PDA

View Full Version : Installing SoftImage|XSI 4.0

ShadowXOR
08-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I just got my copy of SoftImage|XSI 4.0 Academic Edition (the equivalent of 'Advanced' the $9000.00 version, I just can't sell anything I make in it) and wowzers, installing is a HUGE pain! I just want to tell you what I did, and maybe you guys could tell me whether I did it correctly or not.

First I put in the SoftImage|XSI CD and did a local install. Then I installed the Licensing Server and the USB Key software and I got the Dongle key off of it and generated a licensing request through the software. I set the host server to 'localhost'. Just today I recieved my licensing key but I haven't used it yet. If I am correct I have to put the .key in a folder, and then paste the info they sent me back into the Licensing Server to generate a license. Then I should be able to use XSI right? And do I have to start the licensing server everytime I want to use XSI? If so, is there anyway to keep it always on and running in the background? Does it take up any bandwidth/memory or CPU power? Thanks in advance!

Ziah
08-05-2004, 07:01 PM
shadow the licensing servey will start automatically you don't have to

lastly you don't have to copy n paste anything

you save the key file in a location then hit the install button and intall the key file...its all there in the instructions

Ziah
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
it does take up some memory tho...its start automatically wether xsi is running or not

Ablefish
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
I've never installed one of the academic licenses but I'm assuming it's the same. Just save out that .key file somewhere on your drive and then start up lictools (through the start menu). Click on the Install Keys button and point at your .keys file. Done.

The server will run in the background so you shouldn't have to mess with it again. Just fire up XSI.

ShadowXOR
08-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks, I'll try it when I get home. :)

Sure is complicated! :)

bravmm
08-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi,

Not if you read the instructions. It's not that complicated.
1. RT(F)M about installation, the manual is on the CD or for download on the website.
2. install according to the manual.
3. generate license request and email to Softimage
4. save license attachment from returned email
5. reopen license-manager and import saved license
6. start XSI.

That's all there is to it, really.....:D

As the rest already said, the license server (as are the mental ray services) is a windows "service", and is started every time Windows starts. It's also not user related, meaning it's runs for everybody logging in, unless stated otherwise in Windows itself.

With these kind of services I always "tinker" a bit with the default settings. Access the Services panel by RMB your desktop computer icon, selecting "manage" and "Services and Applications".
Find the SPM license server service, open the Properties, and select the "recovery" panel.
In here set all "Failure" options to "restart the service". Set the restart time to 1 minute.

This helps, especially for pc's that are turned off a lot, to keep the service up and running and preventing XSI to die on you due to a non-excisting license server.

Another note, be sure to read ALL license server messages very carefull. If you're pc was turned off for a while, the time in the dongle and the pc are different. Be sure to update this, or your dongle could end up very useless indeed :shrug:

cheers,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.