PDA

View Full Version : CGI Popeye trailer online

RobertoOrtiz
08-06-2004, 12:25 PM
>>Link<< (http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/594)
-R

percydaman
08-06-2004, 01:01 PM
looking at the poster, you would think Bluto and Popeye were the bestest of buddies....not how I remember it growing up... :shrug:

slaughters
08-06-2004, 01:25 PM
The animation looks really really really simple (translate that to amaturish)

Also, what's going on with the story? They have Bluto obeying Pop-Eye's orders like he is a bootlicking employee!

This looks like a direct to DVD targeted at the very young (3-5yr) audience. Too bad. The old B&W Pop-Eye cartoons were pretty dang funny and full of Pop-Eyes sarcastic mutterings to himself.

macqdor
08-06-2004, 02:15 PM
The CGI looks grayish as if done on the cheap. Popeye's tattoo anchors werent even noticable. A kid movie at best. At best ?

darktding
08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
HAHAHAAHAHAH!
god I need my spinach now.
so bad so bad so bad...

rstratton
08-06-2004, 03:15 PM
that is kinda messed up how they have popeye and bluto being friends, nothing like the old cartoons where they were always fighting over olive oyl.......I'll admit its not anything from pixar but there are parts in the trailer that doesn't look that bad.....but it does look like it was on a quick timeline and short budget, which it probably was since its strait to video...

m81
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
some scenes remind me as if it was viewport shading or ingame graphics

FloydBishop
08-06-2004, 05:06 PM
"Popeye is back in an all new adventure, and better than ever in his first CGI movie."

I would disagree with that second part. This is NOT better than the old Fleischer cartoons.

The bastardization of classic entertainment properties is NOT what CG is about.

Oh, and Bluto is a friggin wuss now, according to that trailer.

Rabid pitbull
08-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :sad:

xzevlin
08-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh, and Bluto is a friggin wuss now, according to that trailer.
Perhaps there's a twist at the end that reveals that Bluto was just playing the part of first mate in order to lure Popeye to his doom at the hands of the Seahag. If I were Bluto, that's what I would do.

Modeling is nice, some of the animation looks pretty good too.

Game-boi
08-06-2004, 06:11 PM
I'll agree with idigm, that this doesn't look like the highest quality thing out there, but it doesn't look all that bad. Maybe because I wasn't a hardcore fan of Popeye to begin with, I don't mind that Bluto and Popeye are friends. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I mean, it's been how many years and they would still be arguing?

The models aren't bad. If I were to imagine what Popeye would look like in 3d, this would most likely be it. I think the lighting and textures are really suffering here. Things look flat and a little boring.

Again, lets keep in mind that it's a obviously a budget title here. I bet they didn't have a whole lot of time. But it looks so-so. So I'll leave it at that.

-Chris

Kion
08-06-2004, 06:13 PM
they killed it! they killed it" damn you Paul Reiser! Bluto is a wus?! Popeye and Bluto are pals? Bluto is scared? arrrgh

animation looks cool

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=137524&page=2&pp=20&highlight=popeye

AlbertArt
08-06-2004, 06:24 PM
*VOMITS SPINACH* I don't give a damn about Paul Reiser, Jim Hardison, or the original music from that one guy. i could care less. Its so sad to see a classic ripped up and reconstructed into something its not suppose to be(not forgetting Garfield). I guess its a good thing its going straight to video. This movie was made by Sea Hags! I can't wait for Samurai Jack 3D!

creative destructions
08-06-2004, 07:14 PM
One has to wonder about the MMF action going on.

t-toe
08-06-2004, 09:09 PM
although sometimes a simplistic modeling/texturing style can be cool, here it just ends up looking like it was designed to run on a GameCube or something.

I wasn't too big a fan of the original Popeye stuff, but at least that stuff was revolutionary for it's time. this, I'd say, is more of the same.

what's with everyone taking characters that already work well in 2d and trying to give them z-depth these days? can't they come up with their own characters? ones designed for 3d?

Supervlieg
08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
------yuk-------

lestdog
08-06-2004, 09:24 PM
what's with everyone taking characters that already work well in 2d and trying to give them z-depth these days? can't they come up with their own characters? ones designed for 3d?Easy, they idea is to capitolize on property that has already been successful right? Parents see thier long loved popeye in the store and picks it up for thier kid, not even thinking twice about it. Try and invent and new hero and story and see if you get that kind of response. At the end of the day no matter how kick ass the art is or is not, its all about money for the suits.

ngrava
08-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Wow! Jim Hadison?! I used to work with him at Vinton's. He's a really great guy. I wonder how much of the script was a collaborative process?

-=GB=-

CHRiTTeR
08-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I thought it was a game at first. And even for a game the graphics look bad!

Lil_Mick
08-06-2004, 11:22 PM
it's just not the same.

~J

lanedaughtry
08-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Has anyone paid attention to the straight to video crap they are churning out these days??? Its the 2D equivalent of this, some 3D. Its only a matter of time before its primarily 3D.

-L

Kwe
08-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Wow, that sucked. My god...when they first shots came up I thought these were CGI cutscenes done for the PSX. Final Fantasy 8 had better CG than this crap. The cinematography is just plain horrid.

What a way to kill Popeye.

MikeRhone
08-07-2004, 02:15 AM
I want my buffered 2 minutes and 11 seconds back.

No offense to the animators and crew that worked on this CG show, but why do producers and other big-wigs want to assasinate all the classics?

*Sniffs his original Mr. T air freshener*

The 80's... when everything lame was cool.

Kricket
08-07-2004, 02:39 AM
There were quite a few classic Popeye cartoons where Popeye and Bluto were best buds, then Bluto turns bad either due to greed or lust. Maybe that will happen here.

Anyh00, I need to go find a copy of Popeye vs Sinbad to cleanse myself.

FloydBishop
08-07-2004, 04:43 AM
This should help out after watching that CG trailer:

http://www.kickassmonthly.com/assets/pages/popeye.htm

There are some real player files at the bottom of the page... well worth the download.

Popeye of 1936 could beat the snot out of Popeye 2004.

slaughters
08-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Nice Link ! If you read the page you find out the popeye was originally done in 3D. Well a 2d sprite on a 3D background at least, using the "stereoptical process" developed by Max and Dave Fleischer

"Their super-rad inventions such as the rotoscope and the stereoptical process (http://www.kickassmonthly.com/assets/pages/stereoptical.htm) gave the illusion of realistic three-dimensional space and movement in their cartoons."

http://www.kickassmonthly.com/assets/pages/stereoptical.htm

lestdog
08-07-2004, 01:47 PM
if you watch that last movie, you can see that 3D effect. THats so awesome!

kraal
08-08-2004, 02:04 PM
i agree that the movie looks like crap but i bet you the kidddies wont care..... and on a side note the original popeye and bluto were best friends they would ride to work together and hang out ect.... the just would fight over stupid things and bluto was just more competitive .... just like popeye could split logs with his bare hands before eatting spinach......

unclebob
08-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Paul Reiser ... is he the sleeze-bag dude from Aliens ?

the CG looked fair, not the worst that has come out lately, but far from the best. I too thought Bluto and Pop were "friends", not best buds, but just "friends" and they'd fight over Olive.

slaughters
08-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Watch some of the old B&W films that Floyd's link is pointing to.

Bluto and Pop Eye are competitors, frequently out right enimies. Bluto is almost allways trying to (a) steal from (b) kidnap, or (c) force unwanted sexual advances upon Olive Oil and Pop Eye has to come to the rescue.

Nicodemus
08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I am waiting to see Bluto turn on him. As has been said......on many occasions Popeye and Bluto were friends, even roomates, then by the end of the cartoon he had truned on Popeye or tried to screw him over at least. Being direct to video this is about what I would expect in terms of the look of it. I will wait and see when it comes out before passign judgement.

~L~

danimat0r
08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Written by "Damn you Burke, open this door!" Reiser!.. and involving a bunch of other people whose names are supposed to impress, but don't. As to the trailer, it looks pretty average. I've seen some other footage that looked quite nice though; so the jury's out on this one till it comes out. The animation looks like slightly above average Mainframe fare, but I don't think the visual style is particularly dynamic.

FloydBishop
08-08-2004, 10:22 PM
i agree that the movie looks like crap but i bet you the kidddies wont care.....

My kid cares, and can tell the difference. He's four, but he's got a pretty keen animation sense.

I think a lot of people are confusing the classic Popeye stuff with the sixties and eighties versions of Popeye. Those were total crap as well. Remember Olive in the Army? What the heck was that all about? Kind of like an animated "Private Benjamin". Yuk!

Kion
08-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Nice Link ! If you read the page you find out the popeye was originally done in 3D. Well a 2d sprite on a 3D background at least, using the "stereoptical process" developed by Max and Dave Fleischer I think it was used in a seires of shorts called "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sinbad the Sailor" it was just a 2d image that overlayed a minture set.

Gentle Fury
08-09-2004, 05:40 PM
is that for real??????

I've seen student demo reels that looked better..........I've played video games that looked better.....ugggh, sad day indeed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.