View Full Version : Maya and Spiderman 2

rock
08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Alias’ Maya is Core 3D Special Effects Software For Spider-Man 2

http://www.alias.com/eng/press/press_releases/20040730_spider-man_2.shtml

tgremlin
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Yep, and spiderman 2 previs where done with Blender :buttrock:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=151&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Andrew W
08-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Yes, but it's worth remembering that all big houses heavily augment and modify their applications for production use. The principle attraction of Maya is it's excellent API both through MEL for smaller tasks and C++ plug-ins for more major enhancement. There will have been a lot of coding done at Sony before they were able to do Spider-man.

Cheers,

Andrew

Wizdoc
08-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes, but it's worth remembering that all big houses heavily augment and modify their applications for production use. The principle attraction of Maya is it's excellent API both through MEL for smaller tasks and C++ plug-ins for more major enhancement. There will have been a lot of coding done at Sony before they were able to do Spider-man.

Cheers,

Andrew
Truer words never spoken. After Final Fantasy, I got into Maya (the PLE), very excited that I could achieve the same kind of cinematic quality of 3D right at my very own home. Suffice to say, things didn't really go as planned. I got maybe a sphere with a crappy looking metal shader before I got frustrated. After that, I took a 3D Max course and haven't looked back.

I'm not saying that Max is inherintly superior to Maya (or vice versa), but for me, Max just felt better and more suitable to my needs. I'm sure guys at ILM or wherever can make Maya squeal like a little girl with their coding know-how and pipeline integration, but it still might not be the best solution for me.

It's a really bad approach to start learning some 3D app just because "they did The Movie X with it!". I've chosen Max because I've got training for it, like the interface and the multitude of useful options in the same package, not because they did some of the effects of Hellboy with it.

For you, the choice might XSI, Lightwave or, yes, Maya. It's just a tool. Like workgloves, some fit better than others and make the work enjoyable, but they don't build that house for you.

kid tripod
08-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Wizdoc - spot on.

The thing which annoys me is when showreels go around saying "done with Maya" not mentioning it was rendered in PRMan and painstakingly composited in Shake afterwards. People then unfairly compare this to other stuff which is more honest in it's crediting.

retinajoy
08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Alias have a very good marketing hype machine. They even offer incentives to make sure production companies hilite their software over other software used in a production. As mentioned above Maya does have power in certain areas (inc char anim and mel script), but it's native renderer is almost hardly used on production. I think other options offer a better all round solution IMHO, depending on your needs.

CIM
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Wizdoc - spot on.

The thing which annoys me is when showreels go around saying "done with Maya" not mentioning it was rendered in PRMan and painstakingly composited in Shake afterwards. People then unfairly compare this to other stuff which is more honest in it's crediting.

It should be "Made possible with Maya" instead. Because of it's great API and scripting abilities, movies like this are able to be done.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.