PDA

View Full Version : IGES import

rohand
08-03-2004, 04:30 PM
i have a job on hand in which i will be recieving an IGES file from my client. How good is the XSI support for IGES especially for trimmed nurbs surfaces.

alphatron
08-03-2004, 09:13 PM
In my limited experience with IGES imports, the trim information was never brought over. We ended up converting to polygons before importing into XSI.

snowctrl
08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
I've also had a job recently that involved IGES import - the files were coming from ProEngineer.

We didn't notice any trouble with the IGES importer itself, the problem we had was simply that once in XSI the imported scenes were very very heavy, consisting entirely of Nurbs surfaces (some 5000 of them) many of which needed their Geometry Approximation settings changed.

We found a more efficient way to handle the data was to export from ProEngineer to Rhino (30 day fully working demo downloadable) and get Rhino to export polygonal meshes as .obj files. XSI imported the .obj files much quicker than the .iges, and the resulting polygonal meshes (some 350,000 polys) were much easier on the system and so quicker to manipulate.

jON ;)

rohand
08-04-2004, 06:11 PM
thanks a lot snowctrl, I think i will do the same thing.

murtle
08-06-2004, 09:08 PM
rohand, don't be worried about IGES importing. Two years old IGES files and very new ones even exported for maya iges from Rhinoceros are imported to XSI without any error.

Sorry for my english.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.