PDA

View Full Version : Please help with aligning points

Lasercade
02-02-2002, 06:10 AM
Hello,
I'm a new lightwave user and I'm trying to align points in a model to an axis. Not just aligning but actually making the points planar to an axis.

here's a before and after pic of what I'm trying to achieve

http://www.lasercade.com/align.gif

If someone can tell me the easiest way to get from 1. to 2. without just manually dragging and eyeballing the points I would be very happy.

thanks

mm

Delucubus
02-02-2002, 06:25 AM
Hey just simply use the stretch tool, the big 'h' (hot key). Have all points in the vertical selected then just put the pointer in the spot where you want all the points to line up to and stretch horizontaly (left to right).

-Todd

Lasercade
02-02-2002, 06:33 AM
I never would have thought of that in 999,999 years.

thanks,

mm

ToddG
02-02-2002, 07:26 AM
ctrl-V . . . set value tool

Lasercade
02-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Todd G,
I actually like the stretch method a little better because it seems more interactive, that is I can just position the cursor where I want the points to align, whereas with Set Value, it seems that I have to enter an integer for the position.

Thanks for posting your great models on evil-plan. they've really helped me out in learning.

mm

JacquesD
02-02-2002, 08:46 PM
I quite agree with ToddG, set value is more accurate.

You just select the point where you want the others to align to and press 'I' for info point, take the position value and use the set value on the others with that position value.

Delucubus
02-02-2002, 10:49 PM
Set Value will definately work. But how accurate do you need to be and how much time are you willing to take to allign and set the value for each point. If you're working with a large object it would be quite difficult to allign each point that runs down the center axis of it (for mirroring etc. (just an example))

Monster Jack
02-03-2002, 08:43 AM
The tool (plug-in LScript) that I use in this situation is called "align points" -- all you have to do is select the desired points for aligning, click on the button for the plug-in and choose which axis you want the points aligned along, it works great!

Get the plug-in free here: http://thespread.topcities.com/

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.