PDA

View Full Version : Render times in MR too much, plz help =)

-KDX-
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Alrighty, here's the situation. I have an animation I am working on currently and I was working with some test renders today and for me to render 1 frame it toook 6 minutes... and for my 1 minute animation, I would like to not have to set up an 8-9 day render on my poor computer.

I was wondering what are some of the ways I can reduce this render time without sacrficing too much quality. This is all in NTSC resolution with very little reflections and very little motion blur.

-KDX-

-KDX-
08-05-2004, 06:19 PM
oh I forgot to mention I was using final gather and GI. Which of these 2 processes take the most extra processing? I'm assuming it's final gather, but am not sure. I do like the effect I am getting from it however, so if there's a way to keep that in or maybe some lighting trick alternative, plz let me know. Thanks btw I appreciate any and all hel on this.

-KDX-

PHIX
08-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Final Gather takes the longest. If you turn off final gather rebuild in the render globals, you will get your animation rendered much faster as it re-uses the final gather information in the next frame, calculating only what has changed. Only works if your geometry isn't moving but you can still have camera motion. If your first frame is 6 minutes, then you can expect every frame after that to be much less, maybe less than 1 or 2 minutes (scene depending)

Cheers :thumbsup:

-KDX-
08-05-2004, 10:00 PM
wowza ya that's huge. So what if only 1 object in my scene is moving around (the main and only character)??? Will it still re-use alot of the info for the BG objects?

Hey thanks alot I actually got my render time down to around 2:30 now with some other tweaks, so with this as well I can prolly look at only 2-3 days rendering tops, which is good cause I hate to tie up a machine like that.

-KDX-

PHIX
08-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately no, you can't use animated geometry. I didn't realise it was a character you were animating. It works best for static objects such as architecture where only the camera is moving. There was a thread the other week where a guy tried to render a helicopter taking off (looked quite nice too) with Final gather rebuild turned off. The lighting information seemed to melt off the geometry when it moved. Cool effect but not what your after. You could try baking the Final gather lighting onto the model or use Dirtmap or something. All you really need is that secondary Ambient shading so it shouldn't look bad at all when the character is moving around. Maybe render as a separate pass.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Dead
08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
I was wondering about this as well, can mental ray even render out in passes? I know it does layers of some sort but can it do the same passes as when using 'background colour'? rendering in passes in MR would save me a bucket of time as well.

-KDX-
08-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a pretty detailed texture map on my character, so would dirtmap interfere with that?? =P I've never really messed around with it.

I could render in passes or maybe just render out the bg geometry with the camera movement that way I can use the rebuild, then add in my character in post??? That seems like it could work, but I do wonder how I get the shadows from my character to appear correctly...would I use the background shader or what?? hmmm??

Thanks as usual, ^^
-KDX-

-KDX-
08-07-2004, 06:39 AM
I really don't know haha...?? ne1??

-KDX-

-KDX-
08-09-2004, 04:31 PM
=(

-kdx-

alexx
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
yes.. only make the geometry visible, that is able to catch the shadows and assign it a use background shader..

then i would use render passes to have the shadows and the color seperately and comp them later..

have a quick glance in the manuals or in that case i would say it is faster just checking it out with some simple geometry

and yes: definitely render the background seperated from the foreground with the fg pass set to reuse.

cheers

alexx

-KDX-
08-12-2004, 01:04 AM
ty ty for the help! look for a thread by me in WIP with this animation. ^^

-KDX-

-KDX-
08-19-2004, 05:24 AM
ok hey I just got done attempting this process and I must not understand the concept fully. In order to do the re-using of final gather I have to leave out my character, that's not a problem at all however I can't seem to get the layers right. Are there settings on the background shader that I need to set in order for it to JUST have shadows cast upon it?

..gar!! hmm ok lemme try one more thing and I'll come back to this..

edit: ok I tried what I was thinkin of and it didn't work. Maybe someone could just lay out for me exactly what needs to have what shaders and be on what layers, cause common sense isn't working so good for me now.. =(

-KDX-

-KDX-
08-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm making a new thread...plz reply there..

-KDX-

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.