PDA

View Full Version : BOXX workstations

wurp
08-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Im thinking about getting a workstation for home use. Ive been looking into BOXX lately. From what Ive heard they seem very reliable and fast but they are a bit pricey. So Im asking you people who are using a BOXX, are they worth the extra money they cost? Did anyone ever do any comparision between a BOXX and a home-built PC? If so how much did it differ? Im all for BOXX since Ive heard great things about them from everyone Ive asked but if I can save maybe 500£ buying separate parts then its a different matter, but if its only a matter of maybe 100£ Id go for BOXX any day.

Hope you guys can help me out :)

Thanks in advance

Ed Caracappa
08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
wurp,

If you're capable of building your own machine, you will certainly save money over buying one from me or, anyone else. If you tell me what software you will be using I can make some recommendations on components. If you decide not to build yourself, I'd be happy to hook you up!

Ed

wurp
08-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I will be running XSI on the system. I know I will save money building my own system, but how much? Im mostly interested in the dual opteron systems by the way. Ive looked at some online stores, but its rather hard to compare as I dont know exactly what componets are in the BOXX, also some components can be hard to find in the same online store. I used to work in a computerstore building computers so I can build a computer myself, but even then Im really worried Ill end up with some components working unstable together...

Ed Caracappa
08-06-2004, 06:10 PM
I will be running XSI on the system. I know I will save money building my own system, but how much? Im mostly interested in the dual opteron systems by the way. Ive looked at some online stores, but its rather hard to compare as I dont know exactly what componets are in the BOXX, also some components can be hard to find in the same online store. I used to work in a computerstore building computers so I can build a computer myself, but even then Im really worried Ill end up with some components working unstable together...
Iwill is about to release their new DK8N motherboard. That's what we'll be using in our dual Opteron workstations going forward. For processors I'd go with dual 248's or 250's and 2GB of DDR400 memory. As for graphics cards, we've had good luck with nvidia (very solid drivers for Opteron). Best bang for the buck right now is the FX1100. If you've got the budget, you'll love the FX3000.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.

Ed

novadude
08-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Will you be shipping any with the IWILL DK8E? (it is the PCIe version of the DK8N)

Wurp: What you pay the "extra" money to BOXX for, is their support and knowledge (especially if it is a problem related to any CG programs. Dell will never be able to help you with that) You may not think you'll ever need it, but if you ever do you will be very glad you have it.

Joel Hooks
08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Plus the BOXX runs like a champ with stress tested hardware. Makes the excellent support insurance that you likely won't need. It is very nice to know it is there though.

I love my BOXX here at the office, I wish I had the sheckles to get one running at home. My wife already gets miffed at the yearly upgrades with my homegrown system, so I don't even want to ask! ;)

Proximus
08-06-2004, 09:04 PM
I side with Novadude here, are there any plans for PCIe on BOXX opteron systems?
Did you test it, are there issues with stability?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first AMD dual Opteron platform with PCI Express
After IWILL DK8N, based on NVIDIA nForce3 Pro 250 chipset, has become the best AMD’s dual Opteron workstation, IWILL has worked more closely with NVIDIA in develop the next generation workstation platform. This board is based on NVIDIA’s the next generation chipset, that supports 1GHz HyperTransport for faster data transfer between CPU and memories, and the most important of all, PCIe x16 graphic cards. It also supports dual Opteron processors, 16GB of DDR400 memory modules, PCIe x16 graphic cards, and PCI-X 133 slots. It is first released on Computex by IWILL, NVIDIA, and AMD. This workstation platform is the world’s first dual Opteron with PCIe interface and is based on NVIDIA chipset. Together, IWILL and NVIDIA have again delivered the most powerful AMD Opteron workstation solution.
IWILL DK8E Workstation Platform
- Next generation nForce3 chipset
- Support Dual AMD Opteron
- Support 16GB DDR400 (4+4)
- Support PCIe x16 graphics card
- Support PCIe x4 expansion card
- Support PCI-X 64/133
- Support PCI-X 64/100
- Support 4 SATA ports
- Support USB2.0 and IEEE-1394
- Support 6CH Audio with S/PDIF

evo_supra
08-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Ed Caracappa: Im also interested in getting a Boxx workstation, but ill be using it for 3dsmax and Photoshop mostly throughout Uni. What do you recommend? Because im a student, my budget has limits. I would like to keep costs to a minimum, therefore i was wondering if its possible to switch the GPU from the Dual processor systems with a nVidia 6800 instead (if possible a PCI Expess version) ? Main reason is because id have to balance my budget out if i were to go for Dual CPU's. I dont mind the 6800 since ive read its still pretty capable, and id like to have the raw rendering power of the 2x CPU's.

Oh and also im from the UK, so im not sure if the prices will be much higher or anything.

tevans
08-07-2004, 01:37 AM
I am looking at a system similar to what you have described here except that it is 246. I would rather not spend the $500+ to upgrade to the 248 but I would like to know just how much better the one is than the other. Also is the new motherboard available for the 246? When will they be shipping that?
Thanks
T

Proximus
08-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, I guess ED is already on his way to Siggraph, I dont think we gonna see him here until next week.

I think I have to look for him at the booth for an answer :)

Ed Caracappa
08-07-2004, 01:58 PM
novadude,

We won't get our hands on the first DK8E until September. Validation will take us a couple of weeks so you should see the first Opteron/PCI-E systems shipping by the end of Sept. Believe me...I can't wait!!

Ed

Ed Caracappa
08-07-2004, 02:03 PM
evo_supra,

I'd have to better understand your budget constraints but, let me say that I have plenty of max customers running on single processor machines. Max is a multi-threaded application so you will get better performance with two procs but, if your funds are limited I'd go for a higher end single processor machine with a better graphics card. If you can wait till september, you'll be able to get a single processor intel based machine with PCI-E. Honestly, I'd throw money at an FX1300 from nvidia and make sure you get 2gb of memory.

I'm going to be checking emails while in LA ed@boxxtech.com Not sure how often I'll get to visit cgtalk while I'm there. Feel free to email me and I'll help you any way I can....

We have a couple of resellers in the UK. Reality and ERA...both great companies. You can find their contact info on our site. Mention my name if you call them.

Ed

Ed Caracappa
08-07-2004, 02:09 PM
tevans,

The 246s are fine. When the 248s came out they enabled the use of DDR400 memory which offered some improved performance. The 246s are a great price for performance processor right now so I'd say stick with them for the sake of your budget and you'll be happy.

The DK8N is in validation right now and should wrap up next week. If you're looking to place an order quickly and want to make sure you get this board give me a call. I'll verify the timing for you. Keep in mind I'm in LA till next Friday so I might be a little slow getting back to you.

Ed

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.