PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Softimage CS. Pt2

yog
08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Softimage's customer service department must be run off their feet at the momment. Not only do they have a new version of XSI just released, which will generate questions from existing users, but due to the HL-EXP and cheeper Foundation versions they must be getting mountains of very basic questions from the shed loads of new no-nothing users like myself.

Despite this, in the last four months I have written them two e-mails, one concerning the rumoured render size restriction on the as yet unreleased Foundation version, and the other about a few feature requests I had. Not only did I get a reply the same day each time, but it wasn't a standard "Thanks for your interest" stock reply, in both cases it was an actual discussion on what I had written :thumbsup:
In receint years I have written similar things to a couple other companies, and in both cases unless the e-mail was about product registration it was like whistling down a black hole at midnight. Even technical support questions mainly went unanswered :sad:

Now I'm not niave enough to think a couple feature request e-mails from me will have any significant effect, but the fact that Softimage treated me so curtiously certainly makes me feal that my purchase of XSI was a good move :thumbsup:

BTW - Thanks to the long term users on this forum for your help and patience with us hoards XSI-newbies over the last few months. We may be anoying, but it is appreciated :D

Eraq
08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
That is really good to hear. Im currently saving up so I can by a license, so it is reassuring that the support is good.

Erik

Kayumni
08-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I agree whole-heartedly.

I have dealt with many companies over the Internet and TWO companies have had EXCELLENT customer service while every other has had HORRIBLE service.

Those two are Softimage and 3Dtutorial.com.

Hats off to those folks.

3dtutorial
08-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi Kayumni,

Thanks very much indeed for the kind words.

I care about my customers and always try to remain helpful.

Thanks again, it's nice to be appreicated :-)

Cheers,

Joe

I agree whole-heartedly.

I have dealt with many companies over the Internet and TWO companies have had EXCELLENT customer service while every other has had HORRIBLE service.

Those two are Softimage and 3Dtutorial.com.

Hats off to those folks.

zen jehad
08-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Soft have a great CS dept in which they really go out there way to help you. Plus, it's always nice to hear those Canadian accents if you phone them up. :)

ShadowXOR
08-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Sadly I can't agree. I wrote them two e-mails before purchasing XSI with questions and they responded quickly, and thorougly. However AFTER I purchased XSI they haven't replied to THREE of my e-mails! One was to cancel the order (I was buying it somewhere else since they were sooooooo slow), then the other two were about licensing questions. No responses to any of them, it ended up shipping out. Recently I just sent them my licensing request (installing SoftImage Advanced (Student Edition) is rediculously complicated) and they haven't responded. So I sent them an e-mail about my licensing request and still nothing. The other e-mails haven't been answered and I sent them weeks ago, so I figure they ignored it, as for these new ones it's only been two days...but I can't use XSI until I get that license key... Not very good in my opinion. They got me to buy the product then stopped responding. Thumbs down.

*EDIT* And in case you are curious, I was very polite in all of my e-mails. :) Providing all of my information so that there was no confusion. Alas, nothing.

3dtutorial
08-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry to learn of your recent troubles.

Trust me, something is going very wrong and this is NOT normal behaviour from Softimage.

By any chance, have to tried picking up the phone and giving them a call to inform them of your troubles? I bet if you did you would get to the bottom of this problem fast.

In 99% of all cases this is a problem of miscommunication. How are you contacting support, is it via a simple email or are you going to the softimage support forum and opening a support request via the form there?

In any event I can assure you that what you are experiencing is NOT normal and I recommend that you contact them by telephone to inform them of your problems. I am sure they will call you back.

I have never once been ignored by softimage support and I'm no different than any other user.

Call them.

I hope that your problems will be solved quickly.

Best regards,

Joe Saltzman

Atyss
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
I have to agree with Joe. When email support doesn't work as I'd like it, I give a call and am generally very happy.

The only problem with that is if your in a time zone very different from Montreal.....

Cheers
Bernard

StephanD
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Can't wait to buy Xsi,plus I reckon the Cs team must primarily be French speaking(or is it not?),not that I have a problem with English though.

I can't help but to feel somewhat proud of this little baby.

CoolCalb
08-08-2004, 11:58 AM
back in 1997-1998 , I bitched on the softimage|3D mailing list about some missing features
and some problems, and I got a personal response from none other then the president
of softimage back then.. and also from the head of the 3D development team..

then a few months later, the president of sometimage back then, who was originally
from the country I live in, came back to the country to visit his family, and poped
in my work place, to see who is the little p#@k that made alot of noise on the list :)

it was pretty embarassing for me.. hehe

mr Bob
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
but did they fix and change things due to your complaints ? or did they just ignore you ....

B

ThE_JacO
08-08-2004, 01:34 PM
be careful, the last time I've been too vocal and involved with Softimage I ended up working for them for a couple of years!
anyway, having sat on both sides of the customercare fence, I can say Softimage is way on top of the competition.

no other company with such a large userbase can boast about a similar support.
SideFX maybe gets close or there (very nice chaps, very helpful and insightful) but then they have to tender to a userbase that is a fraction of Softimage's

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.