PDA

View Full Version : Why do i suck at modeling?

kishan
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello great 3d Ones,

Every time I model something it just aint all that pretty... * insert scary music here *
The model is all messed up and i just isn't a nice thing to see...
(Talking about Poly modeling)
I have been using 3D studio max for 1 and a half year and my models
still suck :S

Is there anyway for me to improve my modeling skills?

TY so much :)

Kishan Krishnasing

kahuna031
08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I'll think´you should do some classic drawing. Here you really focus on the object's outline and the curvature but without the extreme slow work rate that you find in 3d modeling.

Maby you'll feel that you just found another thing to suck on, but just hang in a short while and you'll find that you will improve alot.

I've done the same thing myself a year ago and I really recomend it. Nowdays my new ideas allways reach the sketch book first.

GL!

leigh
08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Just keep practising, and don't try to do things that are too complicated for your current skills, or else you'll just keep disappointing yourself.

:thumbsup:

o Darkone o
08-03-2004, 12:54 PM
When you'r about to model something , try to do a sketch of it first and imagine the construction in your head , that decide the polyflow that suits it best and try to keep the proportions correct . To do this read anatomy books / sites . and keep on practising and you will get there :thumbsup:

operativem
08-03-2004, 03:52 PM
the drawing suggestion is an excellent idea. so much of modeling is just the right "feel" regardless of the tools you use. i've modeled with quite a few packages, and it's never mattered much which package i've used, it's really important to have the eye for it. anyway, keep trying, no one ever got anywhere by giving up. and it took me a lot longer than 1.5 years to achieve proficiency for a wide range of models.

Arsyn
08-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Can you post some pictures of your models. If you can't see the model in your head or put it down on paper, that could be a problem at first.
use all these folks' suggestions. other than that, it could also be your familiarity with the tools.

are you having problems modeling everything? can you model something with blueprints?
It could just be the way you approach modeling.
Maybe the way you plan to build a model is a problem.
Take a breather from modeling and start drawing in perspective!

TekWolf
08-07-2004, 09:41 AM
1. Get a hunk of good old sculpy or some other type of modeling clay.

2. Roll up your sleeves, (if applicable).

3. And model it in real life first.

Besides, how can you understand models in a simulated 3D space if you can't create them in your own space. I guarantee your models will improve by honing some of your traditional skills. As a bonus you can take digital photos of the sculpture and get some real accurate reference for image planes and the like. Which will boost your workflow considerably.

Ingurum
08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Hello great 3d Ones,

Every time I model something it just aint all that pretty... * insert scary music here *
The model is all messed up and i just isn't a nice thing to see...
(Talking about Poly modeling)
I have been using 3D studio max for 1 and a half year and my models
still suck :S

Is there anyway for me to improve my modeling skills?

TY so much :)

Kishan Krishnasing
eh thats weird. the same is going on by me. well some models turned out very well, but thats not usual. i think i know enough modeling techniques and when im thinking about modelling something i can imagine very well how to do it. but when i modelled a a while the model turns to crap

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.