PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle : McLaren MP4 19B F1 car

SimonReeves
07-30-2004, 06:28 PM
http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/mclaren/mclaren_finalb.jpg

This model is by detonum (http://www.3dluvr.com/detonum/)
I just added a couple of bits to the model to finish it off, you can see his wip thread here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147546&highlight=mclaren)
I made the textures and the scene.
created in 3ds max, rendered with mental ray textures and post work done in photoshop

cheers!

1200x771 version (http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/mclaren/mclaren1200.jpg)

kaffo
07-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Looks freaking realistic! It turned out well, nice Job! :thumbsup:

rockyj123
07-30-2004, 06:34 PM
amazing work man....which tutorial did u refer.......

Kid-Mesh
07-30-2004, 06:35 PM
You gotta be kidding me

xjgd4321
07-30-2004, 06:38 PM
unbelievable! :buttrock:
wonderful job!

markovicd
07-30-2004, 06:45 PM
u have to much reflectivity on tires...

detonum
07-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Astonishing work Simon! Thanks for the collaboration :thumbsup:

I dont think that the tires look too reflective, brand new tyres are very clean, we usually see them weared out :)

INTiE
07-30-2004, 07:54 PM
I usually don't like F1 cars, but this is AWESOME render. Pretty neat, man!

EricCartman
07-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Kick Arse!

Tires are too clean.

F1Racer
07-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Car model is great. The tyres are wrong though. I see the tyres let down a few F1 car models.

In this case its just the grooves that are not correctly placed.
The outer rubber that makes the grooves is a little too wide not leaving enough at the inside and outside of the tyres.
Sidepod shape look a little wrong too.

In general its a great attempt. It sure looks the part. Good job.

HapZungLam
07-30-2004, 09:02 PM
nice stuff. front page material.

SimonReeves
07-31-2004, 01:07 PM
cheers people, I have a bigger version for you here [and updated the original wfrom the big one]

1200x771 version (http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/mclaren/mclaren1200.jpg)

ThE_JacO
07-31-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of hard surface models, but there's something reminding me of airbrush illustrations (the Japanese 80s kind of airbrush work) about this pic that I happen to like.
plugged.

JasonA
07-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Nice work Simon, and Detonum! The modeling and shaders are very nice. Grass looks a bit wierd though, kinda like painted styrofoam :) overall sweet pic

ambas
07-31-2004, 03:43 PM
great job!! :thumbsup:
but..
-tires are too reflective. maybe add some dirt on it and a little smoke coming from behind..
-glass on the helmet bothers me

Sil3
07-31-2004, 03:44 PM
Simon your work keeps getting better and better, congrats m8 :thumbsup:

ENIAC
07-31-2004, 04:25 PM
not bad at all
tires are looking to plastic
:thumbsup:

cucaracha
07-31-2004, 05:09 PM
hey reeeeeally nice, isn't that the campus.hdr? :D

qur
07-31-2004, 05:29 PM
really nice render

but the tires looks soo new:)
can you make them like used ones it can be more realistic then

but it's wonderfull render and lightning is great:bounce: :applause: :applause: :applause:

richardvacheresse
07-31-2004, 05:31 PM
pretty amazing, great job

Stillwell
07-31-2004, 06:20 PM
I really like this image. It's got this glossy look that I don't know how you did it.

Only problem I see is the tires. I'd really like to see a wire, I can't imagine how clean the mesh is :)

MaxParticle
07-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Nice texturing, a tutorial on this would be great, but the mesh needs a lot of work to turn it into an accurate representation of the McLaren MP4-19B.

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/2004/hockenheim/diapo_168.jpg

kanthal
07-31-2004, 06:21 PM
very nice as allways simon
only thing that bothers me is the tires, and no not that they look new, just that the track looks dry and those arent slicks, expecting rain are we?

AidanGibbons
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Amazing work as always mate..i'd love to take a look at the scene in september/october, whenever we're back :P I think the tires are great as they are...new tires look like that. :thumbsup:

webhead
07-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Nice Image. :thumbsup:

behzad
07-31-2004, 08:14 PM
looks very nice, but did you want it looking so clean, the tires look as if they just touched the ground being so polished.

alexyork
07-31-2004, 08:41 PM
excellent work as usual Simon :)

Izu
07-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Pretty nice there simon..as usual....just a few things i would like to point out (texture wise)..
first off the gloves....is he working part time at the docks gutting fish ? ;)
check out what they usually ware...thin gloves almost like am. football players do...so that they can feel the texture of the ball when they have it in posession....

then there is the matter of the texture of the grass and the painted stripes....the grass just looks odd unless it's "turf" ?
and the stripes might need some spec or something cuz they look kinda matt...well..take care bro...come into london some time and we'll have a beer....or some sake ;)

cheers

francisvega
07-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Impressive!! :)

Very realistic render :)

weke! weke!! :applause:

RmachucaA
07-31-2004, 10:06 PM
you forgot the crack on kimi's rear wing :D.

Looking real good.

SimonReeves
07-31-2004, 10:29 PM
thanks for the comments guys and gals
cheers for the plug jaco ;)

cucaracha: hehe I can see why you'd think that, but the HDR is from Sachform.de (http://www.sachform.de)

kanthal : they are slicks, they are forced to have those grooves in the tyres instead pf having full slicks with no tred at all ;)

Izu mate, I can see what you mean about the gloves, they do look a bit rubbery, to be honest I didnt spend enough time on them
I understand what you say about the stripes they do look pretty flat and dull, but I dont want them to stand out at all/or to draw your eyes over to them too much

RmachucaA lol

btw I dont really like mclaren, mainly because of Ron Dennis [detonum does tho;)]
:thumbsup:

saturen3
08-01-2004, 12:19 AM
HEY MATE

Very nice.I couldn`t do this job by Mental Ray.Realy awesome.Did you use standard materials or MR materials?

C H E E R S

Tigerdog
08-01-2004, 03:46 AM
The paint looks awsome! Could u plz explain ur material and lighting setup in detail? PLZ it looks so good. Is the noise part of the diffuse slot?

Troy McClure
08-01-2004, 03:53 AM
WOW! Wonderfull!! :applause:
The first impression is stunning!!

But I would add a thing....
the car look motionless!:argh:
You are rendering a F1 car the fastest car of the world! (Ferrari are faster!!:p)
Immagine 900 hp coming from the engine that are transmitter to the tires, the car run at 320 km/h....
I think you should add more mothion blur, ad the effect of hot smoke coming from rear...
some dirt on tire and front wing.
Another thing, what time is it? :wise:The sun are very low in the orizont... F1 run at 2:00 p.m.

NEXT TIME DRAW A FERRARE PLEASE!!!

Bye bye!

Iceman_MP4
08-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Well the car is turning into a corner, and it doesn't look like Indy turn 13 (NASCAR - 1) or Parabolica Kurve at Hockenheim, so I'm pretty sure it isn't going flat out. Also, with todays camera technology and fast shutter speed, sports photos rarely suffer from motion blur anymore unless its done as an artistic effect to give the sense of speed. Then again, I guess its up to the artist to choose.

The track should probably have heat waves coming off of it, and the time of day doesn't look correct. If you want a lot of good references for an F1 render, I suggest checking out "F1 Racing" magazine. In the US its expensive, (about $8) but thats because its imported from the UK, so it should be cheaper there.

IMO I think the model really needs to be fixed more than anything though. Other than the nose area it doesn't look like an MP4-19B.

mikepolizos
08-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Great Pic, cool textures and shaders!

I have to agree with Troy McClure about the car being motionless!

Cool work though, keep it up!
:applause: :thumbsup:

thhchx
08-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Firstly the model's inaccuracy is very visible and thus must be fixed.. and it is imperative since the focus is the vehicle.

Secondly, no matter how technically correct this image might be.. say it's like a photo taken at fastest shutter speed and the most hi-tech camera in the world, as an artist, he/she should look at the pic again and ask him/herself if it is conveying the message it's supposed to convey? Is this vehicle stationary? If not, how to convey that it's moving?

Fishes don't move their tails that much when they swim.. and that is reality. But Pixar made their fishes wiggle their tails more, in order to accentuate the fact that they are swimming. They are, essentially, moving backwards from totally realism to be able to drive home their point stronger. Such thinking is something that I feel you really should look into.

Of course ultimately, you do what you deem best.

RedXR
08-01-2004, 12:20 PM
5 stars from me

Sheff
08-01-2004, 07:23 PM
great textures man! I think you shold put some dof for more reality! Exellent work!!

Sheff
08-01-2004, 07:28 PM
cool work, keep it up man! modelling is good too!

DenkoM
08-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Perfect work!!! but ehm Schumi rulez :twisted: :deal:
5 stars from me

ToddD
08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Simon/Detonum, nice work guys!
QUOTE:
"Firstly the model's inaccuracy is very visible and thus must be fixed"

Laughable!
I think it's important to keep in mind that the average viewer would take this at face value, and not notice any inaccuracies that an avid F1 fan might notice. While it may not be a perfectly accurate representation, to me it looks very believable. If this were being sold as art to race fans,accuracy would be of the highest priority, but for a portfolio type piece for the general public to view, this shines!!!

Sanby
08-01-2004, 09:26 PM
That's awesome. Modelling is great and the texturing is great.

One thing I noticed is the tires are a little bit to shiny/reflective IMO

looks incredible :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sanby

ChaosCommand
08-01-2004, 10:06 PM
It's cool, and it rules!

Awesome Job, keep up the good work

MaxParticle
08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Tyres are fine, that's how a fresh set of F1 tyres look. But as for Tbonz816 saying that accuracy is of no importance with this piece is in itself an incredibly laughable comment to make. if it didn't have such great texturing and a camera angle that hides a multitude of errors with the mesh, this wouldn't have made it to the front page. I apologise if I sound overly critical and I also apologise for my comments to the artists involved with the collaboration, but in my opinion it really isn't front page material. The mesh just doesn't do justice to the actual MP4-19B or the texturing and rendering achieved. It could pass as a generic racing car model, but the 3D model we have been told by the artists themselves is of the MP4-19B, and therefore I presumed would be a reasonably accurate representation. Unfortunately, it just isn't. I hope they learned much from the project and can improve their meshes in future projects, they've certainly got the talent to achieve much more.

ToddD
08-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Max Particle again you appear to be an f1 enthusiast, for those of us that do not know the difference the point is moot.
Not every viewer is an artist. Not every viewer is an f1 enthusiast. I model production cars, and try to achieve accuracy, because a high percent of people are familiar with these cars an error would be obvious. How many people are going to notice the difference between a MP4-19B, MP4-19j-k-l- or z. I'm not arguing your point about accuracy, but the piece is visually appealing.
I stated in my original post "If this were being sold as art to race fans,accuracy would be of the highest priority, but for a portfolio type piece for the general public to view, this shines!!!"

kappa
08-02-2004, 08:29 AM
My only Crit, and I'm not sure if this has been said.

The driver appears to be turning the wheel somewhat, yet the front tires aren't turned accordingly.

Great render nonetheless.

cheers,
Kappa

jasonbowers
08-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Nice render :thumbsup:

One thing bothers me though... why on earth would anybody want to model and render that horrible pile-of-crap-slow-as-a-snail car....???? :)

dudders
08-02-2004, 09:31 AM
great work, love your work.

But as everyone else has said tyres are too reflective and the drivers head needs to lean or look at where he's going. Ive posted a pic that may help, i dont know whether youre gonna make any adjustments, even still its a great pic, nice style.

http://www.flashprojx.com/cg/toyota-tyre.jpg

Benton
08-02-2004, 09:32 AM
i love F1!!!!!!

DoLeeP
08-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Render :- Excellent render for sure
Texture :- VGood ur tires look bit clean
model :- Good
ur work is awsom Keep this good work going :thumbsup:

KaDDD
08-02-2004, 06:48 PM
great modling,yes ! good :)

thhchx
08-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Max Particle again you appear to be an f1 enthusiast, for those of us that do not know the difference the point is moot.
Not every viewer is an artist. Not every viewer is an f1 enthusiast. I model production cars, and try to achieve accuracy, because a high percent of people are familiar with these cars an error would be obvious. How many people are going to notice the difference between a MP4-19B, MP4-19j-k-l- or z. I'm not arguing your point about accuracy, but the piece is visually appealing.
I stated in my original post "If this were being sold as art to race fans,accuracy would be of the highest priority, but for a portfolio type piece for the general public to view, this shines!!!"Everyone has their right to their views in an open forum. Some of us feel he should do more, some of us feel he should focus elsewhere. A forum such as this will always have views of all sorts. It's up to the person who started the thread to decide - which is why at the end of my post, I have also stated that 'ultimately he should do what he deemed best'.

Furthermore I believed you are well aware of the guidelines in "Before posting, please review the following:"...shown everytime we attempt to post.

Well...nevermind.

in your sofa
08-02-2004, 07:46 PM
wheels look too shiney

Mojo Rizen
08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
The F1 circus has a week off and I still get so catch Kimi in action. The image has a nice feel. Iíve got a bunch of racing images rotating on my computer, Iíll toss this one in and see who notices. Now get those tires scrubbed in Kimi

dom93hatch
08-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Holy crap. I love Formula One, and you are my new best friend.

cg219
08-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Very good, I could have sworn that that is a picture.

mattpegg
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi Simon,

First off - I'm a big fan of your work. It's great stuff !

Crits: To me it's a great action shot, but the car feels stationary.
Checked for some reference pics and found this beauty (you may already be
using it!) http://www.formula-one.net/pics04/velke/07-03-19b.jpg

From the ref. pic: Three things come to mind.
1. Heat haze coming from the engine.
2. DOF in relation to the track surface bottom left. Too much detail.
3. Maybe the whole image is a little too sharp ??

just my 2c... awsome render !

cheers,
m@t

mattpegg
08-03-2004, 09:22 AM
One more thing...

Lighting makes it feel like a sunset shot, which to me takes away from the scene.

cheers,
m@t

SimonGibson
08-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Well Simon, u' already know i love it :thumbsup:

only thing i could crit has already been said, the heatwave effect, or the artistic use of motion blur, the image looks spot on.

Simon.

RealityDistortion
08-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Simon !

This is the best formula one render I've ever seen. Front page material... ;)
Great illustration, like it have been made with an airbrush... Fantastic !

Cheers
Nicolas

Mateo
10-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Totally stunning work. I imagine if it is possible to match such render quality with c4d.

DavisTr@nce
10-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Very very cool :eek:

zafhos
10-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Well, good textures and good render, but the model itself is all wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.