PDA

View Full Version : colouring my incidence shader

anthonymcgrath
08-03-2004, 07:08 PM
I want to get a colour ramp/gradient into my incidence shader. Currently it only shades black to white (if I plug it into the surface of my material node in the rendertree) but I want it to shade black to red then white or possibly use a colour gradient to do this. Is it possible?

cheers

chesterjoe
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
If I get you right Yes you can. Use a gradient but not the nodes/texture/gradient
but the nodes/texture generator/gradient instead it has an input parameter ( wich the texture/gradient has not) you can plug your incidence node in the input of your gradient and plug your gradient in your diffuse, ambient or wherever you need it. you will get coloured gradient drived by the incidence node, if that's what you need.

Hope this helps...

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5605/incidence_gradient.jpg

EDIT: yeah concurrent posting hehe :thumbsup: cheers....

ThE_JacO
08-03-2004, 07:32 PM
use a mixer>gradient node and connect the incidence in the input.
this was discussed only a couple of days ago btw.

edit:
concurrent posting :)

anthonymcgrath
08-04-2004, 09:27 AM
cheers guys. The incidence shader seems much like the sampler info node in maya.

ThE_JacO
08-04-2004, 10:23 AM
yes and no.
sampler info in maya is possibly the most powerful node in maya, very versatile, but it's also a bit overcomplicated at times, and it's always a combinative node.

in XSI those functions are split into several nodes.

you'll find that most of what sampler info does can be reproed by the incidence node (sample angles by a reference external to the object), scalar state node (distances the ray travelled and basically anything that's a scalar value) and finally a vector state node to sample objectdependant values like normals, origin, motion vectors etc.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.