PDA

View Full Version : Help me model a Rubber Duck

R1PPER
08-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi guys im still struggling to get my head around hypernurbs so if anyones got ten mins to help id really apriciate it :thumbsup:

Im trying to do this duck but when i try to add the wing it deforms the body too much and don't even get me started on trying to grow the head from the upper body...i spent about half an hour but not had much luck i must be missing a good few fundermentals here.

So if you guys could show me how you go about doing this i think it would be a great mini tutorial fo us Noobs...please teach me the ways of your work flow and help me get off the bottom rung of the Hypernurb ladder.

flingster
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
have a look at weswares freebie in extras on his site...and might give you some ideas.
http://www.wesart.com/

if not..then extrude is your friend i guess in this case...dunno..maybe highlight side polys and extrude slightly..then move points into place/shape of wing.

Finster
08-02-2004, 02:06 PM
I'm still pretty new too 3d myself. I found the Bel Air Tutorial (http://www.7thchamber.com/tutorials/Chev/index.htm) to be very helpful with hypernurbs. And as Flingster said, do a very small extrude first to "pin" the shape of the body, and then do your larger extrude to form the wing. This effect is done repeatedly in the Bel Air tutorial.

R1PPER
08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replys guys...indeed the Chevy Tutorial is very good and im about 1/4 of the way through it but the ink in my printer ran out and as im working on a 12" ibook it's quite hard to flip between the 2....so i decided to model some stuff in my house to get abetter understanding...a thought a duck would be fun and a good hypernurb subject.

I should have taken reference shots and worked on top but a friend has my Digi camera so i'm doing it by eye.

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/1895/Wing.jpg

The second time around it has been easier but still not sure how to go up and make the head....i guess ill just experiment for abit...would you guys model the beak and the square box logo at the front seperatly or from the same hypernurb?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

R1PPER
08-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Ok..heres my latest effort...ive added the details with seperate hypernurb objects as im still not confident doing stuff like this from a single piece....but it was a good learning excercise...didn't take too long but still not too happy with my understanding....but each day it seems to get alittle easier :thumbsup:

R1PPER
08-02-2004, 06:16 PM
FINISHED....got ther in the end...what do think?

Id love to see other Noobs efforts. :bounce:

flingster
08-02-2004, 07:34 PM
thats a good result bud..well done...now move on to the next thing...quick..keep that momentum...and keep hammering away...good luck.

(crit: you've got a patch at the back towards the tail on the final render...maybe check normals in that area...otherwise dunno what it is...seems a bit strange unless its lighting or spec channel..)
:thumbsup:

R1PPER
08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Cheers flingster...thats a reflection, probably the head.

Need to maintain this momentum only 4 days left till im back at work...my next project might be my braun Shaver but it has a very tricky cross section and not sure i can handle it...might need some more help tomorrow...if so i'll keep it to this thred :thumbsup:

flingster
08-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Cheers flingster...thats a reflection, probably the head.

Need to maintain this momentum only 4 days left till im back at work...my next project might be my braun Shaver but it has a very tricky cross section and not sure i can handle it...might need some more help tomorrow...if so i'll keep it to this thred :thumbsup:
typical...i mentioned everything else!!!!!!!! heh heh.

hey bud...just try...then try again...no one cares if you make mistakes or anything...everyone does it...you just gotta get the practice in...try different approaches for the same object, can also help you look at objects and how to model them.

R1PPER
08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Just finished afew more bits...i want to model my whole remote control car but the lack of a digi camera at the moment means id be wasting my time....I think ill do a Grand Marnier bottle next :applause:

R1PPER
08-03-2004, 04:52 PM
If anyones reading this...i wonder if theres an easy way to add the kneck detail on this bottle....there are two ridges that surround a wax stamp and i want to model them properly. But to get the shape of the bottle i've lathed a spline and made it editable...now do i need mesh surgery to add this sort of detail???

flingster
08-03-2004, 06:14 PM
so you got the bug then...ripper on a roll.

post a wire..MS is cool and well worth the money comes highly recommended personally...but there is very often other ways of doing things. what exactly is it you want to add to the top?
you might be able to do it with a bump/displacement map? dunno...post a pic/ref also of what you're on about.

R1PPER
08-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey Flingster...yeah put my head down today...im really trying to get into Cinema while ive got some time off, and it is starting to come together...bit by bit. I don't really need to learn animation yet which makes things alot easier.

So basically the kneck of the bottle has moulded details which ive cheated by just adding the shapes on top of the bottle...but i guess the proper way is to actually model it out of the bottle...but im still not sure how you do this....this adding extra detail to meshes is still way above my capabilities for now...but i guess when i learn that i'll almost be where i want to be.

flingster
08-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Hey Flingster...yeah put my head down today...im really trying to get into Cinema while ive got some time off, and it is starting to come together...bit by bit. I don't really need to learn animation yet which makes things alot easier.

So basically the kneck of the bottle has moulded details which ive cheated by just adding the shapes on top of the bottle...but i guess the proper way is to actually model it out of the bottle...but im still not sure how you do this....this adding extra detail to meshes is still way above my capabilities for now...but i guess when i learn that i'll almost be where i want to be.
are now i know what wax bit you mean...jeez thats a toughie...i would probably say displacement...or maybe something like dpacks projection thing..eg model it first then project it onto the seal part...nah thats rubbish suggestion. displacement i better.
have you got a bottle of it for reference?

R1PPER
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah ive got a bottle next to me...empty :shrug: im gonna do the wax stamp as a seperate hypernurb but the suroundind glass bevel i want'ed to do as a proper deformed mesh out of the bottle...but tried to do it with a bump and Displacement (but i couldn't move them around with the texture alignment tools??? what gives with that). I don't think i've ever got a displacement map to work...i probably should go back to the manuals...i might skim through the main manual in the morning. Back to the grind stone tommorow. :banghead:

flingster
08-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah ive got a bottle next to me...empty :shrug: im gonna do the wax stamp as a seperate hypernurb but the suroundind glass bevel i want'ed to do as a proper deformed mesh out of the bottle...but tried to do it with a bump and Displacement (but i couldn't move them around with the texture alignment tools??? what gives with that). I don't think i've ever got a displacement map to work...i probably should go back to the manuals...i might skim through the main manual in the morning. Back to the grind stone tommorow. :banghead:
i was referring to the wax stamp part when i was saying displacement btw.

:shrug:

R1PPER
08-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Ok finished. I had to cheat the texture on the top label as i couldn't get the label off the top and theres no ref on the web...also the main label graphic is from google so pretty crap also...im soaking the bottle now but these labels just don't want to budge...the High res render looks pretty good to me. :applause:

I think ill enjoy the sun for abit now...and think of my next project.

flingster
08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
well done bud...:applause:

R1PPER
08-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Just finished my coffee jug....wow...cinema's renderer makes everything look da B0ll0x...i think it could even make a turd shine. :applause:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/5278/Coffee.jpg

I think my last item i'll do is an accurate copy of my electric shaver spread over the next 2 days...wish me luck.

flingster
08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
youre turning into a walking modelling phenomena!!
keep going bud...model it...model it all....MMWAAhahahahahaahahaha

btw...nice coffee maker.

R1PPER
08-06-2004, 06:00 PM
OK...here's todays effort. I gave up on the idea of the shaver and did my cordless screwdriver. WOW thats it for me im back at work next week so 3D learnings on the back burner just for alittle bit :thumbsup:

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/367/SCREWDRIVER1.jpg

http://img62.exs.cx/img62/6344/ScrewDriver2.jpg

Hope some noobs can see just how easy it is to get started in Cinema 4D from this thred.

flingster
08-06-2004, 06:40 PM
well i dunno about noobs or not...i'm impressed bud...very impressed. good work you've certainly got a feel for it. have you got any other experience in other apps other than c4d?
:shrug:

R1PPER
08-06-2004, 07:02 PM
loads of experience in Photoshop & illustrator...I work in sales promotional marketing and ive been creating counter displays, Sampling stands and moulded Point of sale for years but all done in Photoshop. I just didn't think to start doing this stuff in 3D for REAL instead of faking it...Doh.

Ive been off work for the last 6 weeks with a broken leg which has helped me grasp the basics of Cinema...i can't wait to start putting it into practice...only problem is work will expect me to get stuff done just as fast as ever...

PS thanks for the Crits Flingster...it's helped keep me motivated :thumbsup:

Ill post back here when ive got some stuff to show off....ttfn

R1PPER
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
I decided to redo a Photoshop visual in 3D and it's turned out pretty cool. Making it was easy but getting the right feel for the lighting took abit longer.

flingster
08-20-2004, 04:33 PM
yeah this is the problem we have to be technically experts in lots of fields to be able to get good images...modelling, texturing, lighting...etc etc...but then i suppose its the same in a traditional painting also..anyways keep it up bud.

R1PPER
08-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Im gonna get briefed on my first real world job next week...a Budwieser Music amp Mailer. The art director wants it in 3D so we can do a flyaround for the presentation...really excited... :bounce:

flingster
08-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Im gonna get briefed on my first real world job next week...a Budwieser Music amp Mailer. The art director wants it in 3D so we can do a flyaround for the presentation...really excited... :bounce:
cool we like news like this...good luck bud..:thumbsup:

R1PPER
08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey Flingster...if your reading this...i could do with alittle help. Ive textured mapped a logo on a shape but it seems to be really effected by the light and is way oversaturated...is there a way to limit the way the logo is effected by the lighting...maybe with one of those tag things. so that the logo looks like it looks in photoshop....at the moment ive got it set to SAT at 0% / -100% is this ok????

Plus wheres the best place to post Q&A's...maybe its worth making a sticky on the front page for us chaps that arn't up to speed yet...i'm sure you and afew others wouldn't mind answering the odd Q&A....but i don't want to swamp the main Forum.

Thanks if you can help...my head really hurts after todays modeling extravagansa. :argh:

flingster
08-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Hey Flingster...if your reading this...i could do with alittle help. Ive textured mapped a logo on a shape but it seems to be really effected by the light and is way oversaturated...is there a way to limit the way the logo is effected by the lighting...maybe with one of those tag things. so that the logo looks like it looks in photoshop....at the moment ive got it set to SAT at 0% / -100% is this ok????

Plus wheres the best place to post Q&A's...maybe its worth making a sticky on the front page for us chaps that arn't up to speed yet...i'm sure you and afew others wouldn't mind answering the odd Q&A....but i don't want to swamp the main Forum.

Thanks if you can help...my head really hurts after todays modeling extravagansa. :argh:
is it just the logo? post an image bud...does it still look saturated without the logo? or is it a material setting you can look at? what lights involved? image pleazeeeeeee
also why not post in the main forum these sorts of questions..its not a question of blocking stuff up...this is what its mean't for + you'll be helping everyone else who has similar problems etc.

R1PPER
08-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi flingster...thanks for answering...spent around 4 hours on this amp today...but ive pretty much got no experience at texturing mapping...theres just soo much to learn in 3D that my head is actually starting to hurt...ouch. Here's a couple of screen grabs.

http://img8.exs.cx/img8/1507/Picture1146.jpg

http://img8.exs.cx/img8/4319/AMP1.jpg

The resources forum has really helped me get a good start at building up a shader base but im still struggling to find a really good lighting setup...i don't suppose you have a good one light suits all setup i could nab...Anyway really appreciate the help Flingster...ill buy you a drink one day :thumbsup:

flingster
08-23-2004, 10:17 PM
well kevin aguire i think posted a 3 light rig ages ago which is pretty good...also timc and shademaster posted a load of presets.

as to image...tricky for sure. and i'm not really sure what it is? are you talking about the metal surround on the rock cafe logo also..or the actual logo text area blown out..are you using a diffusion channel btw?
you have got quite a few lights..maybe exclude/include some from the logo extrude object?

(for the presets..email me at my sig..but i don't want a load of requests from people asking to email them these presets..they'll be on shademasters & timcs sites or do a forum search i'm grumpy today..ask me again tomorrow..heh heh.)

R1PPER
08-29-2004, 12:45 PM
...and so onto my first concept piece...theres only so much you can learn from modeling rubber ducks and screwdrivers.

When i broke my leg 2 months ago I was in a pretty bad way and for the first few days with fevers and was having some wickedly intense Dreams...During this time i had some really cool images pop into my head...and so as an onging project I think it will teach me sooo much to have ago at creating it.

So this is the concept which ive wipped up from google image searches and collected together to get a feel for the picture in my head...it's only ment to be a guide for me but is pretty close to the image i had in mind. It's not quite as dynamic as the image in my head as that is alot more extream angle But it's quite hard to give a 2D mockup that sort of perspective....im hopping the transition to 3D will aid that.

So ill keep my Work in progress to this thread but don't expect this to happen quickly as i havent modelled anything organic yet and ive never touched zbrush (which is the sort of treatment i want to give the hounds....and im very self critical...only the best will do. :thumbsup:

http://img15.exs.cx/img15/6999/All_Aboard.jpg

So....don't be shy give me your feed back on the ruff compostion.

Im gonna start on the train and background first which should teach me enough to model the rest by the time i get around to the girl and Hellhounds
:thumbsup:

flingster
08-29-2004, 02:03 PM
well thats certainly going to test ya bud...good to see.
i like the look of the concept anyways...looking forward to seeing how you get on.
on the comp front...i would have set one of the hounds slightly back a bit..however the problem with this is will probably draw the eyes that way...so not to sure really.

R1PPER
08-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Totally agree with having one hellhound the Hero and the other smaller...I think it'll be 3 - 6 months before i have all the elements created and im in a position to start composing the piece...until then flingster ill probably have 3 - 6,000 questions that i'll need answering. :thumbsup:

R1PPER
08-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Just showing you the direction the train is going....this is still early and just a snapshot of a texture test...the train is missing details and a massive snow plow front section :thumbsup:

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/6884/Direction.jpg

flingster
08-31-2004, 01:04 PM
looking forward to seeing your progress on this..:cool:

R1PPER
09-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Managed to spend another hour on the train...but really busy at work...needs handrails and afew more details but hopefully i can start on the mountains soon...

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/8528/Train2.jpg

PS...Hey flinster at the moment the Lava is sunk in with a bump map.... but how do i make it look like it's really deep???

flingster
09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
i think you should start a new thread for this whole project in the main forum bud..and get some useful crit etc.

anyway...don't forget...bump values can go above or below 100...
you could try using displacement..or create the geometry...also.:shrug:

R1PPER
09-02-2004, 08:01 AM
OK gonna post this in the WIP Section.

flingster
09-03-2004, 12:11 AM
OK gonna post this in the WIP Section.there is also the main c4d forum..as opposed tutorials/tips section..heh heh.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.