PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best modeling tool?

mill
08-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Hi.
I thought Maya and LightWave modeling was the best.
But there are a lot of modeling tools these days like Wings3D, Modo, Silo and Blender.
I am confused.
Compared to Maya modeling, are they really good?
If so, which is the better one?

I know I should try first.
But I have no time to try everything.
If you give me some advice, that would be very helpful.

Currently I am a user of Maya, Softimage and ZBrush.

Nicool
08-01-2004, 10:25 PM
All I can say is that Maya modeling rocks (better than 3dmax to me who use both). Wings3d, free mirai/nendo style modeler (quite particular at first try, but that is the best workflow for a lot of modeler, like... Bay Raitt). Silo seams to be based on a kind of enhanced Maya modeler... so should rock !

- Nico

Xaint
08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Wings 3D has a very intuitive workflow, when I model in it, I feel like I'm playing. You can do really advanced polygonal editing in Wings - with ease. I use Zbrush for high-detailed stuff... and as Nicool said, Maya for modelling rocks. If you have to model rocks, then no other software is better than Maya!
Good luck!

mill
08-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi.
I hear people saying modeling in Maya is not good.
So, I just wanted to know what other people think.
Ok Maya is good.
But I will try either silo or Wings3D anyway.

Thank you for your advice.

EricMLevy
08-03-2004, 02:25 PM
All major packages have their pluses and minuses. I'm using Max 3.1 right now, and I'm making stuff that looks as good as it would be in Max 6 or Maya. Max is easier to jump into than Maya, but Maya has quicker accessibility to high end stuff like fluid dynamics, hair, and that junk.

Pick one and start doing tutorials.

operativem
08-03-2004, 05:01 PM
you know what? i don't think there is a "best" tool. i've used lots of software and found good and bad points about each. yes, maya is powerful. it also helps if you can invest in a $5000 computer on which to run it. wings isn't as powerful, but it probably runs great on almost any pentium. so, there really isn't an answer. it's like saying "what's the best car?" well, i'd love to drive an aston-martin, but it's not in my budget.

MattH
08-06-2004, 08:33 AM
In my opinion a great artist can make a great piece of art even if the tools he uses are "OK" at best.

I was raised in Max, so thats my vote.

I can't wait to start playing with Wings this weekend though.

captain chapo
08-06-2004, 08:49 AM
yeh i spent $700 on my comp and it runs maya fine. i'd say 5k is quite a large overestimate. but your point is correct...maya can kill your comp. haha.

vigoro
08-06-2004, 12:52 PM
This question is asked i'm sure every second day. There is no definite answer. There can be no definite answer. For one, how many different ways are there to model something? How many different tools are there to accomplish a certain task, in any package? If someone understands the concepts of modelling in 3 dimensions, then any package will give great results.

Not to mention the fact that all the packages have custom ui capabilities, so the software can cater to your own particular style. Which is the best modelling tool? They all are. Try as many as you can, and use whatever makes you smile.

snarkle
08-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Personaly, I like Zbrush to model characters(before I used Abrush, all my characters looked like balloon animals) and I like to use Maya to do things like buildings and cars (though sometimes I use both for cars). But like was said earlier, there is no definite best one. To quote Bruce Lee "If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it".

sigge
08-06-2004, 03:29 PM
I give Max my vote. I didn't touch it for years and opened up Max6 a couple of month ago and with the editable poly it has become a really great tool. For whatever reason Max suites my workflow. Maya isn't bad either, but I work a lot faster in Max.

Silo and Wings are really nice too. Silo was more natural for me at first, but after spending some time with Wings i'm not sure anymore. Both are really really nice.

Dave Anderson
08-06-2004, 05:55 PM
I say max , maya is good 2 ,but it's a bit complicated for me . I tryed it 3 times and know only the basic for it . I do all my projects with max . But thats not a easy question to answere , cause it will depend on you how good you can get along with the software and how good you will master it

abohmed
08-06-2004, 06:53 PM
3d max is the best tool for modeling so i voste for 3d max

TheWraith
08-06-2004, 07:47 PM
i like maya for nurbs and subD, but max has better poly modeling tools over all, unless you get some of the free scripts out there like mjpolytools and bonus tools etc... zbrush is kick ass for adding detail to already created models but doesn't give you a lot of control over topology. which is why i use pre-existing models in zbrush myself. i haven't used xsi but it looks like it has good poly/subD tools as well... i'd put maya in the lead for over all with it's nurbs, followed by max for its splines.. but when it comes to just poly modeling i'd say either silo or max. but i haven't used mirai much (only the short demo they sent several years ago). and i also haven't used xsi much (only the xsi|exp for about a month).... i'd also say i'd go with max for anything architectural... and silo for anything organic

mill
08-07-2004, 06:42 AM
I was so impressed by Zbrush and I regret I hadn't pay attention for it.

Now I am grad I hear many people's opinion.
Every tool have good and bad feature.

ambient-whisper
08-07-2004, 08:04 AM
I was so impressed by Zbrush and I regret I hadn't pay attention for it.
does this mean you have zbrush 2 and didnt pay for it? this is not something we want to hear on this forum, and is a ban-able offense.

Max4d
08-07-2004, 10:39 AM
I think that what he is trying to say is that he didn't payu much attention to it at first and he regretted that it took him a while before he got zbrush and paid for it. Than again ambient, it's a bit naiv to state that you don't want to hear such things, 70 % of what is shown here on the forums are all with illegal software produced, even things that land in the gallery...........

About the best programm,; the answer is quit simple.......... the ARTIST. it doesn''t realy matter which one you use it's HOW you use it and that depends on the artist.

Max4d

mill
08-07-2004, 01:27 PM
I did pay money for Zbrush.

Although I had heard people saying Zbrush was good in some forums, I didn't even try to know what Zbrush was.
Now I have Zbrush and I am so impressed.
I regret my ignorance.
Because I am having hard time to catch up with those skilled Zbrush user.

Sorry for confusion.

ambient-whisper
08-07-2004, 02:02 PM
I did pay money for Zbrush.

Although I had heard people saying Zbrush was good in some forums, I didn't even try to know what Zbrush was.
Now I have Zbrush and I am so impressed.
I regret my ignorance.
Because I am having hard time to catch up with those skilled Zbrush user.

Sorry for confusion.
ok cool. thanks for the clarification.:) by the way, make sure to check out the practical guide. itll help a lot.

Than again ambient, it's a bit naiv to state that you don't want to hear such things, 70 % of what is shown here on the forums are all with illegal software produced, even things that land in the gallery...........
read the forum rules lately ? its not that i dont want to hear such things. its that the forum guidelines are clear about the matter.

Max4d
08-08-2004, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=
read the forum rules lately ? its not that i dont want to hear such things. its that the forum guidelines are clear about the matter.[/QUOTE]
YOU represent the forum guidelines, so offcourse you don't want to hear it or at least should pretend so. Then again, the forum guidelines are quite funny when it comes to things like this.. knowing stuff, but pretending them not to be

ambient-whisper
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
YOU represent the forum guidelines, so offcourse you don't want to hear it or at least should pretend so. Then again, the forum guidelines are quite funny when it comes to things like this.. knowing stuff, but pretending them not to bei make sure the guidelines are followed. it keeps the board clean. i hope you can respect that.
on another note, the zbrush creators are friends of mine, so if someone steals from them, it doesnt make them happy, and that in turn doesnt make me happy.

Xeroedge
08-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Use XSI for modelling or anything expect Maya. Maya is offically the worst modelling software ever. It has just trash Sub-D.

CIM
08-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Use XSI for modelling or anything expect Maya. Maya is offically the worst modelling software ever. It has just trash Sub-D.

You, like many, are ignorant about Maya's sub-ds. They are not your so-called sub-ds that other programs have (which are nothing but some sort of smooth that can be toggled).

Anyway, Maya can also emulate the so-called sub-ds of the others apps. :rolleyes:

DimitrisLiatsos
08-11-2004, 07:31 AM
I would suggest a Maya and ZBrush combination but i would also suggest to check on new Modo videos ..in case u find it fitting for u. In any app u will decide , the only thing i find a must have tool 'cuase of how easy and fast it is ...is ZBrush....i thing it's worths every cent!

OLE!...weeeeeeeeeeee!

IanGuy
08-11-2004, 11:11 PM
I like the subpatches in Lightwave, even though they don't have some of the features other apps do (edge weighting and ngon support). I also prefer polygon modeling in Lightwave to Max or Maya. Not sure why, just do. Splines are pretty useful to, although I'm new to them. The best tool might be LScript, though becuase, like Maya, you can write plugins for (almost) whatever modeler lacks.

mill
08-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Personally I like Maya and LightWave modeling.

Maya
Although Maya SubD is not good, I can use the combination of Smooth Proxy and Mental ray approximation.

Modo
Modo looks great but it's too expensive for me.

XSI
I am going to have to use XSI at work for the next project.
I am going to use it anyway.

Thank you for all the advice.

Xeroedge
08-16-2004, 12:10 AM
I used maya for more than 1 year, almost 2 years. I'm not ignorant about their sub-ds. They just plain suck.

You, like many, are ignorant about Maya's sub-ds. They are not your so-called sub-ds that other programs have (which are nothing but some sort of smooth that can be toggled).

Anyway, Maya can also emulate the so-called sub-ds of the others apps. :rolleyes:

pnoland
08-16-2004, 12:20 AM
This thread can really never be resolved. Really no matter how expensive, how flashy, and how many features a program has it all depends on who's using it. Amazing models come from every package from Blender to Houdini. I think Zbrush is one of the rare exceptions that can't be compared to other programs (3dsmax, Silo, Maya...) it just has it's own style. I will say that a comination of Zbrush's zsphere's along with your modeling app of choice is bound to be a rocking combo! I've used it with Silo (...although I can't wait to try it with the new topology brush!), wings3d, cinema 4d, and Blender and I've had good results and experiences with all of them, I'm just more used to Silo so that's my modeler of choice.

PS...I will agree that Modo's price tag seems like it might be hefty. Looks nice though. :)

pnoland :)

JJ54
08-16-2004, 01:05 AM
I've looked at Modo's website but it seems not to be released quite yet and EXPENSIVE!! Does anyone know anything about it?? Their site has vids of some cool functions but it would be nice to see a vid of someone modeling from scratch to get a better feel for the workflow. A demo would be nice.

/Jim

CoolDuck_HRO
08-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I have used Maya for character modeling for more than 1.5 years now and became very familiar with the polygon toolset, so I must agree that Maya is a great modeling app.

But for me XSI 4 is a little bit better at organic modeling. Why?
- move points mode: you can move your vertices around with selecting them and using the move tool.
- easier to switch between poly and subd just by pressing + or - keys.
- raycast selection, you can paint on polies or edges to select them. Maya has it too, but not as sofisticated.
- mirror symmetry mode. Manipulate verts/edges/polies at one side, changes the other side for u.
- nice user friendly UI imo, not that Maya is not user friendly.

It just feels a lot faster when modeling in XSI, even though I have only used XSI for less then 2 weeks, I already feel comfortable poly modeling there. In XSI I feel that I have more creative freedom because of less software constraints.
Hugely because of the ability to see Subdee while in sub component mode. In Maya I have to go out of sub component mode and convert to subdee which I have a script that simulate the TAB key of LW.

But Maya has great NURBS :) and a great customisable UI plus MEL.

But watch out for MODO! I have seen the videos on their website, impressed! I like Wings 3D too, very simple but extremely effective.

dephcon
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
from what i heard, really professional 3Dartists combine the possibilities of different programms.

some in the film industrie use 3Dmax and Maya, and some other programms i forgot the names ;)

i think they try to find out which kind of modeling they can do best with different tool and then simply use all of them for there specified applications.

as an example, lots of people say NURBS modeling in Maya is a bit complicated but very powerfull. same goes to poly editing in Max.

they think about which kind of modeling for there applications is the best way and then use the program they archived the best results with.
ok this cant be compared to most people, cause most of these programms are just to expensive to have them all.
so as a matter of fact, you cant say this or that is the best modeling tool, its just what you want to do with them, and how well you can achieve the results you want.
there are trial versions for nearly every commercial 3d programm. you "need" lots of time to find out, with which programm you can get along.

just my 2 pennys :)
sorry for the bad english

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.