PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman, Marvel Comics -roger Cruz & John Rauch (me) (2D)

EraserX
08-02-2004, 05:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/44391/44391_1091465864_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/44391/44391_1091465864.jpg)

Title: Spiderman
Name: Marvel Comics -roger Cruz & John Rauch (me)
Software: Photoshop

This is the cover to Marvel Age Spiderman #14 coming out in October from Marvel. Roger Cruz provided the penciled art and I supplied the digital paints.

EraserX
08-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Wow...not one reply...I hate bumping, but surely someone has something to say.

Keem
08-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi , i like ur coloring , so soft and dreamy , it suits the jungle

but it doesnt suit the ACTION
and thats my comment , u need more Dynamic Perespective in the Figures so that u can Establish the Action and create more suspense and sence of motion , also u need more BLACKS all through the figures and the backgrounds to help create that depth

i like ur lines
but really Good luck , u r on track

EraserX
08-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Roger Cruz provided the penciled art and I supplied the digital paints.

fegan
08-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Cool!!! I like the water color effect background.

EraserX
08-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it actually came off looking like watercolor to someone other than me.

percydaman
08-07-2004, 01:44 PM
somebody is about to get punched in the groin...

andy_maxman
08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
ho do ya feel now that it is *plugged*....?
hmmm.....about the image....i'm not sure about the spidey pose....esp. his head and chest part...
really appreciate your digital paint talent man....goodShow!!!!
cheers!!!

andy_maxman
08-07-2004, 01:52 PM

hahahahah!!!! bigtime mate!!!!!!:scream:

Mata Tango
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
:thumbsup: I like the contrast between the background and the characters.
Could you show some of your progress to complete this image?
Good stuff.:buttrock:

pogonip
08-07-2004, 02:59 PM
your both very talented nice piece !!

Ckabusk
08-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Nice! I love to read that comic and am fowarding to get that artwork of your on comic.

mmkelly011881
08-07-2004, 03:36 PM
excellent job on those colors EraserX.. it's a beautiful piece.. i might have to go out and buy the book when it comes out so that i can say that i "know" the guy who painted it

i really like the background watercolor style as well.. perhaps more of a value shift from bottom to top as you get closer to the sky... i dont know if it would make the picture feel tighter or more open.. right now it feels like they are fighting in front of a painting.
what program did you do the painting in.. it looks beautiful..

i know you only did the paints
it's actually the spidey pose and the cheetah guy (sorry don't know his name) that are bugging me... they seem kind of unnatural.. especially spidey's right (our left) leg doesn't seem to be bent in a natural way.. i cant really tell where spidey is in relation to that guy in real space

TuLe
08-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Amazing piece... Such grace in spider moves, yet such rage on kraven actions!

I dig a lot RogerCruz works, a real "braza" treat...
Any high-rez pics to use as wallpaper?

kamrhon
08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Really good colors....I only suggest darker shadows to impose greater suspense and drama......and something must be done to integrate the characters and background.....I can see where you have done a great job separating them....now just bring them together without disturbing that separation.

bigtodd
08-07-2004, 05:11 PM
John,
Did you use a tablet? I am just learning photo shop. Can you give any details as to how you did this cover? i suppose background is on different layers. How did you get your contrast between foreground and background to look so good? Did you use any filters or special effects?

Thanks

Todd

TonyEdwards
08-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by percydaman:
:eek: nice one.

Originally posted by Mata Tango:
Could you show some of your progress to complete this image?
I would be intersted in seeing this as well. This is an excellent image EraserX no crits from me. :thumbsup:

rhemrev
08-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Ha, I finally find out who painted this pic! A friend of mine showed me this cover, and first thing I asked wuz 'who painted this, this is freakin' great'! Turns out it was you! I remember you from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back over at penciljack, but lost track of ya for a while, cool to see what you've been upto, you seem to be doing rather ok! Not sure if you remember this, but you even colored some of my art waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, a rather bad pinup I did of aspen and cannon.....which, even back then, lifted to a whole new level with your coloring!

Keep up the excellent work bro, pensnpixels.com has been bookmarked and I'm gonna make sure to keep checking out your work!

Respect,

-Edwin
rhemrev.com

Dearmad
08-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I thought Kraven was dead.

Meh... comics... I can't stand the mainstream one's anymore...

Nice art though. Only crit: Spideys feet look a little flat to me. I've never really undestood if he's supposed to be wearing little rubber soles in there or if he's barefoot...

Looks like Kraven's gonna get off a crotch punch if he's fast enough. :argh:

Wookie Cookie
08-07-2004, 06:53 PM
did you do the color in photoshop?

EraserX
08-07-2004, 07:50 PM
percydaman: As long as it's not me.

andy_maxman: It feels pretty good. :)

Mata Tango: Sure thing.

Pogonip: Thanks man!

mmkelly: Thanks for the crit/props man. I did all the painting in Photoshop 7.

TuLe: I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I'll see if I can work something up soon.

Cirrus9: :D

rhemrev: Hey man! It's been a long time. Did you see the cover in Wizard or somewhere else? By the way, I'll be finishing up another site for myself and 5 other equally (if not more) talented artists that will be launched in the next couple days, so keep an eye out for that one too.

Dearmad: The "Marvel Age" line is actually a retelling of older stories, except geared down for a younger audience. So, Kraven may very well be dead in the current timeline. Honestly, I haven't a clue. Not sure about those shoes either. I prefer when they resemble shoes a little more, but I suppose it's one of those preference things more than anything. I'm not about to critique realism issues for a guy that wears spandex and fights crime. :shrug:

Wookie Cookie: Sure did!

Here are some progress shots:

Flats
http://pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven.jpg

Beginning to render
http://pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven_2.jpg

Spidey & Kraven rendered
http://www.pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven_3.jpg

Starting on the cats
http://pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven_4.jpg

Almost done
http://pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven_5.jpg

Done
http://www.pensnpixels.com/postedimages/MASM_Kraven_fin.jpg

The grand total was about 5-6 hours of painting.

ndat
08-07-2004, 07:53 PM
wow sweet :), I kinda like the almost done one better lol, I like the colors and contrast more, but thats just me.... Great Job, killer peice of art you got there.

DoLeeP
08-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Absolutely stunning work

dcmoutinho
08-07-2004, 08:20 PM
great work !
good painting technique

TuLe
08-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Brilliant... stunning... amazing!

Congrats man... i wish i had this in me!

Voursez
08-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Nice images, i really wanna know what happens 2 seconds after this :twisted:

ambas
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
awsome! Spidey vs. Kraven.

Mirrabooka
08-07-2004, 08:48 PM
amazing! like it very much. :thumbsup:

malcolmvexxed
08-07-2004, 08:57 PM
the colors are nice, good job especially on the color selection, but spiderman is HUGE in that artwork ( I Know you didn't draw it). First of all spidey is supposed to be kinda scrawney, second of all he's not supposed to dwarf Kraven.

infin8_1ne
08-07-2004, 09:54 PM
john,
that is an excellent example of comic color manipulation my friend, are you the colorist on the previous spider-man marvel age comics as well?

konst
08-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Awesome work! In 6 hours I would not even have come to the "Beginning to render" stage heh. Thanx for sharing the progres shots with us.

Now when we have seen this everyone will buy the magazine to se what hapens with spidey :p...I feel so sorry for him...

kraal
08-08-2004, 12:09 AM
on a whole good work .... since you did not do pencils i will not comment on pencils but there seems to be spacial relationship problems based on colors.....everything needs to be bumped up value wise (or bumped down) to show what is in front and what is behind ( aerial perspective that is) not like a land scape but right now everything seems to be on the same plan the only thing seperating is the veiwers common sence. in otherwards selective contrast would of helped which would not be hard to achieve with the help of photoshop.

kraal
my website (http://www.artiscommunication.com)

rawgon
08-08-2004, 12:43 AM
good style and sense of movement! i like the composition and colors

Branko
08-08-2004, 12:46 AM
The pic is wicked and masterfuly rendered. Still though, on the pencil side, there needs to be more dynamic placement, both spidey and Kraven are to square compared to the Leopards, who seem to be the only ones who really carry the semblance of agility(and yes I know that you did only the colors, but nonetheless the sketch shouldn't be ignored). As for the painting, it's obviously top notch, everyone can see that, but just like a few others have already commented, you need to bring forth the image through more aggressive shading. Remember, they are in a jungle, jungles are dark a murky under the canopy. The work itself is fantastic, but if you wanted mroe depth/umph, try being more risque with the darker tones.
Well you did want a critique, didn't you?!

EraserX
08-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

kraal: The background seems to have a lot less contrast than the foreground IMO. I've had several people comments saying it's almost too much of a difference. Oh well, either way, I appreciate the comment/crit.

Rasdasa: Thanks man! I see what you mean, but I tend to shy away from getting TOO risky on things like this, because it seems like I'm more often than not, asked to tone it down. I was actually even surprised that I could get away with the Green cast over the main characters.

francescaluce
08-08-2004, 01:24 AM
wow.. my compliments.

I dont feel all this necessity to invoke depth, depth colors, or shadows, even contrasts.. to get perspective or action.. I think the composition is just 'graphical'.. and this impose a look not so 'real' or pictorial.. it's also a mood in this kind of illustrations.

great work.

ciao
francesca

kraal
08-08-2004, 01:34 AM
sorry not talking about the background

i am talking about the characters they all seem to be on the same exact plane the animals and people dont seem to be infront or behind eachother.
hope that makes since

EraserX
08-08-2004, 01:37 AM
sorry not talking about the background

i am talking about the characters they all seem to be on the same exact plane the animals and people dont seem to be infront or behind eachother.
hope that makes since
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks!

EraserX
08-08-2004, 03:03 AM
john,
that is an excellent example of comic color manipulation my friend, are you the colorist on the previous spider-man marvel age comics as well?
Thanks man! No, I believe the guy you're thinking of is Danimation. He painted the issues Mark Brooks penciled and they were pretty impressive. So far, I've done about five of the covers. With any luck, maybe I'll get a bunch more. :)

artlover
08-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Great Spiderman pose. Very well illustrated.

JesseDavis
08-08-2004, 08:49 AM
i like spiderman and all, and the picture is quite nice (maybe a little too much action but w/e). I was just wondering why spiderman is in the jungle, when he is a new york city kinda guy...

HOmz
08-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm lookin at your work right now in issue 12 of the MARVEL PREVIEWS! Its looks stunning in there and it looks even more vibrant through my monitor! I love the composition > true spidey acrobatics! Also like Kravens costume! Very nicely drawn, inked and coloured! Cant wait to get my hands on the issue!....and see more of ur work! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

jeromoo
08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I like this but the man in the leopard-spotted leotard simply looks out of place! He looked small by perspective, and the colouring for him doesn't match or blend together with the rest of the painting. Just my matter of opinion.

EraserX
08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

m0og0o: I think the story does a pretty good job of explaining it, but since the book isn't out yet, we'll just have to wait and see. It was a nice change of pace IMO.

HOmz: I'll have to look for that. I haven't seen it anywhere but online so far.

jeromoo: I noticed the size thing myself, but the colors seem to fit IMO. But, what do I know, I've probably stared at this thing too long to really "see" it anymore.

MyAMeE
08-09-2004, 04:54 PM
This is my first post here so forgive me if I tend to babble. I have to say well done. Better that what I can do at this time. No critic here. You are very good with Photoshop, and I want to know if you have ever used another paint apps besides Photoshop. I looked at Dogwaffle at http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm, but I do not know if it would do such a good job for comic books. Taking a look at your background reminded me of this app.
Last week I just bought the 2disk set DVD of Spiderman made for mtv. I liked the toon shader that animators used on this animated series. I wished I knew what app they used. I did not recognized any of the interface they used for cg. I bought this not because I like Spider-Man, because I want to do an Anime using cg. I do not know if you have seen the Animatrix, well of their short films called "Beyond" used a technique called Camera Projection Mapping. This was done in XSI. They took background images and mapped them to 3d objects to give them a 3d effect. If you have not seen the DVD the Animatrix just take a look at it and especially Beyond. Your background art that I am looking at would look great using a camera projection mapping method. I found this software I have not played with but take a look at it at http://www.cs.ust.hk/~cpegnel/glTIP/ . I will let every on here let their imagination roam.
MyAMeE

phoenix
08-10-2004, 09:51 AM
nice work ...

怪力牛童
08-10-2004, 05:24 PM
COOL ,good work.

Baki
08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
wow good job on color skeme to keep all atention on spidy and rivals
you are a pro, i love the blend of cool colors in spidy's costume
cool piece of work man
hope to see more of youre stuff

EraserX
08-10-2004, 11:08 PM
MyAMeE: I've tried demos for a LOT of different graphics apps and full versions for quite a few as well, but Photoshop has always been the most reliable and most versatile in my opinion. Some of the others are great for having fun with and have really easy learning curves, but don't have the capabilities PS does. I downloaded the free version of the app you mentioned and I'm going to play around with it and see what it's like, but I don't anticipate it putting a dent in my PS useage.

Phoenix, 怪力牛童, Baki: Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

BTW, I just wanted to add that I launched a new site this week called 9-volt (http://www.9-v.org) with 5 other artist friends of mine. If you all have time to check it out, we'd be thrilled. This Spierman cover as well as quite a few other images are up in my (John Rauch) portfolio. I hope this doesn't qualify as spam or anything. Anyways, thanks again everyone!

rictormortis
08-11-2004, 04:44 PM
the movement is insane! very dramatic, love it!:thumbsup:

EraserX
09-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Just found out this got the Choice award. Woohoo!

Thanks again everyone!

cyrenevjacob
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
The coloring is amazing!!..though you could have done some emphasizing on the action....great work man!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.