PDA

View Full Version : Chain Mail

studiomiguel
02-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,
any suggestions for modeling chain-mail like found on medieval armour? Tutorials would be great......
??
Miguel

Rabid pitbull
02-02-2002, 07:11 PM
That does sound like a pretty tough idea, but I too would like to know the pro method.

Chewey.... you must have a hint for us beginers.:)

I think the simplest way is using maps, but probably not too realistic.

studiomiguel
02-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I've pursued both methods.
Maps: easy, fast, animatible......closeups don't look so hot.
Geometry: Looks Great! I mean wow.. the detail factor is super..... don't know how to begin to animate it (I suppose I could bone it, but I'm not very good with bones) and the geometry is tremendously complex, the simplest sheet i came up with was 8500 polys (subd'd) for the covering for one thigh.

The high poly boned method may be the best way to go... I just want some other imput from you guys.......

Here is the character I need the mail for:

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-568.jpg

As you can see he is wearing it down each thigh.

Mike RB
02-02-2002, 10:44 PM
ok, heres how you animate anything complex like this:

make the complex super mesh. chain mail, spiraly phone cord... whatever. Then make a simple version version that fits into the same space with decent but not insane mesh resolution. For the phone cord it would be a cylender that is the same diameter with quite a few segments, but no modeled spiralys.

The chain mail would be a sheet (similar to the one you'de use for the texture method). Then you go ahead and animate the simple version using whatever method you want, bones, motion designer, sockmonkey, whatever. Once your satisfied with the motion you run md scan on the object and save off a motion file for the placeholder. Then unhide your hirez modeled chainmail and apply the .mdd file from the low rez one to the high rez one using md plug (or meta plug if its a sub patch object)

Mike RB
02-03-2002, 12:03 AM
a quick test using md-meta plug

http://www.3dluvr.com/blackbourn/wip/chainmail.avi
divx 600k

looks more like rubber, but you get the idea.

Mike

Chewey
02-03-2002, 01:33 AM
I'm pretty good at avoiding these types of geometry intense deals. My machine is slow and old and it chokes, coughs and threatens to play dead when I just think about geometry intensive work.

I like Mike's solution, that video is pretty cool!

Rabid pitbull
02-03-2002, 03:07 AM
Sounds like a great way... i think i saw a tutorial some where for animating ik with that technique.

Thanks for the tips.

As far as modeling the chain mail, any tips. Is there a way to duplicate a link, or say 3 or 4 and make them line up. point clone plus or what?

And yes this type of modeling will not only choke, but possibly kill my Mac... time for a pc soon.

Mike RB
02-03-2002, 11:37 PM
I used motion designer to animate my place holder mesh, I could have used bones or morphs or whatever, i just happended to use MD.

Then I used MD-scan to save a Motion Designer file for the low rez mesh. I loaded up my super hirez chainmail mesh and applied the low rez MDD file to it using MD-meta-plug. Done.

http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/chain_1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/chain_2.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/paratrooper/chain_3.jpg

Mike.

studiomiguel
02-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Wow Mike.... beautiful stuff. I'm attempting the process now. MD is taking a little effort to figure out though. I totally stoked about the methodology however...... I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

studiomiguel
02-05-2002, 10:12 AM
Supah' Supah'!!!!!
It's coming along..... I've yet to master MD, but I have managed to bone a decent set of mail....
Check it out.

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-580.jpg

Yes, I am feeling the stress level lessen.

Mike RB
02-05-2002, 07:25 PM
Looking good.

you dont really need to get a grasp of MD to use the meta-plug plugin though. Its just a simple motion flie save, and then a load of that file while pointing to the original cage object.

Motion Designer is cool though. I've used it quite a bit.

Mike

Chewey
02-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Looks like you're getting there. Good job.

Sure looks like a whole lot of polys though. What is the poly count for the chain mail you posted?

studiomiguel
02-06-2002, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the tips and the kudos guys... yes I am very happywith my results so far, and Your right about MD Mike, I think I am suffering from techno-anxiety when I approach new methods of doing things.

http://the3d.ws/artists/studiomiguel/chain.jpg

This is one link of the mail.... the poly model and the subpatched version. This is absolutley the fewest poly count I could develop.

One sheetof this stuff is about 18,000 polys, sub-d'd of course.

I'll be posting the character posed and all here in teh next few days....I hope!

Julez4001
06-27-2002, 03:33 PM
man, Great techique MB..I used to bring Messiah stuff on non-messiah clients but never like the way you used it drive uneven low poly to high poly.

Mike RB
07-05-2002, 02:54 PM
bump, cool thread and a technique a lot of people may not know.

Julez4001
07-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Okay. I tried it with a bone character and the point deformation (turned the mesh to garbage) is seriously off but i can tell where the bones are animating. How close do the proxie have to be to the high mesh in terms of polys and points.

Mike RB
07-05-2002, 08:33 PM
did you use the meta version?

Julez4001
07-06-2002, 01:38 AM
yep. It really goes to hell if you use the normal plugin.

Mike RB
07-06-2002, 02:47 AM
try upping the rez on the low rez one a bit, i get pretty good results here....

Mike

Julez4001
12-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Upping the ante

leigh
12-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks Julez :D

mav3rick
12-09-2002, 09:44 AM
well i tested latest FX MD it has new feature called hard link softlink what it does is.... create simple spline on size of your chains and just convert to poly like for sasq guides.... ok than go to layout and apply FX MD to that spline until you are satisfy how it works and plays around ok ... simple now parent object that need to be deformed by that spline(polyspline) and finally add that softlink to that object you will see how it goes around........ that's it:) it calculate BLAZING fast...
njoy wish to be able to order fx md soon as possyble

Julez4001
12-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Really. Man thats sounds wild.
Is there a final date to this software.

mav3rick
12-21-2002, 10:15 PM
far i know not for now.. and i check every week ... heh.. those japanees always comes first....
sometime i wish i am just born there but hell .........

Julez4001
07-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Bounce

This is just a reminder

Julez4001
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Always Use The Search Feature Of The Forum Folks....

Hansybear
09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
How do you model this, did you just use textures, alpha, color, and so on?

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.