PDA

View Full Version : Animating an accordion?

E.T
08-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Im animating an accordion (dont ask...)

But im having trouble with the rigging.
In max4 what would be the smartest way of animating it?
I havent got any space to upload a picture so unfortunately youll have to imagine it all yourselves.

Ive tried a bone setup with boxes as bones, but the deformations arent very accordionlike.
It needs to be able to squeeze together to aprox. half its size x-wise, and also be able to bend it without the pianokeys deforming. I suppose im missing something obvious here but please help, i have to make this soon..

thanks alot
E.T

Marcel
08-01-2002, 03:52 PM
I think you should leave the ends of the accordeon alone regarding the deformation. Only the middle bit should bend and scale.

I see your problem, the middle part should be able to become longer and shorter, and bend at the same time.

Is it linked to a character, it just floating in empty space?

E.T
08-01-2002, 04:03 PM
Nope its just hanging in mid air.
Im trying a morphersetup now, works o.k but its not terribly realistic. Gets a more cartoony feel.
The thing is, i know i could do this in a time consuming morpher way, but id rather learn a smart way of doing it.
It seems to me that this problem should be applicable to lots of other situations too..

E.T

Chris
08-01-2002, 10:26 PM
I probably wouldnt do this with bones, I'd try using a couple of linked xforms, one for each end, soft-selected to the middle & liked to a couple of dummys. That should give you the stretch. Then just put a bend modifier at the top of the stack to control the bending...

E.T
08-03-2002, 02:33 PM
i guess ill have to do some reading about x forms then ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.