PDA

View Full Version : Cloth to cloth collision offset

Demilliac
08-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi everybody !

I Have two cloth geometry who collide each others, that's work fine. But I have some little artifacs due to the superposition of them. How to increase this collision offset betwen two cloth ?

thx for helping !
Regards, Demilliac

Gremlin
08-02-2004, 07:26 AM
hmm....
I know on a cloth collision object Collision Offset would be what you want, but I dont know what to use on a normal cloth object, is it possible to make a cloth object a cloth object and a cloth collision object? I think thats a bit redundant (and not possible) because cloth automatically self-collides and collides with other cloth objects....

I can think of some tedius work arounds (such as driving normal geometry deformations with a duplicate cloth object, and then enable "cloth collision" on the driven geometry, so you can use the offset feature) but Im sure there is a way to do what u want.... so nvm

Demilliac
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
This could be a nice method Gremlin, thx

But I'm astonished that alias don't have envisaged this kind of situation.
Always looking for a 'natural' solution.

Gremlin
08-02-2004, 09:25 AM
im not sure if u can interpret my method, im not quite sure how i'd go about it myself... but I dunno, cloth is kind of tricky to me; ive been looking for a method to use 3-dimensional cloth with an option to maintain volume.... but all 3D cloth objects I make just collapse on themselves. I want it to make ropes and stuff, because of the self collision factor.

however, I know Maya 6 hair does dynamic curves with self collisions... but I dunno how to use dynamic curves to drive a cylinder and have the self collisions carry over correctly (if at all)

FiendishVegan
08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
You need to be adjusting your thickness value in the cpProperty node assigned to the cloth.

From the manual:

Thickness:
Controls the depth dimension of the cloth. The value specifies the collision offset of the cloth when it collides with itself and with other cloth bodies. The amount of offset may vary depending on the Thickness Force attribute. The default is 0.2. The recommended range for thickness is between 0.1 and 0.7.

Good luck with your cloth.:bounce:

Demilliac
08-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Wow ! many thanks FiendishVegan !
How can I have miss this one ?!
You save my so precious time ... ;)

I still have to test this, but that could make it !

Gremlin
08-02-2004, 01:05 PM
blah you beat me to it...

I was searching around, and I found that attribute while trying to acheive an effect of my own... but yeah, that'll do it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.