PDA

View Full Version : XSI's mental ray faster ?

Dr. Ira Kane
08-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi, i have this question, bothering me now, i'm just curious. I don't have XSI to compare so i'm asking anyone who tried both, is the xsi's mray faster in calculating fg/gi. I mean is it a huge difference ? Assuming we have well optimized scene under maya and xsi. I guess xsi is faster because of great mray implementation, but will the difference be really noticeable ? thanks for you time.

Powell
08-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Calculationg GI/FG...NO, Overall rendering...YES.

The core of MentalRay is the exact same with Maya and XSI, so rendering calculations are the same. The overall rendering times of XSI will always be faster than Maya because XSI was built around MentalRay. When you hit the render button in XSI, MentalRay immediately begins to render your image...In Maya, there is first a translation process, where Maya converts everything in your scene to a MentalRay compatable format. Once all the data is converted, MentalRay can then start the rendering process. So, its this conversion process that adds the extra time to Maya's renders.

Dr. Ira Kane
08-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation, now I can sleep well :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.