PDA

View Full Version : [8] Review by CGNetworks

SirReality
07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Here is a review of [8] I found online at CGNetworks.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2234&page=

I found it to be a little on the vague side, the writer doesn't seem to have poked into a number of features that he mentions. Fortunately he doesn't make statements about these other than to name them and then say he hasn't used them [as opposed to some people who like to comment on things they haven't done].

My copy of [8] is currently in a UPS truck somewhere, so currently I kinda fall into the category of commenting on things I haven't used, but... the writer of the review comments on [8]'s polygon edge control. I thought I had seen example movies [probably Proton's] where some edge tools were demonstrated. I hope that the reviewer somehow missed them and that they aren't so unimpressive as to be entirely dismissed!

The review also comments that this release is the most stable the writer has seen in some time. Would other [8] users agree?

If you were reviewing [8] what would you say that the review at CGNetworks didn't? What did they get wrong? What do you think was the most accurate part of the review?

yog
07-30-2004, 03:51 PM
The edge tools in LW8 are just the same ones that were available (mainly free) as 3rd party plug-ins for LW7. Those being Edge Tools (Add/Remove), Rounder and Edge Bevel.

Unfortunately I would not say LW8 is the most stable version to date, mainly because I still have horrendious display problems where my display completely blanks until I pan/zoom in each of the viewports individually. Something I have not experienced in any other app or previous version of LW, so I'm reasonably certain it's not my hardware.

Mattoo
07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
...so I'm reasonably certain it's not my hardware.
Works just fine for me and the majority, otherwise the noise on here would be intolerable.

However, there's always incompatabilities - you just got unlucky this time. I couldn't run 7.5b or 7.5c because of blanking out text fields.... that's all gone now with [8]. I have no complaints in this regard.

SirReality - You'll find the "new" edge tools are new to most people. Most people I know need quite a bit of prodding to use or hunt down third party tools and scripts so I'm sure they're new to most.
They're also fairly well placed within the interface, a marked improvement over [7.x] - which was a complete shambles.

PixelInfected
07-30-2004, 05:10 PM
yes lw8 is more stable and strong release from 5.6 version, i use lw from lw3 on amiga, and i tell you, good investment.

you will be happy when you install and use that.

p.s. pay attention, newtek after xxx release decide to remap a lot of short key like standard windows/mac hot key, like undo on ctrl+z (option + z), cut and paste on ctrl+x ctrl+v.
i hate it, i remap all key immediately, and idem for menu, where i rebuild completely the interface.

Signal2Noise
07-30-2004, 06:16 PM
yes lw8 is more stable and strong release ...and i tell you, good investment.

I absolutely agree! :thumbsup:

Yog: What vid card and driver set are you using? I have had zero problems with view window displays. I use [8] on both a slow PIII desktop with a 64MB Radeon 7200 and a fast Dell laptop equipped with a 64MB nVidia GeForce.

yog
07-30-2004, 08:37 PM
I absolutely agree! :thumbsup:

Yog: What vid card and driver set are you using? I have had zero problems with view window displays. I use [8] on both a slow PIII desktop with a 64MB Radeon 7200 and a fast Dell laptop equipped with a 64MB nVidia GeForce.
Geforce-4 Ti 4200 128Mb on one system, a Geforce-2 MX400 32Mb on the other, both running Win-2K, both on the latest Nvidia drivers (the first thing I tried).

Lightwave-7.5, Max-6, and XSI-4 all running fine on the Ti-4200 system. Only LW8 is unusable :sad:

brap
07-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Geforce-4 Ti 4200 128Mb on one system, a Geforce-2 MX400 32Mb on the other, both running Win-2K, both on the latest Nvidia drivers (the first thing I tried).

Lightwave-7.5, Max-6, and XSI-4 all running fine on the Ti-4200 system. Only LW8 is unusable :sad:
Yog, I have the same thing here, and it is a confirmed problem, although no one seems to know what specific configurations lead to the dreaded "blank windows". There is a also a confirmed bug which causes Modeler to crash when using the Wireframe Shade display mode, which I get quite a bit when working with SubDs. This appears to be a bug only related to certain Nvidia setups using dual displays. Apparently there is new beta Nvidia driver that fixes both problems, but I haven't seen it yet.

As far as the blank window thing goes, what pretty much fixes it for me is to switch to 16 bit mode. Give that a try and see if it helps on your end.

regards,

yog
07-30-2004, 09:31 PM
As far as the blank window thing goes, what pretty much fixes it for me is to switch to 16 bit mode. Give that a try and see if it helps on your end.

Nope, no difference, but thanks for the suggestion though :thumbsup:

chikega
07-31-2004, 03:03 AM
Yog, you're not crazy - I have both a Alienware Rig with a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Plus and a HP laptop with a GeForceFX GO 5600 and LW8 is displaying the same problems on both machines. So, I'm suspecting more users are affected than many realize...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.