PDA

View Full Version : Character: Female Head

scouse
08-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I don't think I've ever posted here before, but I've read the rules and I think I'm alright to post here. I've been recomended by a friend to post here as even though my work may be constructively torn apart, in the long run it will hopefully result in a better looking model... which is what I really want.

I started this model in XSI of a females head last friday and whilst its probably one of my better efforts at modelling a head I'm still really unhappy with it. She is meant to be an attractive young woman, but I just don't think she looks right (and I can't work out why). I was trying to get a semi realistic/stylised appearance. She won't be animated, but at a later date I do plan to texture her and add hair.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice/suggestions/tips anyone can give. I'm willing to swallow my pride in an effort to improve my model.

http://www.siesta-media.co.uk/images/renders/model_v007.jpg

Thanks in advance

Phil

Ilikesoup
08-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Welcome to CGTalk!
Here's a few features that could use tweaking:

She needs ears. ;)
Her head is much too big, specifically, there's too much rise to the skull and the point where her neck meets the back of her skull should be higher -- there's too much mass back there.
She needs more of a ridge at her brow and her forehead should be more vertical.

Are you working from a reference?

TORMENTOR
08-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Lol! :bounce:

looks bit plastic imho

powernemo
08-09-2004, 03:24 AM
the head have a strange shape.
Is she from alien race?

Stardave
08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
hey

some nice features but you shoud get a basic ref for head form (its more curved, especialy the forehead.
try to make the eyebrow section more round and the nose is a bit flat

and imo the mouth looks kinda "glued on", it shoud intigrate into the flesh on the side (where the wrinkles are)

i like the eyes though

stardave

Johnny_Cannuck
08-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Perhaps you could post the image you used for reference, as in most cases the model will only be a good as the REF it's based on.

:beer:

webhead
08-11-2004, 04:16 PM
The most obvious problem is that her jawbone is way too far back on the head which is also too tall and egg-shaped. Where the jawbone connects is much too high as well. The jawbone would not connect above the eyes as it seems to be here. You need to get some photo reference to work from. I hope that helps. Keep pluggin.' :buttrock:

scouse
08-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone who has suggested things so far. As for my original reference it was of a woman who I know (who doesn't want her picture posting on the web), but she wasn't as good looking as the model needs to be anyway(no offence to her).

So I used that for the basic shape originally, but it still looked wrong. So I've been getting any photos I can to study eyes, noses, etc. Also I've been looking at other peoples 3D work to try and get an idea of how it all fits together.

Anyway, since I posted I've been playing around with pretty much everything on her face to try and get the proportions a little more realistic and less alien like, but I still think she looks weird... I'm starting to wish I'd never begun this and modelled something easier... like a cube!!

I still think the shape of the head is a little off and something is wrong with her eyes, I'm just not sure what. (Too big, too close/far apart, to far forward/back?). Also she still looks a little bit strange in profile. So i guess I'll keep playing around with her for a while, see if I can improve it.
http://www.siesta-media.co.uk/images/renders/model_v008.jpg

Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far. Please keep it coming as it is really helping me.

Thanks

Phil

danielphillis
08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
a good place for some free refrence material...

http://www.3d.sk/

if you havnt got the little bit of cash - grab the free stuff !

some of my shtuff:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/dpmedia/cv/3DModeling/

scouse
08-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Cheers for the reply,

The more reference material the better.

Anyway, here's another update. I've played around with the proportions and the general shape of the face to try and improve it. (Also I started messing around with a texture to see what it would look like). I personally think she is looking a lot better, but would still like to improve her as much as I can.

I think her eyes still need a bit of work, but not sure what to do to them. Also if anyone has got any other suggestions on how to improve her I would really appreciate it.

http://www.siesta-media.co.uk/images/renders/model_v009.jpg

Cheers

Phil

fried
08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
The neck is a bit thin, it sorta looks like a caricutare's proportions.

Tim-Gibson
08-20-2004, 12:04 AM
in profile the out 'bump' on the forehead is a bit extreme. looks a bit bulbous.

Also the cheeks are a bit funny, and in the side profile it could follow the smile crease lines a bit better.

The neck joining to the jaw under the chin is a bit strong, could be softened by bringing the neck line forward or the flesh under the jaw bone brought down some more.

Lips are looking nice.
Outie.

hpslashluvr
08-24-2004, 07:27 AM
make the neck thicker from the profile view and slightly from the front view

looks like angelina jolie

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.