PDA

View Full Version : HDRI maps !!!!

young_927
08-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Hello all~ i am wondering if anyone had an idea how to actually create a HDRI map???
does anyone know??
thanks in advance~

young

tachy0n
08-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Create as in how ? If you mean from photographs, then search for HDRShop which does this and is by the creater of the IBL technology. If you mean from XSI, then choose one of the float formats like MAP or CT and your redner will be in HDR format.

You can also paint them using something like Cinepaint or Photogenics...

maxFX
08-02-2004, 02:31 PM
A friend of mine did this :

took 45 !!! renders at different exposure settings
and combine them to HDR shop, 2 time-consuming, but really has unbeatable results ...the HDR was for a well-known movie...

Additionally, floating-point TIFF will serve well , after some Photoshop-HDRshop touches!

young_927
08-03-2004, 06:56 AM
thanks for your replies~
I meant actually creating a HDRI from scratch~
since I don't have any idea of actually creating an HDRI map...
so it can be done by taking photos right? what resolutions?
then u need to take it to a HDR shop?... hmmm.. not sure what this means...
can anyone here give me a clearer explanation of what HDR shop is??

thanks a lot guys~
thanks maxFX, and tachy0n

tachy0n
08-03-2004, 08:54 AM
How it works is that you take photographs at different exposure settings, and then assemble them into an HDR image in a software tool called HDRShop. Check here for more info and details:

http://www.debevec.org/HDRShop/

young_927
08-03-2004, 11:11 PM
thanks tachy0n!
i will check that out~

young_927
09-05-2004, 09:01 AM
hi~

I just have this questions about making HDR image..
which way is the best way? to me it seems like going with the chrome ball is the easiest way..
And can just a normal pictures (by normal i mean, not being panorama, probe, or cross) work too?
just a planar image w/ different exposures, would that make a useful HDR image to make a realistic lighting??

thanks~

Atyss
09-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Yes, but a planar image will not be great for spherical environment map. Since the point of hdri is to use spherical maps, you should consider using a chrome ball. But it's not mandatory for hdri to work.

Cheers
Bernard

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.