this part aint fun. Too big and it eats bandwidth, quality too low and your users cant watch it.

Incidentally about 9/10ths of all your tutorials will go in recycle bin. In addition most tutorial authors or tutorials sites close in the first year as its very hard to stay motivated for a free service. People still expect quality and customer service even if its free, and they will let you know REPEATEDLY if it isnt.

Upload time! Now everyone in the world can watch YOU modelling and can see all the little funny things you do at the keyboard whilst listening to your contant nasal drip... welcome to the fun world of the video tutorial author! So, have you gained anything from this?

Whats this though? 4 downloads? Where are all the members? Im not even going to MENTION how hard it is for a tutorials site to get members... And wait ... WHERES ALL MY MONEY?

Yeah, free tutorials sites... its great to run one, however you better have deep pockets :) I dont pay my tutorial authors unless its for a commercial project, however I do pay for any necessary upgrades, site maintenence, coder work, server upgrades, server rental and so on.

And this long winded talk is why you cannot find free tutorial authors very easily. Well... good ones anyway ;)

Now please excuse me as I have yet another set of tutorials to fill.

HAVE FUN! ;)

(and you might find that there are a few good XSI tutorials if you head over to www.3dtutorial.com (http://www.3dtutorial.com) or of course you could try the free selection of XSI ones at 3d-palace)

3dtutorial
09-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi olblue,

Well said mate, well said.

People have NO idea how much effort goes into producing high quality training.

Thanks for providing some insight, I could not have said it better.

Cheers,

Joe

francescaluce
09-03-2004, 04:54 PM
People have NO idea how much effort goes into producing high quality training. ehy guyz.. no one force you to do what you do. also I think that if you make great tuts.. they should be funny tuts.. with a good spirit.. if you have no fun.. really you have nothing to teach to anyone. though I think tuts from 3Dtutorial are really great also for the price, I am a little bit worried about your health.. keep it on. :)

ciao
francesca

olblue
09-03-2004, 05:10 PM
True adding humour is important so that people continue to listen and watch, however my last tutorial set was 47 hours long... no one can do dick jokes and fart gags for 47 hours without dying inside...

No one forces us to do what we do, however if you run a 3d site and do not maintain and add to it very very regularly then it dies fast. Also its good helping the community, free video tutorials stop newbies bothering the experienced ones with questions when now merely a link to a site will keep them happy for hours. Finally I enjoy making tutorials...

;)

Cris

dragon_little
09-03-2004, 11:21 PM
darth vader asthma

thatīs funny, hehe

I agree with the stuff you said. If the video tutorial is good, Iīam willing to pay for it.
If itīs not good, or cheap recorded, it should be free.

chris

olblue
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM
However I also think its important that there is a good free stock of free tutorials out there for the new and intermediate stage that will assist them without their having to pay. Low end tutorials for new users are just kazaa fodder, however on a well managed website they are useful and also prevent new users from clogging up forums with "how do I make shrek 3" posts and so on.

Out of my stock about 70% of it is free, the remainder is sponsor access (you pay... I love you big time... TEN DOLLAR!) and then hangong over the top of that are my commercial DVDs I am producing / have produced. The DVDs pay for the expansion, the sponsor stuff pays for the site and thats what enables me to give away terras of tutorials for free.

Rock and / or Roll

Cris

Atyss
09-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Hi olblue,

Thanks for summing up the whole thing. I did 12 hours of tutorial for 3dtutorial, and am preparing another one if not more, and you couldn't have said it better. Thank God, Joe replaces my narration by his, because my lessons would have fall into the " Un-tracable and indecipherable foreign accent", not to mention that little nervousness to screw up making my voice tone higher..... ish.

Thanks again, I'll keep your post in my favorites.

Bernard

chikega
09-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Here's a good saying for clients that works for this thread as well:

1)You can get it good

2)You can get it cheap

3)You can get it fast

Pick any of the two above.

So, you can get it good and fast but it ain't gonna be cheap. You can get it cheap and fast but it ain't gonna be good. You can get it good and cheap, but you're not going to get it fast. And so on and so forth... :)

ChrisMoss
09-07-2004, 11:58 AM
However I also think its important that there is a good free stock of free tutorials out there for the new and intermediate stage that will assist them without their having to pay. Low end tutorials for new users are just kazaa fodder, however on a well managed website they are useful and also prevent new users from clogging up forums with "how do I make shrek 3" posts and so on.

Out of my stock about 70% of it is free, the remainder is sponsor access (you pay... I love you big time... TEN DOLLAR!) and then hangong over the top of that are my commercial DVDs I am producing / have produced. The DVDs pay for the expansion, the sponsor stuff pays for the site and thats what enables me to give away terras of tutorials for free.

Rock and / or Roll

Cris
OlBlue,

You speak the truth of the Gods...

I have been to you site and was one of the first I looked along with EdHarriss Site. The site is easy to use and has everything you need.

People need to get a grip and realise that everything is not going to get dumped on your lap, you need to pay and search for what you want. People like Ed Harris and ou buddy Olblue here, do this because they luv it (and they are making a little cash on the side), but mainly because of the luv. Both Ed and Cris here, started out with nothing and do rely on their own initiative and the assistance of other submitting their own tutes.

Nothing is free, everything has its Price...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.