PDA

View Full Version : surface deforming a group ..not working

anthonymcgrath
08-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I have a group of polygon grids. The original grid and six instances. I have a bend def on the original and this in turn affects the other instances bending them too. They rest on the ZXplane pointing end to end in the Z axis.

I want to take this group and use a surface deform to wrap them around a nurb cylinder so I grab the group in the explorer, go into my surf deform tool and select the nurb cylinder.

the problem I'm having is that I cant for the life of me seem to get the grids to deform as one object. Its as if they're all being deformed separately. furthermore - they dont even seem to be deforming in the same way - it looks like the original shape is deforming in a different manner.

anyone any ideas?

cheers
ant

anthonymcgrath
08-04-2004, 10:53 AM
this is getting even crazier now.

I used a null and parented my original grid and the instances in to it. I applied the surface deform to the null and it works EXCEPT the original isn't deforming in the same way as the instances. Worse still - if I tag some points, move them (which propagates into the instances fine), then hit undo - the surface deform updates and applies itself to the original in the manner I want it to!! however - as soon as I edit the surf deform sliders it goes back to its original 'unaltered' state!!

anyone any ideas? Heres a couple of pics:

http://www.maad.co.uk/ants_screengrabs/pic01.jpg

then as soon as I tag some points on this original grid, move them then hit undo it does this:

http://www.maad.co.uk/ants_screengrabs/pic02.jpg

ThE_JacO
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
use a shrink wrap set to -along normals-.
surface deform is better suited to different things, what you are trying to do here, wrapping, sort of suggests it that wrapping is the way to go doesn't it? :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.