PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with morphs(eyelids)

kzo
12-16-2001, 09:50 PM
I've modeled and set up a penguin character(pretty much like Tux the Linux Penguin), but I don't think I know how to properly create morphs.

I mean I've gotten them to work, but I get ugly pinching and distortion when I morph the eyelids from open to closed, or closed to open. Is there some tricks when modeling morphs?

The eyes are big cartoon type eyes.

Can someone help me?
Thank you

kzo

nick
12-16-2001, 10:30 PM
Okay im guessing your using subdivision surfaces, in your object properties set your subdivision order to last instead of first and that should fix your problems :) Have fun

Chewey
12-16-2001, 10:55 PM
Try the previous suggestion about setting the subdivision order to last. Read the following if that doesn't correct the problem.

The problem you are experiencing is what happens with linear morphing. With a base mesh that deforms to a single morph mesh, the points that are being moved will move in a straight line between the base and morph target point positions. Since an eyelid and eyeball are curved, the eyelid points have to travel through the eyeball's curved geometry to find it's final eyelid closed position. To better explain, try creating a single straight finger and make a morph target of the finger fully bent closed. Now try to animate the finger from straight to fully closed with just the single morph. You'll see that the finger doesn't make the transition from straight to closed without some very ugly distorting of the finger. If you create a few intermediate transition morphs that force the straight finger to morph to the closed version over a few in between morph target shapes then the finger will appear less distorted but still not as gracefully as the transition created using bones to deform the geometry with rotation of the joints/bones.

Since your character is a cartoon style one, I'd recommend making the eyelid geometry seperate from the head geometry and use bones to create the blinking. Use weight maps to isolate the eyelid mesh so you can use a bone parented to the main penguin's skeletal hierarchy while preventing the eyelid bones from influencing other penguin geometry. I'd also uses bones for the eye animation control using the same weight map technique to isolate the eye bone's influence from the other penguin's geometry.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.