PDA

View Full Version : particle as a goal?

anthonymcgrath
08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
I've got a particle cloud thats been emitted from a cylinder. I set the initial state on it and duplicated it. I want to use a duplicate of this particle as a goal for the original but cant get it to work. Is there a certain order at all in doing this?

cheers
ant
newcastle

Ablefish
08-04-2004, 06:13 PM
What effect are you looking for, because this is working for me. Did you go into the goal property page and change the Target to Points?

anthonymcgrath
08-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi AbleFish

what I wanted was for each particle on cloud1 to head toward the particles on cloud2.
with it being a duplicate I wanted each particle on the original to head to the corresponding particle on the duplicate. but instead they simply emit from the original to the duplicate instead of moving the particles that are there already to the duplicate.

hope that makes sense!
cheers
ant

Ablefish
08-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Hmmm... I'm not having much luck with this either. I tried creating a 'static' cloud (sphere emitter, 0 velocity), duping and freezing the dupe, then setting it as a goal. It seems like particles with zero velocity don't respond to forces or goals. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know you're coming from a maya background, anthony and I feel your pain in this regard. I remember it being very easy to create a particle cloud from geometry, for one thing, and to establish the exact kind of goal/softbody behaviour you're looking for. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

anthonymcgrath
08-10-2004, 10:19 AM
I might be being quite picky really too as goals have only just been added to xsi as far as I'm aware so maybe a small update will probably fix it. I sent a post to tek support for it anyway so they'll prob look into it.
I found another method for what I want to do - bit more handywork for it but gives a similar effect anyway - simply used the randomise function but this particle goal to particle goal stuff would be a nice option for more complex stuff down the line :D

cheers Ablefish :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.