PDA

View Full Version : Hair/Fur Problem - UV Size Restrictions

paraplex
08-06-2004, 12:04 AM
hi there,
I'm working on a Poly Character, which is split into four UV regions (ie it has four separate texture maps for the face/body/arms/legs)

This is working out fine, but when it comes time to paint Hair or Fur, the Hair/Fur is only being created on the main UV region... which in this case leads to a very hairy body and no hair reaching past the neck, arms or legs....
As i drag the UV shell out of the main region to test this, it slides around and disappears.

Is there any way to circumvent this shortcoming?
its probably a new problem for maya 6, but I believe it was also a problem with fur in maya 5 (but i can't be sure)

can i shrink all my UV shells down into the main UV box and maintain the image resolutions? or control the hair with a black and white image which is mapped onto a hidden layer on each section's UV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Lachlan

paraplex
08-07-2004, 01:23 AM
incase anyone else encounters this....
the problem was the UV sets... i had my textures all layed out in one UV set, which extended beyond the main UV square, and into the others.... if you copy (probably move..i'm not up to speed on UV sets) any of your excess shells into a second,third etc UV set, and change to the UV set you want to paint your hair onto, it works fine...

ie... swap to your head UV set, apply your hair/fur, swap to your body UV set, etc...

this doesn't affect your original main UV set or texturing... ( i should really learn UV sets a bit more, but this is a clunky solution)

i've noticed some people having similar problems, so i hope this helps someone

cheers
lachlan

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.