PDA

View Full Version : MentalRay results in Render View

KoPanda
08-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I'm reading the tutorial on Alias website on GI and FG. The results of MentalRay are really good but only when I save the renderings to an image files. The results on the Render View are always with jaggers. Why is that?

This is the first time I use MentalRay. I thought the rendering was not good and change the values and render again. But the result kept looking bad and I saved the image to a file and it become perfect in the image. I don't understand why the rendering result is different from the saved file. They are from the same rendering. Anyway to make the result in the Render View be correct? I'm using a Mac.

Cheers,
Kwun.

zylphyr
08-05-2004, 10:01 AM
If I understand you correctly, and you are talking about viewing images in "Render View" vs. Photoshop (or whatever), I might be because "Render View" uses openGL overlays to display images (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) and your graphic card doesn't support that kind of functionality.

I could also be that your render view is scaled, press the "1:1" button in render view to scale it back.

KoPanda
08-05-2004, 06:01 PM
but my display card is an ATI and of course it supports OpenGL overlay. i'm sure that the scale is 1:1 too.

KoPanda
08-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I've put two pictures here as a comparison.

http://ddm.caad.ed.ac.uk/%7EKYeung/dummies/renderview.png

Rendering in Render View.

http://ddm.caad.ed.ac.uk/%7EKYeung/dummies/savedimage.png

The saved image.

Why is that?

Kwun.

squeige
08-06-2004, 02:31 AM
dude hit 1:1 button

BillSpradlin
08-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Yup, hit your 1:1 button on the render view window.

zylphyr
08-06-2004, 08:29 AM
if you're using an unsuported ATI card (like a Radeon 9700, or other "gaming" cards) that is almost certainly the reason for the "jagged" display.

-z

KoPanda
08-06-2004, 02:31 PM
then no way to solve this problem? i'm using powerbook g4 and the graphic card is ati mobility 9700. i suppose ati cards have full support of opengl and won't give that bad result in maya... sigh...

Kwun.

alexx
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
yes there is..

go to the ati settings in your properties..
there are texture quality settings in there.
put everything that is in there on max and see if the problem goes away. helped for me (that changes as well the strange color bending in hypergraph)

cheers

alexx

KoPanda
08-06-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm using Mac. I don't know where to change those settings. I can only change the color and resolution of under the display catagory.

Kwun.

AshtonWoolley
08-07-2004, 06:36 AM
To those people who said hit the 1:1 button.

If you cant tell he posted of a picture and it has been hit seeing down the bottem it says 1.000 and 1:1 buts it at 1.000 and comparing it to 1.000 to it does at up to 1:1.

Now yes this does happen to me also, i do have a ATI Graphics card also.

But i dont see the big problem if we can just say it to out desktop and view it, i only really use the Render to see how my Textures or Shaders and if they look good i just save as a TIFF, BMP & Jpeg to my desktop and then im finshed ;) Really thats the only reason you use the render to check shaddows textures etc, if you have your Anti - Alias on the hights you can be sure that it is natral to happen!

ASW

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.