PDA

View Full Version : alternative material

SheepFactory
02-02-2002, 12:55 PM
hey lildragon can you please tell me what you mean by alternative material on this months challange?.

say we are modelling a vehicle , is it going to be any material but metal for example?

thanks in advance

A|i

Khar_Negt
02-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool to see I'm not the only one to not understand this statements... iouf :)
Please help us... Vehicule look easier to realize for me :)

lildragon
02-02-2002, 03:43 PM
heheh I'm not sure Equinoxx masterminded that statement :), I'll try to clear it up in a sec :)

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 03:48 PM
how's about I clearify my own statement huh ;)

with alternative materials I mean any other material than currently used for vehicles. Think cloth, wood, metal scraps, plastic. In short, a mix of any type of material Post-Apoc people could get their hands on the build a vehicle suit for transportation.

lildragon
02-02-2002, 03:55 PM
cool, I'll post that in the update ;)

Joebount
02-02-2002, 05:01 PM
hum, tell me if I'm wrong, but the Brotherhood of steel have equipment only made with perfect steel, noooo ? :)

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 05:13 PM
perfect steel, yet scraps :P hehe

but seriously, if you were to make a car with a perfect body and perfectly welded plates, that's fine by me, but it would imho look less post-apoc . . .

Bytehawk
02-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Do you mean something like this is acceptable
(welded metal parts)
http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/cgchann/trender10bri.JPG

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 06:06 PM
I can't see why not . . . as said, be creative . . .

MadS
02-02-2002, 09:43 PM
umm ya. Post-apocalypse doesn't necessarily mean 10 years later. Post is post. Could mean 200-1012012109281 years later.
They didn't specifiy that, so actually, you have carte blanche. When I think post apoc, I think no more than 100 years after the big bomb.

And btw, Post Apoc to me is all bout Broken Tech and Rusted metal. You are still going to have scientific minds that survived. New weapons mixed with old. Same goes for vehicles, etc... It's anybodies guess as to how fast the human race would bounce back, and to what extent. It is a sci-fi theme, through and through with no basis on historical merit. For all we know, the post apoc could be like Metal Gear solid in 100-200 years later.

el gatto
02-03-2002, 12:43 AM
I have a good exemple of alternative materials,
Have you ever watch the show junkyard war on TLC ?
well... they use alternative materials :)

heheheh ;)

ciao

Adam Klein
02-03-2002, 01:45 AM
I think Equinoxx (not meaning to speak for you, just happy theres activity on the board;) left it broad so that we would see things other than the standard car metal, tank metal, or spaceship 'metal'

I would have to say that under the 'circumstances' that the vehicles, chars. and environment are under, that scraps will be a huge factor.

Archeologically, Humans of 2002 have quite a bit of artifacts that will be left behind after any apocolypse..... remember 12 Monkeys.... oooh, freaky.

If the vehicle looks too crispy, then it would look like what we know as manufactured, something that humans took a long time to set up, and wouldn't be in the catagory of PA, since it would be more like.... the Industrial age to the next succesful Earth-dominating creatures. I think that is the thing to aviod, with the sky being the limit beyond ;)

just a my couple cents

AdaM

Bytehawk
02-03-2002, 04:25 AM
thanks for the feedback. I know where I'm going now.

See y'all soon

:D

dingo
02-04-2002, 04:57 AM
Post Apocolyptic, could also possibly mean that there is still super technology.

Could possibly have caused a definitive split in human society. Basically the "Have's" and "Have Not's".

I don't know, Post Apocolyptic could be paradise. could be Mad Max.

Either way for me PA doesn't necessarily mean Junk Yard Wars(one of my favorite shows).

Mine will have alternative materials, and powersource, but again just wanted to make a statement.

Adam Klein
02-04-2002, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I hear ya, I just read my post again, and while that is one possibility, it is only that. The character I started isn't composed of scraps at all either, so by all means go beyond what I initially said, that was when the topic just came up.

may your luck be good and your eyes last long under the intense glare of glowing pixels in the late midnight hour, hehe

Ak

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.