PDA

View Full Version : Modelling for facial animation with teeth

CrAzY
08-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi guys, im busy modelling a head for the specific use of facial animation in 3dsmax 5 using morpher. Everything is set up and I have started modelling the different phonems for the morphing targets, only problem is my model has teeth... doesnt sound like a problem until you see that the teeth and gums are seperate objects, and certain phonems require the bottom jaw to move, and ur bottom teethe being stuck to the bottom jaw means they have to move with when that sepcific morphin target is set. How am i going to make the teeth move with the jaw? Can I attach them to a certain vertex so that when those vertices are moved the teeth move with? or should I attach the teeth to the head as one model and just animate them with the whole head (bearing in mind that i will have to use subobject materials for the teeth material id's) what is the best way to do this? I dont want to make the teeth and head one object? and i preferably dont want to animate the teeth seperately after the facial animation...i just want the morp slider to move and the jaw and teeth to move with it? Hope you understand what im trying to say

Thanks

CrAzY
08-02-2004, 06:02 PM
anyone, i cant really go on with my facial morphing without knowing how the teeth are going to move. Any ideas are welcome. How do i make the teeth move with the jaw morph targets of the face?

LucentDreams
08-07-2004, 06:53 PM
your better off I've found, to make your morph targets control the cheeks and lips and not the jaw, leave the Jaw movement side to side and up and down to a bone, this way it rotates around a hinge like reality, and the teeth and gums can be connected to the bones (or children of the bones whatever works best for your setup).

I highly recommend looking at the stop staring book, haven't read it myself, but I've seen a bit of it, and seen what jason's been working on and such, theeres some really impressive work there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.