PDA

View Full Version : Animate a lattice in XSI 3.0

snowctrl
08-04-2004, 08:00 AM
In short, how do you animate a lattice?

I've been looking for a tutorial that doesn't go into vast depth on the animation mixer or lip syncing etc but will just tell me, simply, how I can create a lattice with different shapes at different ends of the timeline, and then insert additional shapes between the two, and so forth.

I'm sure this should be really simple (as it was in Max, etc) but I keep getting hideously stuck.

Currently I have a lattice set up, keyed at the start and end of the timeline, and I've put one or two additonal shapes between them, yet in the animation mixer, when I open the compound animation clip, I have a purple (understood) and a black (not understood) transition, set up in a manner I can't seem to manipulate - despite having done the shape and mixer animation tutorials supplied with XSI.

I am (and will) trawl the manuals but if anyone could give me some help here I would really appreciate it. Stuck with deadline fast looming, etc

jON http://www.xsibase.com/forum/YaBBImages/wink.gif

Ablefish
08-05-2004, 05:57 PM
It's tough to comment on 3.0, but I'm not aware of any special issues with lattices and shape animation.

snowctrl
08-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi thanks for your reply.

I've sorted the problem now by starting the animation again using different shape animation methods - XSI seems to have so many!! I never did figure out what caused that black transition line in the mixer though.

My key frustration really was that, coming across from Max in which I used lattice animation all the time, I expected it to be as simple, not to have to learn the ins and outs of XSI shape animation and the Mixer before I could use it.

I'm sure I'll come to see the benefits though, once I'm over the learning curve.

jON ;)

Ablefish
08-06-2004, 03:49 PM
I guess the main benefit is that once you know how XSI's shape animation workflow runs (and try to get on 4 as soon as you can - it's gotten easier), you can apply it to animating anything from lattices to particle clouds.

Ablefish
08-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Oh, and I think the black transition you're seeing happens when the transition is going in the wrong direction. Ie. You slid the second clip so that it starts before the first.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.