PDA

View Full Version : Blender 2.34 Released

gabio
08-05-2004, 08:31 PM
After a 2.5 month development period there's a new installment in the 2.3x series.
Particles (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Particle_interaction.349.0.html) are now more versatile, and a LSCM unwrap (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/UV_Unwrapping.363.0.html) implementation will help tremendously with UV-mapping. YafRay (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Yafray_plug-in.377.0.html) is now accessible as a plugin, providing interactive updates of the render in the render window.

See the download page (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender.31.0.html) for the new release.
(I encourage you to try the torrent file)
http://www.blender3d.org/_gfx/homepage/newsitempic_234.jpg

JA-forreal
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Oh yeah. Bring it on. I'm gonna have some fun now.

Pumuckle
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
time to ask a newbie question.

but what is blender?

JA-forreal
08-05-2004, 08:45 PM
time to ask a newbie question.

but what is blender?It's 3d software in a class of it's own. And it's built and operated by people like us and it's made for us to use as we see fit. Check it out.

Have fun!

JA-forreal
08-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Note for folks with DSL and Cable connections who use the torrent download option, don't shut down your torrent software. Also, keep the Blender program installer in the download directory so you can share the download with others.

Have fun!

paintbox
08-05-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm very interested in that unwrapper, going to check the new version out tomorrow !

sigge
08-05-2004, 09:16 PM
its been ages since I've tried Blender.. think I'm going to give it another go now =)

Apollux
08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm very interested in that unwrapper, going to check the new version out tomorrow !
If I were you I would try it today... tomorrow might be too late !! (slashdot invaders might have taken the server down by tomorrow).

Boone
08-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Re: JA_Forreal.

I haven't got much time to look into a new piece of software as I'm now starting production on my short film, but does the new Blender do the following...

1) IK handles, constrants, skinning etc - in otherwords, good character/facial rigging?

2) How does it handle texture mapping? Can you split a model up into "shells"? UV Un-wrapping etc?

3) Say I wanted to model a...a cat - would I be able to do basic fur-effects for it? What about surface-baking?

4) Does it come with its own MEL-style scripting language? :cool:

Strategoi
08-05-2004, 10:36 PM
1.) yes blender does have IK constraints, skinning (manually the automated system isnt that good)

2.)Uv mapping is in it yes, not sure by what you mean with 'shells' but with the new system of uv unwrapping it works very well.

3.)For hair a script called Fiberscript is used but another one is in the making called beast... I suppose you could animate these but their really isn't a physic system for wind or anything like that. Also apparently particals can be used to creat good looking realistic fur (see here http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Misc_improvements.355.0.html)

4.) MEL style scripting language? i'm not really sure what that is but python is used in creation of scripts and it works extremley well combinded with Blender. New scripts are constantly being added to the already hundereds of them.

thedaemon
08-05-2004, 10:40 PM

I haven't got much time to look into a new piece of software as I'm now starting production on my short film, but does the new Blender do the following...

1) IK handles, constrants, skinning etc - in otherwords, good character/facial rigging?

2) How does it handle texture mapping? Can you split a model up into "shells"? UV Un-wrapping etc?

3) Say I wanted to model a...a cat - would I be able to do basic fur-effects for it? What about surface-baking?

I am no blender expert, but here.

1) Yep
2) Dunno
3) yep, with static particles. Surface baking, dunno.
4) Python!

Boone
08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Re: theDaemon.

Okay, I made the download...it sounds worth having another 'butchers at it! :thumbsup:

Strategoi
08-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Ok just a little upgrade of thedaemons response...

1.)Yes blender has IK constraints manual and automatic skinning.

2.)Blender has uv unwrapping, and apparently the new system is awsome(havn't had time to work with it yet)

3.)Mainly two scripts are used for hair one called 'fiberscript' and the other is 'beast' (not ready yet) they work extremley well for creating realistic hair. Also the particle system works great too (see here http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Misc_improvements.355.0.html)

4.)Python is used to create scripts in blender and is extremley compatible new plugins are constantly being wrote its almost daily where another great script is written.

Apollux
08-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Answers:

1.- Yes, and they are quite good.
2.- Yes, those are precisely new features for 2.34, see the release notes.
3.- Yes, again a new feature. There is a basic fur demo video on the release notes as well.
4.- Yes, and I would dare to say that Python, as a scripting language on it's own, is more powerfull (not to mention incredibly more popular in the "real world"). On the inside, most Blender features are python-wireable... they are even preparing an interactive Blender demo, and it will be 100% python powered.

BgDM
08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, I am as happy as a little girl!!!

I'll say it here too. Thanks to broken for using my LSCM unwrap and test image in the LSCM online docs! Too cool. I'm famous now. :D

BgDM

brkn
08-05-2004, 11:40 PM
There's even more great new stuff than what gabio initially mentioned, here is the full list of additions and changes (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_2_34.319.0.html). Extra new additions include:
Weighted edge creases for subdivision surfaces
Interactive 3d (game) engine can export standalone .exe, .app, and linux executables again
Anti-aliasing (oversampling) improvements
Improved 'static particles' for faking fur, new texture blending modes, and rendering detail improvements
A new colour picker
New effects in the built in video sequence editor, including a flexible wipe transition
Plenty of interface improvements
Stacks of bug fixes and tweaks

Everyone involved, from the coders, to the testers, doc writers, demo producers all deserve a beer for this one, it's one hell of a release.

creative destructions
08-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Import is buggered. Anyone else having problems with .obj import?

JA-forreal
08-06-2004, 12:54 AM

You will want to go here ( http://www.elysiun.com ) to get answers to all of your Blender questions. I would love to give you a rundown on this stuff in more detail but you can search the elysiun forums for help and even post your questions in the animation, Blender General and python forums for everything that you want to know. There is some real neat character animation features in the making that will pop up in a later Blender builds. Hey there is some stuff that will pop up that may really surprise you. You have to stay tuned to the Blender network of forums to get in on all of the projects and previews.

Have fun!

Apollux
08-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Import is buggered. Anyone else having problems with .obj import?

File importing, most of the time, calls for a full install of Python 2.3.x
.OBJ and .Wings import are among those times.

brkn
08-06-2004, 01:21 AM
File importing, most of the time, calls for a full install of Python 2.3.x
.OBJ and .Wings import are among those times.

This is not correct - the OBJ importer included in the Blender package is new, and does not require a Python installation.

Apollux
08-06-2004, 01:36 AM
This is not correct - the OBJ importer included in the Blender package is new, and does not require a Python installation.

My bad :banghead:

JA-forreal
08-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Import is buggered. Anyone else having problems with .obj import?I got worried so I tried this out for myself. I can not function in my 3d work without OBJ importing and exporting.

I was able to import the OBJ files from Proton's CGtalk model packs. I haven't tried all of them. I tried some other LWO files but these just imported as vertexes. This may mean that they are not welded, etc.

Some other OBJ file would not work. But the ones that I made in Wings and exported from Blender work great.

I commenced to dropping some AO on Protons fine Models that is (Ambient Occlusion) and I was like I'm ..

"Slingin' AO, Slingin' AO... Ah...dah dah dah dah dah dah .... yeah". Hehehehe.

Have fun folks!

creative destructions
08-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Guess I'm buggered.

BgDM
08-06-2004, 02:01 AM
mycodesoft: Are you getting an error message in the console window? If so, post it in the bug tracker at www.blender.org (http://www.blender.org) or post a thread there with the specifics ans someone will get on top of it and get it working.

Don't give up on it. Beleive me, Blender is worth it! :thumbsup:

BgDM

thedaemon
08-06-2004, 02:13 AM
I am also getting error's trying to import a wings file. :scream:

JA-forreal
08-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Guess I'm buggered.
I'm using Windows. What is your OS?

kid tripod
08-06-2004, 10:17 AM
This is good news!

I'm most excited about the bug fixes in the sampling code though . . . .

but I'm odd like that.

Bertha Big
08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Good news ! :bounce:
I like the YafRay integration ! Thanks to everyone involved ! :thumbsup: And now back to work ! We have to take over the world and enslave all humanity ..... hehehe :eek:

antero
08-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Blender now has a feature superior to all other packages ... UV texture coordinate calculation using LSCM. I think houdini has it tho

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/UV_Unwrapping.363.0.html

paintbox
08-06-2004, 02:15 PM
I tried 2.34 just now and I must say this is the first version that is solid on my comp. Menu's are responsive and Yafray rendering is as simple as a click of a button. Great stuff :)

JamesMK
08-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Blender now has a feature superior to all other packages ... UV texture coordinate calculation using LSCM. I think houdini has it tho
I guess the AutoUV in Wings is pretty much the same thing as well - not that this makes it any less cool of course!

BgDM
08-06-2004, 06:07 PM
JamesMK: Yeah, it is basically the same thing. Woek great BTW. You should give it a whirl and get your Blender juices flowing again mate!

BgDM

JamesMK
08-06-2004, 07:46 PM
You should give it a whirl and get your Blender juices flowing again mate!
Will do - I do check out the new releases every once in a while :thumbsup:

creative destructions
08-11-2004, 06:35 AM
mycodesoft: Are you getting an error message in the console window? If so, post it in the bug tracker at www.blender.org (http://www.blender.org/) or post a thread there with the specifics ans someone will get on top of it and get it working.

Don't give up on it. Beleive me, Blender is worth it! :thumbsup:

BgDM
What's happening is when I import my model only parts of the model gets imported. I got a foot and some loose vertices instead of the whole model. :shrug: All the faces seem to have gone missing or could not be reconstructed during the import process. No error messages or anything similar.

Thanks for the help though.

brkn
08-11-2004, 07:04 AM
What's happening is when I import my model only parts of the model gets imported. I got a foot and some loose vertices instead of the whole model. :shrug: All the faces seem to have gone missing or could not be reconstructed during the import process. No error messages or anything similar.

Maybe try asking ideasman: http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1493831&postcount=17

He co-wrote the OBJ importer and may be able to help if it's a problem in the code.

dazzling
08-11-2004, 10:23 AM
creative destructions: i tried blender and imported a model, but i had to scale it way down cause i also saw only part of it. It seems that the model is so big that it somehow gets out of the workspace somehow, that's why you only see parts. So try to select everything, shortcut was a i believe and than scale everything down, maybe that will help

fxgogo
08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
In some ways I wish I had not bought my C4D app a few years ago and stayed with Blender. I think it is going to become a real powerhouse app that is used extensively in the industry. I will still give blender a go even though I have invested in a commercial app.

Apollux
08-11-2004, 04:40 PM
creative destructions: i tried blender and imported a model, but i had to scale it way down cause i also saw only part of it. It seems that the model is so big that it somehow gets out of the workspace somehow, that's why you only see parts. So try to select everything, shortcut was a i believe and than scale everything down, maybe that will help That happens to me a lot!!!

One of the older OBJ scripts had an option for how to handle the scale conversion into "blender units", but the new scripts all seem to go automatically and make an educated guess on how to scale the model... just that sometimes the guess isn't as educated as it should be. Unfortunately, I believe that those old scripts not longer run on recent Blender versions.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.